Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What is avoiding things you know need to be done called? And how do you stop it?

What is avoiding things you know need to be done called? And how do you stop it?2012-12-08T08:08:47+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community What is avoiding things you know need to be done called? And how do you stop it?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know I have some trouble with this myself, but my 6 year old son is the worst for it. He will refuse to go to the bathroom at school (a combination of lack of motivation, and transition issues I think), and wet himself on an almost daily basis.

Its gotten to the point that the school suggested he wear pull-ups, he really disliked that idea (but even that didn’t motivate him).

He isn’t on any medication yet, (will be seeing a psychiatrist in jan), but will that maybe help?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Just to clarify, we’re pretty sure its not physical. He says “it’s not fun” because “there are no toys in the bathroom”. Which I can somewhat understand as I put off mundane tasks like that quite often. However, I’m old enough to know when its going to be “too late”.

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

Oops could reveal too much here but I did have issues as a little kid with the “number 2” and leaving it too late. Too scared I would miss something i guess. Grew out of it when I copped crap for smelling (like crap).

Me and this forum could be a bad combination, feeling too at home and revealing more than I thought I ever would already. Not to mention I am now 4 of the 5 latest updates at the bottom.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha! That’s happened to me, I mean the dominating the updates, not crapping my pants ;)

Seriously though, I figure this forum is pretty safe. We’re all mostly unjudgy, and have even been through the same or similar experiences.

Also its pretty anonymous.

Back on topic once you “copped crap for smelling (like crap)” did you have a lot of social fallout? That’s my concern. While generally charming, his impulse control and work ethic, isn’t making him any friends. And kids can be mean. I’m concerned they’ll start noticing his “accidents”.

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

I was always on the outer anyway, too quick to anger over “silly stuff” for most of the kids but I don’t recall that being a driver for them picking on me much as I got to the end of my primary schooling, gave them plenty ofother aammunition for that :-(

REPORT ABUSE

Darlene

I can maybe understand how he feels. When I don<t take my meds, thats exactly how I feel. I am not motivated to do anything. It takes sheer willpower in the mornings to get it and take it, then once I do everything is fine.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)