Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What do you say to your colleagues at work?

What do you say to your colleagues at work?2012-03-30T19:51:44+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Bend The Workplace To You What do you say to your colleagues at work?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Cyclone

Thanks Bill,

I suppose I should clarify that it was never my intent to blame anything on my conditions. As you suggest, I am much more interested in focusing on how to be a more effective member of the team.

But I think the label should help, not that it does. This is forward thinking, not an observation. That’s not to say toofat is wrong, it certainly could blow up in my face. And I’m not under the illusion that everyone sees ADD in a positive light. Or even knows what it is, for that matter. If I were under such an illusion, I would never have started this thread. What I’m really trying to work out is how to use the “label” in a positive manner.

I’m going to quit this thread and start a new one. After the initial post I realized that I hadn’t really posed the question right, and certainly didn’t use an appropriate title. I’ll add a link to the new thread after I’ve posted it, if anyone reading this one is interested.

toofat – I really do appreciate your feedback and you’re experience is valuable. But I want to look forward, not backward. I’ll make this clearer in the new thread.

Best regards,

Cyclone

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Cyclone – I think I know what you’re getting at in this thread and it’s a good thing. Of course my perception might be wrong but I think I ‘get it’. But then again…

I think my problem is that naturally any manager should want to utilise the skills of his or her team to maximise output, efficiency, harmony or whatever. However, I am not quite sure how declaring your ADHD can help that. Everyone has different skills, weaknesses and strengths irrespective of whether they are ADHD or not. Therefore, declaring your skills for the good of the team/company is great. But why are your skills or the way in which you work necessarily an ADHD thing? Yes there are some common issues we seem to have but we are just part of a continuum of abilities and flaws – that’s everyone in the human race. As toofat would say… Jus sayin…

REPORT ABUSE

Cyclone

Hi Scattybird,

Here’s the new thread: http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=2504. What I want is to answer exactly what you have asked here.

-Cyclone

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Cyclone……I hear you and I do get it as well…..clearly, I understand, I believe I do anyway. I’m all over ScattyB & Bill….on this. Skills strengths…..or identification of shortfalls is something to work with, or for, team and individual enhancement….’GREAT”. However…it is my take that making ADD statement may actually cloud the issue (people and their perception) and others ability to deal with the real issues such skill enhancement and or development.

By the way, don’t get me wrong…..on a morale level I believe what your proposing is right, I do…….personally I operate there, or try to, always. I do my best to hold myself to my own high morale standard ( whether I’m being observed or not )….but……….my experience is….well let’s say…often I observe people verbally subscribe to compassion in theory, but not always in practice…..unfortunate but true.

Anyway Cyclone, please, I don’t wish to be confrontational……I hope I’m not, just sharing soooo……good luck with your pursuit.

Best of luck actually!1 :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are quite a few diagnosed ADDers at my work. It’s easy to see in others when you have it and are being treated for it. Also, some types of jobs are attractive and allow a person with ADD to shine. My job has a little bit of repetitiveness, but not enough to really be boring. As long as we have work to do, I’m pretty interested. It’s hard to suffer through the slow times, but I manage.

Understanding that reasonable accommodations can be made if necessary but still not wanting any accommodation at all is my position right now. I want to succeed on my own. That doesn’t mean helping others understand a little about ADD isn’t a positive thing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you play the ADHD/ADD card it puts the employer on notice that you have a disability and it becomes very hard for them to fire you without providing you accommodations. However, getting yourself promoted, difficulties amongst your peers perception of this and you’re bosses shift in attitude weigh against it. But, if this is a job you love or need, you have to weigh both sides of this question. It is a tough call but discuss it with your family doctor who will need to advocate for you if you do expose yourself. In the US, the human rights call is a bit harder than in Canada or Europe.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

With all respect to all previous comments, may I simply state that what has worked for me – and the environment where I work has perhaps the least tolerance for such things since they look for physical signs – I have not only the psychiatrists diagnosis which in and of itself is all that is required but in addition to that, I have created and posted some signs at my work space describing what ADHD look like to them “you” and what are some steps I take to resolve or correct it. Also sharing the concept of the clock without hands which shows others that I have no concept of time. This has served to have people ask me more about ADHD and how it affects me and how I work around it. At first, people that it was contagious or that I was some weird freak of nature but my self-confidence has carried me through so much it is ridiculous. People now come to me for answers to almost every question under the sun. I have become the go-to guy in the office to get stuff done – that would be the over-achiever part of my personalty coming through, thanks to ADHD – just another positive characteristic of ADHD which is positive.

At one time, I thought that ADHD was a curse but the more I learn, the more I learn that it is a blessing – some of the most successful people currently and those in history have been ADHD – all outside the box thinkers and doers.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

It’s great to see that some of you that are ADHD are successful, but I cannot relate to the notion of being ‘successful’, or even ‘effective’, for I’m more familiar with abject failure. I have a self-assurance that defies logic for I am a bona fide loser! I asked in another thread (can’t remember which one) what the so-called strengths, or benefits of ADHD are, for I can only really perceive this afliction as a curse…

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Tiddler needs to do her study on the effect of ADHD on success. Both the previous posters attribute their success or lack thereof on ADHD. It would be interesting to interview a collection of the ADHD afflicted who are on opposite ends of the success scale to determine why they feel as they do and what factors make the difference.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Yes, it would be interesting to see the stats on that. I only know failure, but wonder if it is possible to divorce myself from mediocrity if I can understand what ADHD is, and how it impacts upon me. Further, if that impact can not only be reduced, but perhaps even eliminated, and the almost unthinkable notion of making the transition from ‘loser’ to ‘winner’! ‘Pie in the sky’, another false dawn, or a part of the metamorphisis? Where on the scale do you sit kc5jck?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Unlike Distracted, I started thinking that ADHD may have been more of a benefit . . . and I think it has caused me to lead a more interesting life. However, as I learn more, I believe that ADHD has had a huge negative impact in several important areas of my life such as relationships and some aspects of parenting (discipline).

I think that others see me as more than just moderately successful. However, given my education and skills, I feel I should have done far better than I have. But I suppose success is somehow similar to the tin man’s heart and not so much what I think, but what others think of me. (As if I cared.)

From 1975 to 1986 I had a good job working with computers in industrial control. I did a variety of things from 1986 to 1997 when I started some businesses which I am now in the process of liquidating. In all, pretty successful for someone of average or above average intellegence. I found out I had ADHD and was diagnosed a year ago . . . after my son got diagnosed. I will occasionally take adderall, maybe two or three times a month. I don’t notice much effect from the medicine.

However, good my short term focus is, meaning I can stick with an interest for several months or more, my long term focus tends to wander. So instead of being able to focus and stick with something like say physics and becoming a great theoretical astrophysicist which should be doable with an IQ of 155+, my mind wanders and roams, learning a little about everything, for example enough auto mechanics to replace the fuel injected engine on my 280Z, but not very much about anything. So I end up with the following skills and education or equivalent:

BA in Computer Science – majored in Math

BS Mechanical engineering specializing in Yacht Design

BA Accounting – passed all parts Uniform CPA Exam first time

Extra class amateur radio operator

Interests include:

Astronomy and cosmology

auto mechanics

sailing – crew of barque Elissa out of Galveston

model shipbuilding

radio controlled planes

ancient civilizations and world prehistory

cabinet making

wiring, plumbing, drywall, carpentry (I restored an old Queen Anne house we lived in)

theoretical physics – quantum mechanics and relativity

cooking and baking

abnormal psychology

ancient and medieval history

various topics in math

religion and bible studies

Classics – greek mythology

music – play organ, piano, harmonica, accordion, concertina, recorder, tin whistle, dulcimer – built a harpsichord

Irish and dance hall music

Texas master gardener

Mayan archeology

investing

real estate

molecular biology

furniture refinishing

fairy tales

geneology

neurology – brain function

OH, AND CAN’T FORGET CATS wife says I’m a cat freak, we got an even dozen – all colors and sizes

So ADHD is probably responsible for the variety of interests but prevents me from getting an encyclopedic knowledge of any of it or creating a lifelong career. I suppose if I examined very closely what I considered important in all of this, I pretty well hit my goals.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Well, from where I sit that’s an impressive CV in anybody’s language! Well done! I cannot offer a single thing as an achievement 😆

I was a high-school drop-out.

In my mid 30’s I did a national entrance exam for University and surprised myself with my results. I expected to fail, but did well enough to be able to commence most degrees, but settled on ‘Philosophy and Religion’ and ‘Writing’. I lost interest very quickly, missed many lectures, and hardly bothered with tutorials. I still passed my exams, but only lasted two semesters before abandoning it altogether. Every due assignment was handed in late.

I’ve had a variety of jobs and loathed every one of them. My life has been unconventional, and a complete exercise in futility as a perpetual protest against conformity and servility. I’ve been a grand failure, by anybody’s standards….but, I’ve had a blast along the way, and despite all of my fuck-ups and blunders I’ve had a rollicking good time. Some of the time. I recognised very early on that I was different to everybody else, and I’ve been a misfit wherever I have been, but still somehow stoic, and at times I’ve found it impossible to conceal my complete disregard for the approval of others that seems to be a craving for almost everybody else. I’ve always shunned the herd before it could shun me :)…as for my IQ I have no idea what it might be, but would expect it to be middle of the road. Like most things I couldn’t give a shit about what the labels might denote, imply, or proclaim. I’m just me, and as disaster prone as I am, it’s all that I’ve known.Except for one thing, and that was the reason for my being so ‘different’: ADD….and I’m just beginning to try and understand what that means….

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

KC!

OMG, man! You and I have GOT to talk some time! Take away the history, I prefer current events. Add photography. Take away archeology. add Geology… 4 wheeling, and robotics and you have…. me. Scary. :)

I renew my request: We need PERSONAL MESSAGING! KA7RTA_HF@hotmail.com

I have not talked on a HAM radio in decades, but I am KA7RTA and I am old school HF.

@Alan,

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. When I was first diagnosed and was viewing what I saw as the wreckage of my life, it took a lot of prodding from my wife and my councelor to start looking at all the things I have done in a positive light. I am sure you will get there as well!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)