Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Why is it labeled a "disorder" instead of a "mental illness"?

Why is it labeled a "disorder" instead of a "mental illness"?2012-05-04T20:56:32+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? The History Why is it labeled a "disorder" instead of a "mental illness"?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

ashockley55
    Participant

If this has already been addressed, please redirect me to the appropriate thread!

Thanks so much,

Amber

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Hi ashockley!

I was thinking the same thing, and all I could come up with is this:

Mental Illness to me, implies there could be a cure. I disorder is something you can treat, but never cure.

I could be totally wrong.

:)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Interesting question. To me, an illness is something organic that will either get better or will kill you. A disorder is just a difference – but that’s just my view today. But, if you search web sites many seem to use the terms interchangeably.

Sadly I looked up the definitions in Wikipedia. For physical illness it says an illness is a patients perception of a disease – the section on mental illness is as follows and it seems that ADHD is classed as a specific illness but also called a disorder – so it’s all semantics:

From Wikipedia:

“Mental illness (or Emotional disability, Cognitive dysfunction) is a broad generic label for a category of illnesses that may include affective or emotional instability, behavioral dysregulation, and/or cognitive dysfunction or impairment. Specific illnesses known as mental illnesses include major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, to name a few. Mental illness can be of biological (e.g., anatomical, chemical, or genetic) or psychological (e.g., trauma or conflict) origin. It can impact one’s ability to work or go to school and contribute to problems in relationships. Other generic names for mental illness include “mental disorder”, “psychiatric disorder”, “psychological disorder”,“abnormal psychology”, “emotional disability”, “emotional problems”, or “behavior problem”. The term insanity is used technically as a legal term. Brain damage may result in impairment of mental function.”

So I prefer to think of it as a disorder but who knows…..

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I like to think of it as a ‘disorder’ because disorder is exactly what the problem is for me! If I could find a way to ‘order’ instead, that would be great!

Disorder = the brain isn’t quite working as it should and this is a genetic, biological difference that has been so since before birth.

Illness = a ‘sickness’: something that has symptoms that can get worse or better rather than traits which are part of our genetic make-up?

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

And you know, it’s funny, now that I think of it, they call it Bipolar Disorder, but it’s considered a mental illness, whereas, the same thing with ADD, but I don’t think most people would consider it a mental illness per say.

Hmm.

I’m hoping Dr. J or Rick will weigh in on this.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

If you Wiki the definition of disorder it says ADHD is a developmental disorder.

Maybe we should just make up our own definition – any ideas? Although I like Tiddler’s rationale for it being a disorder!

REPORT ABUSE

Ginniebean

From what I understand there are no hard and fast lines between disorder and mental illness. They can be and are used interchangeably in the literature.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

** Tangent alert **

I like what Dr. J. said: “It’s only a disorder if it’s ruining your life.”

For me there is a lot of hope in those words. Hope that the medication does not have to be permanent, hope that you can re-order your life so that ADHD is no longer a disorder, hope that there’s a way to realize the benefits of being who I am without having to endure the other side.

** Tangent Ends **

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

I hope so, too Bill!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine. – Whoopi Goldberg

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Just read a Facebook quote saying that people only appear normal if you don’t know them very well.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Nice one. And presumably if you do get to know them well and they are still normal then I guess that means….they are actually boring…..

One thing I will say is the normal folk I know think I lead an interesting life – that’s how they read the impulsive oddities and chaos anyway. Maybe they are right…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love Dr J’s take……and have found Bill’s “people only appear normal if you don’t know them very well” accurate in every respect. Everybody I know, and know well, is nuts……it is then up to me to decide who’s crazy is a good fit with me…..I call those people friends.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

An illness is something ‘abnormal’. Depression or an Anxiety Disorder is not normal. It’s an illness. So are many other issues, but some are things we are born with, how we are wired. Though there’s lots of debate on whether if the genes get turned on by the environment. We go into a lot of detail on this on the new video ‘What Is ADHD?’ which is part of the new production debuting on PBS in August, 2012.

ADHD is a syndrome, a collection of traits, issues, problems, behaviours. If it’s severe enough, you almost always are struggling, and probably wanting or even seeking help. It’s impacting your life in a negative way. Just as being shy isn’t an illness, and it’s not abnormal, but if it’s extreme, it’ll affect your life, and it would be good to know so you can make better choices about your life, your career, and who you want to hang with.

I think it’s something you ‘qualify’ as. Like, at some point you are ‘tall’ then ‘very tall.’ And if you’re ‘very tall’ it’ll impact your life, positively and negatively.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

A doctor told us, there’s no such thing as normal, just the ‘under-investigated’. In other words, unless you’re average, you’re not ‘normal’.

You’re just you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)