Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Weird vyvanse side effects???

Weird vyvanse side effects???2014-10-08T01:38:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse Weird vyvanse side effects???

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

grace

Hi 🙂 I’m 21 years old and brand new to this website and I have some really important questions about vyvanse and it’s side effects.

For as long as I can remember I have always felt spaced out, irritable, anxious, depressed, emotional, and a little out of place (I have also been dealing with serious family problems since the age of 10).  About 7 months (April) ago I was extremely stressed out with work, and had a serious relationship end which led me to become more depressed than ever. I finally had enough of how I was feeling and decided to go to a family doctor that my mom works with. I told her how I was feeling and she came to the conclusion that I had major depression. It made complete sense to me at the time so we decided to start an antidepressant to help me cope since I would be gone all summer doing something I love. She put me on Lexapro 10mg and the next day at work I was extremely emotional, spaced out/out of it and dizzy. That day I had like 3 meltdowns and had to lock myself in the restroom until I was done crying and calm enough to go back out. 3 weeks later I left for the summer and put up with these side effects for about 7 week hoping they would subside but they never did (I really felt like I was losing my mind). We decided to switch to Zoloft 25mg and I stayed on that for another 6 weeks. I wasn’t as emotional on it as the Lexapro but I still felt really spaced out and felt like I couldn’t think straight 50% of the time. When I returned home I decided to stop the Zoloft all together. 4 weeks later I went back to the doctor who prescribed me the antidepressants and told me that she couldn’t do anything else to help me and referred me to a psychiatrist.

I was then diagnosed with ADD. He prescribed me adderall IR 10mg once a day, I woke up and took it once a day as directed. I felt the effects of being more calmer, less irritable, and more alert for about 3 hours the first 2-3 days. The rest of the month I wasn’t feeling any different while taking it and just got really tired while I was on it (I was easily going back to sleep an hour after taking it). At the end of the month I told my doctor how I was feeling and he said that I was having an adverse reaction to it and that it should be giving me energy and not making me tired.

So then he put me on Vyvanse 30mg once a day. I take it around 11:30 or whenever I wake up as directed. The effects of being attentive and focused last about 4-6 hours on me. The first 4 days I really felt that it was keeping me calm and more alert, I really was able to hold a conversation with people around me. I have now been on the Vyvanse for 8 days and have been feeling really dizzy, tired, and sorta out of it since day 4. It’s really concerning because I just started a new job yesterday, and I have a class that starts next week. When I don’t take the vyvanse I’m super spaced out, unmotivated, and inattentive.

I’m really not sure what to do. Should I stick it out and see if the side effects will go away? Is the dosage too high or low? Is there something else wrong with me? Or am I just weirdly sensitive to meds. Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any help/input/advice is extremely appreciated!!

REPORT ABUSE

eris

Hi Grace,

Boy can I relate to this story. I tried Ritalin, Ritalin ER, and Vyvanse. The Vyvanse made me sick to my stomache. I wanted to give up on meds thinking maybe my diagnosis was wrong until I took Concerta. I tried it because of a recommendation from online chats. It was like a miracle to me. My sons had the same reactions to the meds too. They are both thriving on the Concerta. It is really a trial and error. Every med works differently with each person’s metabolism and brand of ADD. Do not give up-one will work for you. I am so in favor of seeing a psychiatrist to properly get diagnosed and get the meds straight. My kids pediatrician told me not to look for trouble in my kids – they were fine. A good psychiatrist was such a great help to us all. I brought all the tests and reports back to my doc and he had to agree-but he was no help in the diagnosis. Hang in there with the meds. Keep trying different ones til the cocktail is right-you will be glad you did. It is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

grace

Thank you  for the help eris! I see my psychiatrist again next week and I’m going to mention adding a booster of Dexedrine to try out because that’s what he said we would try if the vyvanse doesn’t work. Also I’m hoping that upping the Vyvanse dosage might help a little before completely switching over to a different med.

How did you know that the Concerta was right for you compared to the Ritalin and Ritalin ER?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)