Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Want to work

Want to work2013-11-26T15:36:14+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Want to work

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Techdog

I am 57 have applied for many jobs but how old are you 57.No calls back no calls returned. Took several IQ tests scored high took several career questionnaires aircraft engineer, but have been a mechanic all my life so far. At 57 what are the options? I would like to take a one or two year course do I have enough time even though retirement will not happen. Is there alternate support for the older worker ?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Hello Techdog,

One of the things I have gotten very good at, is finding jobs. That is because I have been let go from so MANY!

I don’t know your situation, but one common thing I see on a lot of resume’s is the candidate puts up EVERY job they have ever had, since college. That works, when you are under 30, but not so much so after.

Put up the last 8-10 years. Use the extra space to really cover the relevant experience you have, that would make you a fit for THAT job. At 57, you have experience. You are a mentor. You don’t need to be taught how to do the job, just how that job fits in the company. DO NOT include your birthday, or any other piece of information that would allow them to pre screen you out.

Look at the resume as a fishing lure, and you are trying to get a phone call or interview (a bite). The resume is not an autobiography, or a detailed history of Techdog. DON’T LIE! You want to convey the message “You want to talk to me, because I am the solution to your problems”. Which you are.

What works for me is: At the interview, stick to answers which explain your accomplishments using the S.O.A.R method. the Situation, the Obstacles, the Action, and Results. That makes a short two sentence example to answer almost any question they can ask. It also lets the interviewer know you know what you are doing. For me, it keeps me from rambling.

Remember. Interviewers are basically clueless on how to run an interview. We aren’t. Why? If you are anything like me, you have spent your whole life looking for jobs.

OH! Another thing: ADD/ADHD gives us a positive attitude and lots of energy. Let that show, when you are talking to them. They can hear that energy.

Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I can’t really improve on shutterbug’s advice. I don’t have that much experience and I suck at interviews.

I like the point that most interviewers don’t know what they are doing though.  I never thought of it that way before but it makes sense and makes it a lot less scary.

Enthusiasm makes a difference for sure. I am not a naturally enthusiastic person and I have major depressive disorder so I don’t do well at being all “yay, I really want to work here!” Especially since I usually don’t really want to work there. But it pays to act like you are really excited to be there and you really want the job. A friend of mine used to be a manager at a Blockbuster store. When one was opening   up near me he gave me tips how to get hired. He said when they ask “where do you see yourself in 5 years?” answer “managing a Blockbuster store”. I never applied for the job for some reason. But it gave me a better idea of  how to answer that question when it comes up.

Confidence is also important. Don’t go in with the attitude that they won’t hire you because you’re too old. Act like as if you don’t even know that it’s a problem.

Being 57 is not necessarily a bad thing. As shutterbug said, you have experience and don’t need any training. Also, you are more likely to be responsible and reliable. The trick is to find a place where they will see your age as an asset. Smaller privately owned places might be better. And places where the managers are a little more mature themselves.

Of course if all else fails you could be a Walmart greeter. 😉

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)