Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Vyvanse long term effects

Vyvanse long term effects2013-10-10T12:16:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Vyvanse long term effects

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

csteinke

I have been on Vyvanse for two years this coming November. I am wondering if anyone out there has any long term effects experience with this drug. I think it may be time to try something else or nothing for a while and see how it goes. I am starting to notice my mood is more depressed and pessimistic the last couple of months. I am normally a very optimistic person so it kind of freaks me out a little. Also, over the last year or so I have started noticing these little “sores” on my arms and behind my ears. They start out like pimples and them turn into these little sores?? After doing some research I found that due to the “speed” like nature of this drug these types of things can happen after long term use. The drug itself has been extremely helpful to me though. Maybe it’s just time to move on… I am worried about my ongoing health on this medication. I am also worried about coming off of it. If I miss a pill, I become extremely tired and it’s hard to function. Apparently these are withdrawal symptoms. Going to visit my dr about this very soon. Any other experiences out there? Thanks in advance!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

My son’s girlfriend takes Vyvanse.  I’ll check with her about any side effects she may have noticed.  However, from where I sit, she’s drop dead gorgeous and really upbeat and outgoing, so I don’t think she has had any of the effects you are experiencing.

By all means, talk with your doctor about this.  In the mean time, I would search the internet and learn what I could.  Keep in mind that there is a lot of misinformation and outright lies about anything you choose to research, so beware the source.  Armed with what education you can get, go talk with your pharmacist.  They often are more aware and more familiar with the drugs they handle than are the doctors.  They may also have suggestions for an alternative medication.

Your symptoms may be unrelated to Vyvanse but are caused by diet, hormones, environment, other medication or combination of meds.  (My son experienced a variety of seemingly unrelated weird symptoms from the antibiotic Minocycline after about six months.  So keep in mind delayed reaction.)

Finally, I’ve not heard of anyone experiencing what you describe with Vyvanse.  But then, I wouldn’t have any reason to know.

Oh, .  .  .  and for the sake of others on the site, let us know what you find out.

REPORT ABUSE

csteinke

Thank you kc I never thought of the pharmacy route. I am going to go ask that questions right now! I will def let you know. Thanks again 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I don’t have any experience with using any of the ADHD drugs long term, so I can’t say. It is possible that you could have developed a sensitivity or allergy that you didn’t have before. But I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing as kc5jck. Take a look at all other possible causes of the symptoms too. And talking to the pharmacist is always good.

REPORT ABUSE

csteinke

Thank you blackdog :). Yes I actually stopped to speak with the pharmacist today and he said it can cause the symptoms I have. Next stop is my doc to see what he thinks. I will let you know for sure how it goes. Thanks again!

REPORT ABUSE

maddy

Hmmm?  I am a Vyvanse user and I have a skin issue like your describing.  Started as  acne, (not something I would normally get) over a year ago. attributed it to the heat that day but it has never completely gone away.

Am thinking of going back to good old Concerta. My jaw really clenches with Vyvanse.

Maddy

REPORT ABUSE

csteinke

Hi Maddy, Funny you should respond today. I literally just got back from seeing my dr about this. He is convinced it is not the medication. He said that the symptoms I describe would start happening almost immediately not after two years of use. I am not totally sure I agree but he is sending me to a dermatologist for further investigation. I asked him about Concerta and he said Vyvanse is the best thing out there for adults. He said my mood my be due to the weather? I dunno, I am going to go see the dermatologist and see how things go over the next few months. Maybe reassess in the new year. I will be sure to keep you all updated. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

csteinke

To add, I may also ask my dr to send me to see this dr: http://www.drdavidteplin.com. I saw him on a show and he focuses on adults with ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

@csteinke – If I were you, my next step would be to contact the manufacturer of the Vyvanse you’re taking for further information about the side effects you are experiencing.  They may be able to put you in contact with their studies or someone more knowledgable than either your doctor or pharmacist of the side effects and experiences of other consumers.

You’re an adult and familiar with your own body.  You are ultimately responsible for you own health.  If what you are told doesn’t ring true, keep looking.

REPORT ABUSE

vyv

csteinke so how is thing since you saw the doctor?

maybe the down mood you have is due to the season it is normal at this time of the year.

Do you take any anti-depressants? I do Wellbutrin xl and prozac to make sure i dont get any depressed moments because i had a major depression not so long ago ( i am not bipolar ) I started vyvanse 2 days ago … i noticed more focus but i still often loose touch with things… maybe its too early for me to notice a difference.

REPORT ABUSE

lolwel21

I just took Vyvanse for the first time (on top of Strattera). Around the time it wore off, I was listening to a <a href=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBOSExYWgLw”>binaural beats concentration session found here (NOTE: USE HEADPHONES).</a> It really helped! I stopped feeling the abnormally good concentration, but didn’t feel any kind of crash. I don’t know if this just works for me, so tell me what you think.

For the future…

I plan on taking a break often (i.e. only using it for finals and important stuff like that).

I also plan to continuing to do as I recommended.

REPORT ABUSE

firefox

Hi I  am on vyvanse and your comments have me concerned. I have break outs like I never had before. I know for sure certain foods and drinks effect how I react to the medication too.  For example, Starbucks coffee is the worst!!!  one grande size cup or pike place or a pumpkin spice latte and look out! Here comes spider woman!! Spazzing , climbing the walls , worse than robin Williams and Eddie murphy stand up Routine combined I tell you!!!

I tried to have a small cup of coffee , and different brands , decaf even , some fared a bit better , but overall , caffeine , in addition to a stimulate medication is not a good idea.

Green tea was okay, hot water and lemon was fine too.

My adhd friends ends and relatives who are not medicated need caffeine .  I started a food and drink journal to monitor for trends

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @firefox

My advice would be to look at other possible causes of your breakouts as well before deciding that it is the Vyvanse. Unless you are having really severe side effects, stick with it until you are sure if it is working or not.

I have no problem drinking coffee in addition to 60 mg of  Vyvanse. But I would recommend staying away from the Starbucks for sure. If you do drink coffee, opt for a darker roast. The lighter it is the more caffein it has. And consider watering it down or adding lots of milk.

Tea and lemon water are much healthier alternatives though, so if you don’t really miss the coffee stick with them.

@lolwel21

I strongly recommend you don’t start and stop the Vyvanse suddenly. It is not healthy to do it that way. Stopping suddenly can cause withdrawal and starting again after it is out of your system will give you a jolt.

You could try just gradually reducing the dosage and then gradually increasing again. But you should discuss it with your doctor first.

This might be helpful:

http://www.corepsych.com/2007/11/vyvanse-for-add-adhd-the-water-titration-recipe/

Read the comments that follow as well to see Dr. Parker’s responses to some of the questions. But again, please don’t self adjust without first talking to your doctor.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)