Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What Medication should I take

What Medication should I take2011-07-27T08:42:32+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Help! What Medication should I take

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I decide that I want to try taking medication is their anyway to know which one/s would be right or not right for me? I am 43 and married so any medication that causes sexual side effects is an automatic no no for me. My husband is going to flip out if he knows I take medication for add so I think it’s best not to tell him, at least for a while.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

My sage advice – QUIT guessing and GO SEE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

No one here can tell you what to take, and if they do, they are not really someone I’d trust…………….

If your husband is really that uncaring or unfeeling, then perhaps…. well, I won’t go there. (at least that’s how I’d describe a supposedly loving spouse that would react that way to such a medical need)

Them’s my opinions, and when you come to a public forum and ask a question, that’s mostly what you’ll get – keep that in mind when the &*%$ recommend a med for you without a medical license or degree.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

I got some concerta from a friend, and tried it (36mg) yesterday. I felt calm; the lack of irritability was nice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

agreed with billd!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Medical advise indeed ;-)

And don’t try stimulants from a friend before!

–> Some medical analysis have to be done first ( assessment of cardiovascular disease risk, EKG, etc.. Especially if you’re 43)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Spacely must be having a bad day .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spacely, I don’t know why you feel the need to use profanity on the website forum.

Anyone using ADHD stimulants (or any prescription medication for that matter) without consulting a licensed physician is asking for legal and health issues.

All of the stimulants are controlled tightly by pharmacy. It is already difficult enough to get a prescription without having illegal street use.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Let’s see, 43 y.o. married female, wants “advice” on taking illegal drugs, or rather potentially deadly controlled substances without any health checks or medical supervision, and wants to hide fact from spouse.

For one thing, anyone here who would advise other than I did – would themselves be open to legal consequences.

Anyone selling (or GIVING) it to you without a script is open to legal consequences. Many of the things we take are controlled substances.

If I were to suggest that Adderall, for example, works well, give it a try, then I’ve just given medical advice and if you end up waking up dead due to a pre-existing heart condition I didn’t know about, your husband could sick a slick lawyer on me.

If a friend gives you any such drugs, they are subject to immediate arrest, period. Their life is hosed and their chances of jobs in some areas are gone. They are also subject to the loss of obtaining future meds for their own use!

Sorry, the illegal use such as you suggest is but one reason the rest of the world has trouble obtaining such things.

Frankly, I fear for your life and for your marriage for a number of reasons…………… and ADD is the very least of them.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

Robert: after I told my doctor the meds worked for me, he told me I shouldn’t have done it but it’s not uncommon. Then he gave me the test and I walked away from the appointment with a prescription for Concerta.

The CADDAC practice guidelines also indicate it is common for adults to request a diagnosis after self-medicating.

billd: the scare tactics don’t work on me, and I hope they don’t work on anyone else. I have given some of my meds to someone else that I thought might have ADHD, and I may even give some to my father. And I don’t go looking over my shoulder for the cops either since I’m not guilty of any crime. I’m in Canada where mens rea is required in virtually all criminal offenses, and for those few statutory liability crimes due diligence is an exemption. i.e. if you make a reasonable attempt to help someone then you haven’t committed a crime.

For those people that have to deal with the American version of the SS, you can try OTC stimulants like nicotine (some studies show it works even better than MPH) or caffeine (often works almost as good as MPH).

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

That Spacely person’s post is ancient! Are you guys seriously arguing about a post that’s 4 months old:-)? it could easily be a “fake” post

But from a purely academic point of view – hiding your medication from a spouse who thinks it’s all BS is not exactly unusual… ahem….

My husband thinks it’s BS but “humours” me. We all have issues to deal with and not everyone is ready to deal with yours too.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Apparently things are “different in your country”, where I live, you’ll end up in serious trouble.

If I had a spouse like that, _I_ would be the one consulting a divorce attorney.

There’s no real love there in those cases, IMO. Sorry, I’d not live with a person who doubted my integrity in such a way, or from whom I had to hide anything at all.

I may be one of the very few lucky ones on the planet – but we hide NOTHING. We have full access to each other’s email, phones, voice mail, bank accounts are shared, everything is shared – good, bad and otherwise. It’s SO relaxing never having to hide anything, and not having to look over one’s shoulder. How refreshing to come home knowing we can each fully relax, say anything, and if we have problems, fully talk them out, share it all, always.

I really wonder how much added stress it is to have to hide anything at all from someone you’d supposedly trust with your very life!

I guess when I get home tonight, I’ll do something special for her knowing we have a one in a billion relationship based on mutual trust and unconditional love.

For the others, I feel truly sorry for you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)