Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What jobs have you enjoyed?

What jobs have you enjoyed?2010-12-06T07:11:22+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers What jobs have you enjoyed?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t honestly say that I’ve ever had a job i’ve truly enjoyed. Usually because of my ADD they have eventually bored the daylights out of me. Getting up early in the morning, struggling to get to work, punching in, doing a boring, repetitive task, struggling to get home, a few hours to yourself, then it’s off to bed and the cycle repeats itself. What’s there to love?

There is one thing, however, I do enjoy tremendously, and if only I had known back in my younger day, I would have pursued it, and that is playing music. I love playing my bass in the band I’m in, and although we’re just struggling to get off the ground, it’s more fun than I’ve ever had working for a living. I havn’t made much money at it yet, and I might never make any money at it, but it sure beats punching a time card!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know that I cannot keep working for the company I am with, my Director cannot wait for the day I am fired. Unfortunately I am very good at what I do, the first scientist in the company with my expertise, a female in a Japanese company, and cannot just sit there looking pretty and just allow bad scientific work continue in clinical trials. The worst thing that happened for my Director is a Flow Cytometrist, with a strong passion for what I do, was hired. I am a high performer who gives 110% to all I do and take great pride in my work.

I am trying to find a new direction to go in where I can use my professional skills and the positives of the ADD.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for a scientist (Medical Technologist that has specialized in Flow Cytometry) who: sees things in ways others do not (can think out of the box), I have improved current l lab processes and made changes to increase efficiency / productivity, and I perform best when in a very busy environment with a team to rely on for help. I can work independently however, not in isolation (solitary confinement) without any support, this is my current situation. My Director refuses to hire a Technologist to help and do the grunt work so I can do the research, go to meetings and write reports.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow….. just look at you guys!!!!!! My god……..dumb….lazy…..stupid….. NOT……. Horsepower ladies and gentlemen…HORSEPOWER!!!!

I read your page here and ……..I’m awe struck!!!! We…actually you…… are truly gifted… truly.

Dr..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Opps that was was supposed to be signed.toofat……I was was…….blown away, lost in the moment….. forgot to use my handle

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’ve not done anything super-professional before (cos i keep dropping out of education before i get qualified for anything) but i’ve talked my way into a few jobs, and those i’ve loved most have been:

1) working with 7 years olds in a school environment as a classroom support worker, helping to teach art and design stuff, the usual reading and writing and cooking and science and history and the rest of it.

i loved the constant movement and quickly-changing scenarios, the endless questions needing instant answers, having 10 little monsters tugging on your sleeves or waving their arms and yelling “miss! miss!’ like their lives depended on getting your attention. finding the best way to explain or demonstrate something, captivating your audience, seeing that lightbulb moment when they ‘get it’ for the first time, encouraging them to think and ask questions and work stuff out for themselves- fostering confidence and independance and team skills, bribing and negotiating and coaxing a little bit at a time out of special needs learners who really struggled- thats awesome stuff to be part of.

and getting waved at excitedly out of school by kids who are so proud to point out to their mum that ‘thats jen! she helps in my class!’ – who’ll run up and hug you completely unabashedly, and make you feel like a genius and total hero completely unexpectedly, for knowing how to do something that you take completely for granted- like balancing a spoon on your nose, or knowing how to work out the 9x table on your fingers- that makes every day a whole new adventure and a constant reminder of what it feels like to be a kid and truly living in the moment.

2) doing outreach/detached youth work- dragging my frozen arse out in a minibus to the end of nowhere at 6pm on a winters evening- to spend 3 hours hopping up and down and rubbing your hands together for warmth in a creaky bus-shelter with flasks of hot chocolate, or roasting slowly to death lazing crosslegged in the grass of a playground on a late summers afternoon, surrounded by bottles of soda and plastic cups- and the inevitable horde of teenagers who swarm from out of nowhere once someone clues in that there are free snacks to be had for talking to ‘them lot who come ’round to make sure we’re alright’.

again- the thrill of the complete unknown, and having to handle it with the right balance of humour, respect and authority- listening to a nervous untrusting 13 year old who thinks she might be pregnant- but is scared to tell her dad- and helping her work out what she’s gonna do without taking over and making her run, working with kids who are into drugs to help minimise their risk of harm without coming across as another of those bossy smartarsed adults who tell them what to do every day, getting them information about grants and programs they can use to better their community and their own lives, helping them to liase with local government and build partnerships to work towards a mutual gain- watching that whole dynamic shift, steering them towards change a little at a time, and just seeing them change fweek by week from crazy kids to confident young adults.

3) working for a community charity in their office base- doing everything and anything as it comes up- answering the phone and dealing smoothly with a grumpy old stick-in-the-mud one minute, surfing the web trying to find out something obscure about charity law the next, designing fliers and traipsing around town in the rain distributing them and pitching our group to anyone who will listen, smooth-talking companies to give us the stuff that we need to set up and run a girls-football team- for free or in exchange for advertising and good publicity, then running a candyfloss machine at a university freshers fayre after lunch and getting totally mobbed and covered in sugar, coaxing a rabble of reticent teens into writing a press release about what they’ve acheived recently after school, and trying to keep a straight face while watching them taking photos to send to the local paper along with it, then writing a big money funding bid with slightly sticky fingers and rainfrizzled hair at the end of the day, keeping your fingers crossed that you’ll get the cash, while mentally trying to come up with ‘just incase’ contingency plans so the young parents group don’t lose their meeting-room.

there is a lot of having things dropped on you out of nowhere, not having a clue how to make something happen, and getting that black hole in your stomach of ‘oh my god!’ along with the butterflies of ‘this could be awesome!’ – but at the same time grinning widely and saying with great enthusiasm ‘we’ll work something out- i’m gonna get right on it!’ and knowing you will work it out, come hell or high water, one way or another.

i need to do a job that i can go to thinking ‘what the hell are we gonna be infor today’, and come home from completely frazzled and unable to think straight, but having laughed until it hurt, wiped away the odd tear, and done something that really really mattered.

…………i spent 2 weeks doing data input from 9 to 5 monday to friday at a friends workplace once when they were crazily understaffed and behind with paperwork, and i was unemployed- tallying up peoples hours and mileage, and processing payroll paperwork- and despite the good company of a mate and being able to sing along to the radio all day (or at least until the callcentre people upstairs buzzed down and yelled at us for making too much noise) it was quite possibly the longest, dullest fortnight of my entire life. if i hadn’t caught a head cold and stayed home for 3 days in the middle of it, i might have lost it entirely. i was offered a really nicely paying job by the CEO on my last day, and i don’t think anybody has ever seen me run so fast while declining so graciously, and i doubt they ever will again. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the perfect job for my ADHD, Physiotharapist. I get to walk around 90% of the day and I get to talk all day. That being said… I hated my career choice for the first 15 years… now that I have been diagnosed and on meds and I have a wonderful boss… I LOVE my job. The part of my job that I have the most difficulty with is charting and that is for 2 reasons….1. I put it off and put it off 2. Then when I finally do get to it, I chat with all the nurses as I am charting which slows me down and causes ommisions :(

All in all it’s a great career for me!

T.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only job that I ever had that kept my attention for more than a year was Marine infantry. A 5 to 14 mile run and a couple of classes in the morning and jumping out of helicopters after lunch, almost every day was different. Now that I work for a corporation I make sure that I volunteer for multiple projects so I can bounce around without getting stuck on one project. So for the good part I’m always the go to guy at work because I can handle a thousand projects at once but the bad part is college isn’t set up like work so I don’t have a degree. Which means I have more responsibility than most people in management without the pay.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Shane

What is Marine infantry? I love to scuba dive and there is a lot going on with flow cytometry and studying the plankton and algea in the oceans. I have been thinking about relocating from Chicago to south Florida, Miami area.

TLY

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Man! After reading some of your stories, I think I have to change my handle to Mayor of Simpleton. I’m just a graphic designer. Couldn’t handle too much education, got bored and walked out of many of my classes. Graphics at the time was great for me, but since the computer came into play, it’s been very different. I did enjoy a stint working freelance for several years. Worked out of my house, made my own schedule for the most part. Health insurance and taxes made me take a full-time job. I’d love to get my own business up and running again. Loved the freedom.

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

LOL. I failed accounting 101 three times. Nine years of college with no degree. I’m a software engineer and design systems these days, and menial detail is not part of my being… I get to envision the big picture, resolve the business problems, and create stuff for a staff of awesome geniuses to build. Multitasking? Hell, I forget my name if the phone rings.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I am a project manager. This sounds completely insane for someone with ADD, but it isn’t. Project management is dealing with crises or planning how to avoid crises. There is always some kind of drama going on every day. The paperwork sucks and the tedious detail of the paperwork is maddening. So I find myself looking forward to the next crisis.

My wife and I are trying to get me a position with FEMA (in the US it is Federal Emergency Management Administration). We both laughed about that one, because I have made a career of fixing companies crises and then moving on because I get bored. At FEMA, I would be constantly going from crisis to crisis, running operations(no different from projects).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a couple jobs I absolutely loved, but have been short lived *sigh*…

1) Truck driving. (I do very well at this job but have issues with boredom as well as forgetting how to chain)

2) Computer Network Installer. (I do better from the standpoint of design, but can do the cabling and termination)

3) Database Development. (I am good at design and initial building but get bored too easily and give up)

4) Web Development. (I love web development but get bored when I get to a point where it is only “OK”)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use to be a bartender when i was in college and it was the only job i enjoyed probably because you where in chaos the whole time you where at work and never had time to get bored. Every other job i have held I ended up getting fustrated and bored with and quit.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My best job was when I worked as a zone manager for Trader Publications in the 1990’s. Everyday was different. I drove all over Riverside County which was my sales territory five days a week. I met new and interesting people everyday.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I LOVED working as a chef! VERY fast paced and you have to multitask a million things at once! Plus you get to be creative with food, and food is yummy! hahaha I just LOVE the rushes when we have to flip the restaurant several times and get to catch each new wave of orders! However, I managed to burn myself almost everyday… That part wasnt cool hahaha

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)