Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Why Are Young People Scared of Disclosing Their Disability to Employers?

Why Are Young People Scared of Disclosing Their Disability to Employers?2015-03-14T11:01:51+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Why Are Young People Scared of Disclosing Their Disability to Employers?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Looks like the question of whether or not to disclose your disability (especially if it’s a mental disability) is the same in the UK, as it is here in North America.

A survey released to 5 Live Breakfast has found that more than three-quarters of disabled students and graduates are afraid to let potential employers know about their disability. It is a classic dilemma for people with disabilities – and it’s one this BBC guest blogger has been facing, himself.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-31838006

REPORT ABUSE

makwa

Stigma and Discrimination. That’s what kept my mouth shut.

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

I agree, my boss knows i see a doctor but thinks it is more to do with depression as her husband suffers from that so it seemed an easier way through.  She doesn’t understand and isn’t really capable of getting it so better to just keep my mouth shut

REPORT ABUSE

pinkdex

I don’t disclose it to my employer for the same reason I don’t disclose my favorite sports team to them. Maybe they hate my team. Why give them another reason to doubt my performance.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)