Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What documentation for my employer?

What documentation for my employer?2013-09-16T13:30:03+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace The Law/Employment What documentation for my employer?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

nastyjones

I’m thinking of asking for an small accommodation to help me out at work.  I want to know what the legal requirement is (I mean legal in the Province of Ontario)  that I need to show my employer.  I don’t want to give them any more of my medical history than I am legally required to do.

Do I need to provide documentation to them that my ADD has been diagnosed by a psychiatrist? My point is, If I was in a wheelchair they wouldn’t ask me to prove it would they?

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I would check with the Human Rights Legal Support Centre. Start with the info on their website and if the answer isn’t there give them a call. Your doctor may also be able to answer that question.

You will need to have a letter from your doctor. That I know for sure. Whether you need one from the psychiatrist or not I don’t know. But you will need to have some proof of diagnosis. ADD is an “invisible” disability. If you were in a wheelchair it could clearly be seen but no one can see inside your brain.

REPORT ABUSE

jojosephine

Be careful with this read the forum for “have you ever asked for accommodation at work..”

Some people have had unfavorable results.

They may not be able to fire you for having it. But in all ignorance, Bosses can find other ways to “let you go”

REPORT ABUSE

nastyjones

Ok, just got off the phone with the Ontario Human Right Legal Support center who told me I don’t need to tell my employer exactly what my disability is but I should have a letter from my doctor stating I need an accommodation & I need to be very specific as to what that accommodation consists of.  Also, an accompanying letter from me.  They were very helpful.

Hopefully, this information might be of use to others considering the same course of action as me.

Paul

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)