Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What's your superpower? Focusing on the positive

What's your superpower? Focusing on the positive2012-08-29T20:20:34+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved What's your superpower? Focusing on the positive

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

This topic got way off track. I’v been busy with other projects. So, i’v not had time to visit this great site. So, i’m back for a while. Lets try this again. There was a great topic called ‘awesome adhd’. This continues it.

With the way we focus on the negatives, we forget that most of us have abilities that are superhuman. Often, We don’t know about all the great minds in history who were ADHD or we suspect were. The current great minds like inventors, businessman, etc. Can you name them? I can name some of them.

Listen up, NO COMPLAINING OR WHINING ON HERE!

We know our strong weaknesses well, but nature has balanced that with strong abilities. We have superpowers as it were. Examples, I’v heard stories of superhuman reflexes on here. Creativity that is extraordinary. Without meds, this tends to be hard to see. We are not like other people. We should be proud of that. Our disabilities are a pain in the ass. They really can hold us back, but try to see what amazing things you can do that most people can’t do.

Yes, get on meds they help a lot.

Me, i’v was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 25, verified more than once. I got a meds about two years ago. I obsessed over the negatives like most of you, but I realized one day that I had superman abilities. Here are some of them:

hyper-reflexes: watch out for me in an FPS video game.

hyper-creative: I can weave stories and characters with the greatest of ease.

hyper-active: not a chance i’ll ever get overweight.

mechanical genius: I can work with a computer or most machines for a short time. Then know quickly what is wrong and how to fix it.

I say again….. What’s your superpower(s)?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I have two:

1) I can solve any technical issue.

2) I have never met a computer I can’t beat.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Since we don’t know when to give up or that it can’t be done, we succeed where others fail.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I can get myself to do it, I have an incredible knack for diagnosing, testing, modifying and fixing cars, trucks, boats, tractors, semi’s, etc. I’ve only been doing this for a few years, but I’ve put myself into so many different situations and working with so many different parts and systems, that I feel I could work my way through any problem with enough time.

I’m currently halfway through about 3 project vehicles (requires motivation and spare time) one is a simple GM FWD sedan that should get decent mileage and be fun to drive and will become my daily driver (bought it for $100). The second is my former daily driver, a lifted, turbo diesel Chevy Blazer that i’m currently doing too much work too, to list here for you. The third is my current daily driver (because everything else is broken) and it’s a 2500HD Chevy Silverado and it needs a lot of work, but is strong and dependable and only lets me down when I’ve neglected it.

Anyway, just gotta remember that our brains can focus incredibly well on something we are interested in. Find that hyperfocus and let your mind flourish in that “zone” as I call it LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can learn a new skill in double quick time…

I can think outside the box and sometimes even outside the whole darn packaging plant!

I can quick fix almost any situation or problem ( but I am still working on the fiscal ramifications of European country’s leaving the EURO zone ( That I suspect would take an ADD think tank years to sort out )) lol

WOFH

Pete xx

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

Lets hear more. I’v heard of artists on here.

We’re big picture people. When people are buried in details, we see the world above.

When inspiration strikes, i’m a man possessed. My hands starts to fly on the keyboard. The film plays in my head. The scenes unfold and character speak and interact. I come out the trance with many pages written.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can get so lost in my thoughts that I can visoulize everything, and can make up a million scenarios in a “what if” situation.. Dont know if anyone here does that but I remeber doing it since a kid.. plus like previously said I never quit, once i start something I have to finish it, well as long as its something im interested in other wise i go back to the first point i made

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I have learned I don’t have a super power, or if I do I can’t find it!!! still looking and hoping to find it some day.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

The issue is not whether some ADDers have special talents (many clearly do), it’s whether or to what extent those talents are linked to Attention Deficit. Filmbuff says s/he’s a mechanical genius. Well, I for one can’t figure out how to use a screwdriver. S/he says s/he’s so hyperactive s/he’ll never gain weight. Oh, I can only wish. Shutterbug says s/he’s never met a computer s/he can’t beat. Well, I’ve never met a computer that couldn’t beat me. So there it is. You guys have these “superpowers,” but they are not universally shared by other fellow travelers. So it begs the question: does ADD actually confer these “superpowers”? Or are you guys simply talented folk who also happen to have ADD?

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Very well put W GREEN!!! Very Well , Very Well !!!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Wgreen, I agree with you in that we certainly can’t blame or credit ( depending on how you look at it) all of our abilities or lack thereof on ADHD. Some are some aren’t.

However, if I was to take the glass half-full approach to life and consider something a Superpower, Im just starting to realize how much more of an “out of the box” thinker I am than those around me. I used to think it was sheer randomness or unfocused thinking on my part if I was in a meeting and came up with some totally unexpected idea but now I am starting to realize that I have a far easier time of seeing connections to things others don’t and I tend to come up with suggestions that are often embraced by others as creative. Whereas to me they just seem obvious. Often times though I think those who aren’t receptive tend to be the more linear thinking or conservative types. I guess everything is a process and in the past I might have felt intimidated by a negative response but now tend to just accept it for what it is – simply a failure to make the same connection.

Another thing Wgreen, perhaps your Superpower is an ability to make a seemingly clear and black and white observation about things. Your comments often remind me of a good friend of mine who has a very similar talent. Your observations, for a lack of a better analogy, often cast a birds eye view on things. Obviously, I can’t read your mind and know what you are really thinking but at least they seem to be objective and you dissect an issue into its parts, leaving out the emotional elements most people seem to attach to things. At any rate, hope my comments come off as the complement they are meant to be :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Remember this thread is for “Positives”, FilmB asked folks at the onset to…Listen up, NO COMPLAINING OR WHINING ON HERE…

So FimB…thanks so much for the “Posi”, thread…. it is good to see………great actually!!!

Inzardd, Koots and Peter, yes I have similar experiences, and always have. Problems, issues solutions are often readily apparent to me as well, they seem to come to me me effortlessly. Patterns are just there………it doesn’t seem to matter whether it is business/organization issues or otherwise, I seem to automatically see. I used to wonder why others didn’t…I didn’t get it….I wondered what was wrong with them??? Now…. fact….I don’t often see things the same way a linear processing person might, I get that…and therefore my response or solutions often come at a problems from an completely different perspective,and….are for the most part very complete. My vision/solution(s) don’t always come on demand either, that’s fine….it may hit me at 2:00 AM and wake from sleep….or the next day, or while I’m doing something totally and completely off the topic….maybe while I’m watching TV, there is no rhyme or reason to when my thoughts come!! I’m ok with that. I did eventually learn to carry a small note book and pen (at least when I was working) and write down my thoughts, as they can vanish as quickly as the come!!! Capturing my thoughts immediately was key for me…..

So many things pass through my mind constantly…music, inventions…..humorous versions or responses to whatever…..maybe past conversations. Being retired I’m now in my own time completely…. I am a musician, I have my own band, I’m a custom motorcycle builder (with dozens of trophys to show for it), a hotrod builder, an artist (from time to time)…..these are the things that obsess me…..and always always have, I am all about these things, I know that, and I’m oh so comfortable with it!!! I indulge myself. This is creativity to me…without my obsession(s) gawd knows where I would be, they keep my mind occupied, always….and, I always have the next thing to do…to think about, to dream about, to consider to share with my like minded companions…..it’s who I am.

My life is very full…..I think because once I came to understand who I was, what revved my motor and slammed my hood….I never have looked back.,and it been that way for years and years. At 62 years old, I do the same things I did as a child, dream the same dreams…..or an adolescent, a teenager, a young man, a father. The key I believe, was for me/us was to find those few things (whatever they may be) that drive me, and do the hell out of them….screw the rest, I’m not about those other things, I know that…….I am who I am, and who I will be!!!!

My quick processing brain also makes me quite social, on my terms!! I have many friends ( like minded folks) that I can visit with lunch with, but I’m also very private and need my own time, if that makes sense. I believe it is my quick mind, alternate views/perspective and none conforming or non-typical responses that bring humor to my relationships and conversations…..and people are attracted to that……so it would seem. This may seem boastful…..it’s not it, it is just that way my life works!!

Superpowers……..I don’t know??? I am different, always have been, always will be, and thank gawd. Sometimes it has been difficult, hard even, but I would never want to be anything but what I am…….I have no regrets about my ADD mind….I enjoy it…actually I relish it, and feel among the “fortunate few”. There is more…….so much more…I could go on and on and on…..but suffice to say “I’m ADD and Love It”!!!!

So please be mindful folks…this thread is for “Positives”, FilmB asked folks at the onset to…Listen up, NO COMPLAINING OR WHINING ON HERE…not on this thread.

Always Up Jack…Never Down….. :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I’m academic. It’s how I think and I love it. I thrive in that environment.

The differences in my abilities and weaknesses are vast and I guess I’ve done a lot to compensate for that which is a strength in itself.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tid you asked for reminder in another post a few weeks ago…….I didn’t forget here is your reminder. Hint… it was about some writing you were doing and thought you might post here??? :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Ooh. I forget. Was it on ADHD?

Duh. Of course it was. I’m on totallyadd!

I don’t know how to do it. I can email it to you if you mail me on snuffwalden@gmail.com

:)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)