Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Why do people push an agenda on this website?

Why do people push an agenda on this website?2011-02-23T17:21:15+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Why do people push an agenda on this website?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Curlymoe115

I think the answer is the same as the answer in marketing. When we make a purchase we suddenly start watching ads about the article we purchased. We try to convince others to purchase the same thing or if we feel that we have been duped we start lobbying against the product. This behaviour is natural and built in. Just like a van isn’t appropriate for everyone anymore then a sports car not everything that people have tried make it any more legitimate for you or any less legitimate for them. We are on a journey after a lifetime of floundering. We are here because we are all experiencing a period of adjustment. Try to be patient with other people who shout from the rooftop the cure that they have found. Maybe once in a while you will be moved to try that option but you may still be in the market for a product for you. The site administrators make sure that this website is not being hijacked by the pharmaceutical industry anymore then the naturopathic industry.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Ya got me confused……… what started this topic?

Must be something I’ve not read as of yet. I know there’s a few who “because I’m this way, you probably are too”, but that’s rare, and a very limited number. Nothing that bothers me…………

You want to see your topic REALLY bad? Go to an automotive site and ask for a spark plug recommendation! Suddenly it’s the Spanish Inquisition! Might as well ask what religion is right, or which political party is the best.

And if you don’t agree with the strongest opinion, you must not know anything about cars. (the site I run recently had a fellow pop in like that – and tout the hours he’s worked and yadda-yadda and how he obviously knew more than others.

I finally said “I don’t impress easily,and if you want to compare lists or hours worked, I’m gonna blow you away so how about dropping it”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

common sense does need to come into play- salesperson or not, everyone has a bias and can’t help but show it.

…..i’ve probably been going on about CBT for weeks- but thats cos it has made a huge difference to me. :D

hopefully people are smart enough to not dive in and put their life savings into it on the word of a random stranger on the internet, but to instead do a bit more research on their own.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I read a post that said that this site is being hijacked by people pushing an agenda.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to know who started this discussion as well – here are some potential sources:

– we recently had to delete a member who was cross-posting his market research project in a number of places in the forum

– we recently took part in a Twitter chat that involved someone who accused us of being a pawn of the pharmaceutical companies (we’re not). This person is a rampant troll and seems hell bent on harassing our members.

– perhaps someone has experienced support/advice that is unwelcome to them.

In any case – I can delete this topic if it isn’t of value to anyone here. Let me know!

Do you feel that an agenda is being pushed at you?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In all honesty no, not at all……. besides I don’t push well in the first place…at all!!! Never have!! Just my thoughts but… there are a lot of folks (so it seems) that visit the site regular that are quite protective of the site and those in the site community. I mean that in the best sense…. we ( to me) seem to be a very good self policing bunch and if anything seems inappropriate….. somebody is on it pretty quick.

Having said that…………… we also have you Aerin!!!!!! Wooohooo…..

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi still having to much trouble focusing to try to push my own agenda. LOL.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Aerin – first, thanks SO much for watching out for us and keeping up the integrity of this place. Trust me, there are so few honest places without agendas.

The question – no, frankly I’d leave the topic. In a sense, it might bring the potential abuse to the attention of members who know what to watch for, and know if they see or feel such a thing, they can and should report it.

I’m with toofat and trashman – I can’t focus enough to push and if I do, I’ll change my mind tomorrow and push something else anyway.

Further, on the flip side – I don’t get push easily. I am a cynic from the word go. I’m like Garfield the cat.

I trust almost nothing and almost no one, and when I trust, I’m like Reagan – “trust but verify”. Call me paranoid – because I am.

I can fairly easily recognize spam and marketing and hidden agendas (and that’s been both good and bad for me)

IMO – keep the drug companies out. I’m really pretty torked that they can even advertise on American TV – I’m sick of these “ask your doctor” ads. If the doctor feels I need something, he/she will let me know. Not some drug company making bucks on every prescription.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I started this post because I do not feel that this site has a bias built in. I feel that the Administrators like Aerin have done a fantastic job of keeping this site free of the taint associated with a lot of websites that have people putting links onto their page to a product they are promoting or selling. Now if a person who has tried something wants to talk about it, I have absolutely no problem listening to that. As I said in my original post what is an appropriate product or treatment for you may not be right for me. That does not in anyway negate someone else’s experience. No, this site is not pushing an agenda it is just giving those of us who decide to be members a safe place to talk about our journey and where we have been or where we are going. I enjoy reading the stories of the other members. It helps me in countless ways. Now if you gave us emoticons I could put the roll eyes in my question format.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Aerin for watching over us. I’ve read some confusing and conflicting posts here but overall I’m “totally” impressed. You can generally tell who is legit, vs who is over the top. I don’t believe in riding “high horses”, that is, I don’t believe anyone who mandates “they are right”, as in everyone else is wrong. Each experience is valuable.

Keep up the good work.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I don’t see no other agenda but that of being a great place to learn . and trust me iam not the fastists ,still slowly it is coming along. so having saig that please keep sharing what you beleve to be the truth . that way if there is a error the it can be fixed and we all learn and win.

NOw getting off topic it is funny that our goverments can spend millons on killig people but when it comes to education on something as nessasary as education funding for peole with LD or adhd they seem to whant to stick there head in the sand and make like its all ok.WELL YOU HO in goverment throw some of that money to places and that would help places like you and me. WE could even go as for as to say no one was hurt or killed in these times of teaching or learning. and all human rights were upheld.

IN other words show us the MONEY. sorry for the rant. but sometimes it just feels good to let it out. thank- you all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“hi still having to much trouble focusing to try to push my own agenda. LOL.”

i laughed my arse off.

“where the hell is my agenda and how on earth do i push…oh hey look, a frisbee!- i’ve been wondering where that had gotten to!”.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I never got the sense that this site was pushing anything. I saw the survey and thought that was odd. Other than that when I see people talking about medication I just think people are trying to work it out. I figured that is what this site is for. I am living with it and ok on medication, improving my diet and trying to incorporate strategies. I figured this site is a good way to cross check what we are all doing and get feedback. I do know when I am struggling with something and I overcome it I am usually on the mountain repeatedly shouting on a blowhorn to tell everyone else. I hate to see others suffering if they dont need too. I get a lil’ caught up in my enthusiasm……..and that has been a problem because people can be taken aback. Is that part of ADHD?

Well, anyhoo I will refrain from climbing on the mountain and repeatedly shouting on a blow horn. Perhaps I could stand on a rock and only say it once…….well maybe twice…..o.k once ;).

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

As far as I am concerned go ahead and shout it from the mountain. That means we finally found something that is working. Woo Hoo. And if it doesn’t work it is a journey not a race. We didn’t get here and one day and that probably means we aren’t going to get a home run the first time. If you do, that is fantastic.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I trust this site. And I feel Aerin is a vigilant keymaster looking out for would be intruders trying to push their agendas on us. I really appreciate having a place to talk or vent out on. I also love reading other people’s stories. I feel understood here and in good company. :-)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)