Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

vyvanse is wearing off after 5 hours,

vyvanse is wearing off after 5 hours,2015-04-24T10:10:53+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse vyvanse is wearing off after 5 hours,

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

heweybrad

I recently got diagnosed with adult adhd Dr. Tried strattera first had a terrible reaction with hives all over my body . So now I’ve been on 30mg of vyvanse it works good for 4 to 5 hours then I start to fade as far as concentration anybody have any advice?

REPORT ABUSE

Cassatt

This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. Fine tuning ADHD meds is an art and can take time.

Not all metabolisms are the same, so it may be you are using it up at a faster rate than expected. (This can work the other way round too, with some medications causing an affect that lasts longer than expected or wanted – like sleep meds grrrrr)

REPORT ABUSE

ramblinon

I was told by a qualified source that she knew of “children on a 50 mg dose.”  It’s supposed to be an 8-hour slow release medication. I have read posts that would suggest the daily affect of 30 mg is about the same timeframe you stated.

My personal experience was the same.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Ramblinon, I’d suggest researching the med on http://www.drugs.com (a reliable source), and discussing it with your pharmacist (since they often know more about meds than doctors do) and your doctor.

The idea that dosages should be based on the age and weight of the patient was debunked many years ago. The standard is now to base dosages on the patient’s metabolism.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@heweybrad

As always, you should discuss this with your doctor. We can only give you advice based on our own experiences, and everyone is different. There is no way to know if what works for one of us will work for you.

This is a common complaint with Vyvanse. I have seen many comments, here and elsewhere, about it not lasting as long as it’s supposed to. My personal experience is that it begins to wear off in late afternoon or early evening, so about 7-9 hours for me.

Basically, it works differently for everyone. Metabolism, as previously mentioned, has a lot to do with it. It depends on your unique brain chemistry as well and what your particular bag of ADHD tricks is, what you need help with the most. It can be tricky to find the right medication and dosage.

30 mg is a pretty low dose for Vyvanse, so you could try increasing the dosage to see if it lasts longer and works better. Just be sure to do it slowly and give yourself time to adjust to each new level. It takes a little while to really know if it is working and if you go up too fast you could miss your “therapeutic window”, the level that works best for you. And taking too much can make you feel even worse than if you were taking nothing at all.

You can add another medication as well. Some people do better with a combination of meds. But that is something you would have to discuss with your doctor.

It might help to just drink some coffee or do whatever you usually do to stimulate your brain at the time when the medication starts to wear off. I actually start to crave caffein when my meds are wearing off some days.

It is also possible to split your Vyvanse dose and take half in the afternoon, but you didn’t hear that from me.

I was taking 80 mg of Vyvanse a day, but I recently added 5 mg of Dexamphetamine and have cut the Vyvanse back to 4o mg and it seems to be working pretty well, except that the Dex doesn’t last long enough. Right now I am splitting my pills, so that I take 2.5 in the morning and then again around 1:00 pm, to try to stretch it out a little. I am hoping to increase it to 10 mg a day next time I see my doctor.  I have also been dividing the Vyvanse, 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon,  but I didn’t just tell you that and I don’t recommend it.

REPORT ABUSE

deebee
    Participant

That’s about how long it works for me. I take 30 mg three times a day with great results. I used to take Adderall and similar instant-release generics, but they would never last even four hours. I spent more time crashing than focusing!

Talk to your doctor – and best of luck.

REPORT ABUSE

verolinia123

a loved on in my family has been taking adderall and its making her sleep more and is not the same person as she was before. she takes them for work but lately she just hasn’t been focused. talk to your doctor before taking this medication. good luck

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)