Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What was the 1st clue?

What was the 1st clue?2011-11-21T05:45:51+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? What was the 1st clue?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

First clue? If someone had known about ADHD, would have been when I was about 7 and would be unable to put my toys away. I’d pull everything out of every drawer and cupboard, dump it onto my bed then start picking things up and trying to allocate a ‘place’ for each thing. Then I’d cry. Then I’d get told off for making a mess.

I’m 41 and I still do this.

Edit – but my husband doesn’t tell me off!

Edit again – and I’m 40, not 41. Sheesh!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

” I (like everyone I know) assumed that ADD was ADHD and my only expereince with that were the loud disruptive boys in my classes that would be running around like mad men turning over chairs and yelling for ‘no aparent reason’.”

Exactly. I didn’t hear about ADD up until last year, I just thought it was of one category (ADHD). Never in a million years was I a boisterous child – I often just sat quietly at the back, gazing and dreaming. Anyway, somebody suggested I research “Adult A.D.D”, so this was my turning point. Since then, I pondered about without considering a professional diagnosis. I didn’t think I was ready. This year, however, I decided to finally take charge on the situation, and get myself diagnosed. I still haven’t had the final appointment, so I am still collecting clues!

Six months ago, I had a stomach infection that caused anemia. I had to take a set amount of antibiotics per day. I went to college, forgetting to take the pills with me. I caused myself an even worse infection, resulting in a second course of antibiotics, which made me very ill. Luckily, the infection disappeared, but it really taught me something – if it’s getting to the point of screwing up tasks that concern my health, then off to the doctors it is. Diagnosis is on its way.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My first clue was when my brother saw an article in the Toronto Star, a couple of years ago. It was an interview with Rick, talking about ADHD and how he found out he had it. My brother sent me the article, and said, “This sounds just like you”.

After reading the article, I suspected he was right—even though I’d never imagined I could ever have ADHD. So I went to the Totally ADD website and did the Virtual Doctor test. I scored 100%. This was a big surprise.

Then I did the other diagnostics on the site. I scored 95%. This was also a big surprise.

Then I took the results to my psychiatrist (who was treating me for anxiety & depression), and he asked me many more questions, including about my childhood—since, if you have it as an adult, you’ll have had it as a child, whether or not it was actually diagnosed. He concluded that it was “more likely than not” that I have ADHD – Combined Subtype. He said, “more likely than not” because they can never be 100% certain about it, but, in my case, I definitely had more than enough of the symptoms, to more than enough of a degree, to assume that I have it.

Thus, at age 40, I discovered why I’ve had so much difficulty for so much of my life.

And here, I’d always thought Rick was just a great comedy writer-performer. Who knew he’d help me figure out why I am the way I am…and how to make the most of it?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I score high in website tests – but still the doubting persists. A lot of people suffer from similar symptoms, but may not have A.D.D.

A person may be quite forgetful. A person may find it difficult to start and finish tasks. A person may be a little zoned out at times.

But, I think the one thing that separates A.D.D’ers from these, is the inability to describe exactly what it going on in their head. For me, well…I am sure I have it, because I find it extremely difficult to describe the “cloud of chaos” that is always pacing my brain. My head never feels clear.

You can still be forgetful, zoned out and unmotivated, with a clear way of thinking. It’s that indescribable sense of mental chaos.

I do remember a funny thing – I came home once, after spending a day at college. At the time, I was studying A Level Psychology. We studied Autism for a while, and researched questions/tasks that Autistic sufferers would answer/deal with specifically.

We were given a question with a picture. Apparently, Autistic people had difficulty in answering the question, and coming to a realisation with the answer to the question (I can’t remember it exactly now). I worried myself for so long, because I actually DID experience difficulty with this question, when a majortiy of people in my class seemed fine.

Ah dear – sorry, back to the point of coming home – I presented the question to my mum, still in worry. She explained the question clearly to me, then I answered it fine. I understood it. I just wasn’t listening in class! It did not identify Autism, but ADD. Funny that.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Well, ADD *is* believed to be on the same general spectrum as Autism and Aspergers…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve heard of this, but I haven’t looked into it greatly.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When my daughter was finally diagnosed. That’s when I started to learn more and realize that it applied to me just as easily to her.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)