Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Why so much focus on 10% of the population which has ADD/ADHD?

Why so much focus on 10% of the population which has ADD/ADHD?2011-02-22T22:37:19+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Why so much focus on 10% of the population which has ADD/ADHD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

If ADD or ADHD is less than 10% of the population, why is there so much focus on it?

Certainly, more than 10% of people must have trouble coping with these symptoms.

Is the difference that people without ADD/ADHD don’t fuss and fidget and obsess about the symptoms?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

10% of the population is how many people on this planet…. heck 5% are alot That is just the approximate #’s . How many people are indirectly affected by those with ADD ADHD negatively or positively?.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

@Edmondsjh – what makes you think there is a lot of focus on it? I’m a patient at the largest mental health facility in the province of Ontario and there is NO program for adult ADD. Mood disorders, schizophrenia, addictions, sure, and there is all kinds of research going on that is related to ADHD, but there is no actual program in place for those of us living with it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

edmond, whether the number of people with ADD is 5% or 10%, the reason for the ‘fuss’ is that our symptoms are impairing. You are right to point out that there are many others out in the world who also have some of the same symptoms that we do.

In fact, I would bet that almost every single person out there could say he or she has been affected by many of the symptoms considered part of the ADD ‘spectrum’. The important point to remember is the affect they have on a person’s life. Do those people (NOT diagnosed as ADD) deal with the symptoms every day on an almost continuous basis? I suppose I should say continuous as some do deal with the effects continually.

Have their symptoms caused them to lose jobs or ended marriages or relationships? According to some of the studies out there (Charles Barkley), ADDers are affected in the wallet. When you goof up on the job, if you don’t get fired you certainly will be passed over at the next opportunity for promotion.

With meds and careful planning, I handle my ADD fairly well. When extra stress falls on my lap, the ADD becomes quite impairing. Does this help?

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

Just to be a smartass, there is so much focus of it on this website because it is specifically for people, and people who know those of us who suffer with ADD/ADHD. To complain about on here is rather akin to going onto a Red Green forum and saying:

“If Red Green, Bill or Harold fans make up less than 10% of the population, why is there so much focus on it?

Certainly, more than 10% of people must have watched The Red Green Show and found it enjoyable.

Is the difference that people that aren’t fans don’t fuss and fidget and obsess about the show?”

See where I’m coming from, here?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Is the difference that people without ADD/ADHD don’t fuss and fidget and obsess about the symptoms?” Yep, you nailed it, edmondsjh, because they don’t have to….it’s not as impairing. The diagnosis required in the DSM ….. here, let’s read what they have to say:

The DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition) contains the Diagnostic Criteria for the most common mental disorders including: description, diagnosis, treatment, and research findings. Below is the Diagnostic Criteria for diagnosing Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder:

A. Either (1) or (2)

1) Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the developmental level:

Inattention

often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities

often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities

often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly

often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behaviour or failure of comprehension)

often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities

often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)

often loses things necessary for tasks or activites at school or at home (e.g. toys, pencils, books, assignments)

is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

if often forgetful in daily activities

2) Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the developmental level:

Hyperactivity

often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat

often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected

often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)

often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly

often talks excessively

is often ‘on the go’ or often acts as if ‘driven by a motor’

Impulsivity

often has difficulty awaiting turn in games or group situations

often blurts out answers to questions before they have been completed

often interrupts or intrudes on others, e.g. butts into other children’s games

Me again, notice at the beginning of this the terms, ” persisted for at least six months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the developmental level”……..Everyone experiences some of these symptoms some of the time, that’s why so many can easily write off our symptoms as “just a part of life….Man Up to it!” We, however, have enough of an issue that it impairs us more significantly.

I believe everyone has a bit of everything….we all obsess over something, but only when it it impairing to a high degree and for a long consistant duration does it become “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder”. We all rebel against something from time to time but only when it becomes impairing and for long does it get recognized as “oppositional defiant disorder”. Heck, I bet we all have a little bit of the symptoms of tourettes, aspergers or autism, ie., we can relate to aspects of the so called disorders… but if they are not impairing to us then we don’t have the disorder.

A book I’ve just ordered, Neurodiversity, (discovering the extraordinary causes of autism, adhd, dyslexia, and other brain differences) speaks to a new acceptance of these so called disorders. I mean if, like you say, 5 -10% of the population has ADD, then why aren’t more schools, classrooms, work environments, tasks, etc., set up to more readily accommodate those with the “gift” (not a disorder)?

I think I know why, ….. because standards are still biased toward the “norm”, the other 51% without, or unaware, of their unique “gifts”!

Want to read more from the DSM IV? here you go… http://www.ldawe.ca/DSM_IV.html

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)