Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Vyvanse stopped working

Vyvanse stopped working2014-06-24T12:22:53+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Vyvanse stopped working

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

cbarefoot82

So today is day #6 on 20mg of Vyvanse, after stopping the drug a few years ago due to loss of job/insurance. I was previously on 60mg after a year of adjustments and it was great! Due to my blood pressure being high, my new doctor wanted to start me out on the smallest dose available. The first few days were great minus the nasia (just like years ago starting out). The past few days, I’ve had zero effect from the 20mg and I know I’ll have to be given a stronger dose. I tried just taking 2 of the 20mg but it hasn’t helped. I called my doctor this morning and notified her of my situation. I just got a new job and I’m (for once) a responsible adult that can focus and be productive.. I really hate to wait an entire month for a med adjustment and lose what progress I’ve made. Has anyone else had a lapse in meds an then go back on at a low dose just to find out that they definitely need the higher dosage? My new doctor seemed reluctant to give me my vyvanse in the first place but I’ve been able to control my blood pressure and change my habit’s in order to be healthier physically, now I’d like to be better mentally!! Thanks all, I’m new on here and could use the info… When I was on meds years ago in school the only thing people said about ADD was,”we are bad kids that just need our butts beat” lol

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Argh! I just lost my whole response. And it took a really long time to type. 😡

Okay, one more time….

Hi @cbarefoot82, welcome. 🙂

You would be surprised how many people still think kids with ADD just need a good spanking. But we have come a long way.

I have been taking Vyvanse for about 8 months now and I’m at 60 mg. My doctor had the same concerns about blood pressure and kept me at 20 mg for an agonizing 4 months. When he finally increased it and my blood pressure went down he didn’t have an argument anymore. (low blood pressure is not a typical response)

My experience at the moment is that it isn’t working at all. I’m forgetful, scattered, spacey, lazy and unmotivated….. Perfectly normal. in other words. I am actually going to try gradually reducing the dosage to see if there is any change.

However, everyone is different and you can’t tell how you will react based on anyone else’s experience.

I just have a few words of advice:

First, you have to give it time to work. It may take a few weeks to really be able to tell how much of a difference it makes. 20 mg is a really low dose for most people and you won’t feel that much difference with it. Also, because of the way it works, you don’t really feel it “kick in” like other meds.

Second, your doctor is right to be cautious about increasing it. She is probably too cautious because most doctors don’t understand how the meds work very well, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Third, don’t double your dosage like that. Especially since you have had high blood pressure. Vyvanse is a lot stronger than it seems and going up too fast can be bad. It’s also really easy to overshoot and end up taking too much. Dr. Charles Parker recommends increasing by no more than 10 mg a week. Since the capsules only come in 20 mg increments, you need to use water titration to do that. I’ll go get the link to the article explaining it in a minute. Trying to do that was how I lost everything the last time.

And last but not least, the dreaded “you have to do the work yourself”. The medication can only do so much. You still need to work at it and learn to control your symptoms. You are doing great by changing habits and adopting a healthier lifestyle. Eating properly, sleeping enough, drinking plenty of water and exercising are all important. You need to identify the areas where you have trouble and try to find coping strategies that will work as well.

You might want to go talk to your pharmacist about your concerns and see what they have to say too. They have more knowledge about the meds and how they work than the doctors do. And just try to explain things to your doctor and work with her on it. You could also consider the option of switching to a different medication.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

cbarefoot82

Thank you blackdog!!! Nope, not too long for me to read lol… I really appreciate your info on the matter. I think I’m just being impatient because I remember from before, how well vyvanse helped me!! Just really worried that I’ll end up screwing up at work and lose yet another job!! I’m definitely trying my different outlets and just found a local seminar (once a month) for adult ADD/ADHD.. I’ll just continue on my current Rx and see how it all works out at my next appointment. I definitely understand my Dr’s methods and reasoning due to the fact that she wants to see how my body reacts.. Just frustrating lol remember how it “used to be” and how it is now 🙂 but again, thank you very much for the info, gonna check out those links now

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

You’re very welcome. 🙂

I try to keep things short because a lot of us don’t like to read for very long, myself included. I sometimes just have to skip reading a comment if it’s too long and I’m having a bad day.

And I almost always fail to keep things short because, like a lot of us, I don’t know when to shut up. 😐

Being impatient is just a given when you have ADHD. Plus, you are really anxious to get going and try to turn things around. I know the feeling.

I think the usual advice is to take one step at a time and try not to jump ahead and assume the worst, as we  tend to do. But I see you have found a therapist and a support group so you will have tons of advice now.

Good luck with the job hunt. Remember, they are lucky to have you for an employee. And if they can’t see that it’s their problem, not yours. 😉

REPORT ABUSE

cbarefoot82

Haha!!! Yeah I’m definitely learning to just be myself on here… I keep forgetting that this is our spot lol! Really appreciate your time and advice along with the encouragement!! I’ll remember to (here comes a magic word) FOCUS on my impatient tendencies lmao!!! I’m ready for the process of controlling my symptoms for sure…… But ya know that whole instant gratification wish always seem to try and overtake progress!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

uglytoad

My boyfriend was on 70 mg of Vyvanse.  It seemed to work really well for him, however when he came down he had so much anger.  He recognized it and has switch to Concerta.  The anger is still there and we don’t think the Concerta works as well.  When you were on 60mg, did you have any anger or irritability outbursts?  There is a new drug called Intuniv (non-stimulant) I have been researching and seems like it helps with the anger and frustration.  Was thinking to have him go back to Vyvanse and take Intuniv with it.

REPORT ABUSE

cbarefoot82

@ uglytoad… When I was on the 60mg (which I’m up to again already) a few years back I did have some anger/irritability issues but never took anything for it, I’m not big on taking meds at all, especially when already taking one a day for behavior modification… However, I understand the need, vyvanse has been losing psychiatric support as of late, and I can understand why.. The mechanism in which the drug is delivered to the system depends on an enzyme produced by the liver during digestion, there are some professional’s that claim this can cause all sorts of side effects and added setbacks.. I’d have to agree, I do not like vyvanse at all, it has no effect on my add symptoms at all, I’ve had headaches, frequent diarrhea, and of coarse the anger.. I’m going back to Adderall XR on August 4th when my current prescription of vyvanse is finished.. I’ll be starting on 20mg-30mg as it is much stronger than vyvanse and has (in the past) always seemed to be my “optimal”. I can’t really comment on the other meds because I’ve never had them, but maybe you and your boyfriend should consider Adderall or at least speak to his doctor… Vyvanse was and is expensive, Adderall not so much… It’s a win-win for me because of my co-pay!! Good luck and keep me posted, I hope the two of you find a med(s) combo that will help

REPORT ABUSE

uglytoad

Thankfully for us Vyvanse is covered under our health care.

I’m not sure he would go on Adderall, at our CHADD group there is a lady on Adderall and she seems out of it all the time, not to mention super fidgety.  The psychologist he was seeing also commented that Adderall was not a great drug to be on because of its side effects.  I’ve done some research as well on it and am hoping to find something else for him.

Im going to ask him to go back on a lower dose of Vyvanse and take the Intuniv, and perhaps a Dexedrine of needed in in the evenings.  I’ll keep you posted!!

I just found this site today and have been reading like crazy.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Uglytoad, I’ve found that it really helps to ask your pharmacist any med-related questions.

Often, they know more about meds than doctors do.

Dr. Charles Parker’s book, “The New ADHD Medication Rules” is another great source of information. A very easy read, and only about $8 for the Kindle version!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)