Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Why Some Entrepreneurs Call ADHD a Superpower

Why Some Entrepreneurs Call ADHD a Superpower2011-07-20T11:41:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Playing to Your Strengths Why Some Entrepreneurs Call ADHD a Superpower

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

billd

hey no_dopamine –

>>Like billd, I butt in because I will forget what I want to say. My ADD mom and i had problems with that on the phone, she would say “ok, you’ve had your turn, now it’s my turn” but I couldn’t shut up.<<

My mother being ADHD… well, you can imagine our conversations…….. and then toss in my youngest son -it was a hoot when I took the kids to visit my parents and grandmother. My youngest would get into what we called “never-ending stories”

He’d sit on great-grandmother’s lap and start with a topic and seriously, we timed this – 45 minutes later was still talking, but was so far off the original topic no one could recall what it was.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

pete I was referring to those who SAY they have it, but it’s a casual comment to cover their forgetfulness, for example. I guess you missed the point of my comment – in reference to those who say they have one or the other, but have never been to a doctor, never even taken or seen a test. Please go back and re-read!

There are many many folks who will “yeah, sure, I’ve got that too” only to cover their shortcomings in one or two areas – they are making light of it IMO.

I work around two who DO have it, and they certainly don’t speak up like those who don’t but blame things on it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@billd, sorry, it’s a sore subject for me. I’m one of those “functioning professionals” and even my family questions whether or not I have it. It gets frustrating because, yes, I can do great things at work (when I *want* to), but my personal life is a mess.

I thought you were questioning whether the people in the article had ADHD. I agree that Smart Money should have been more careful in the article. They should have, as you suggest, told people to see a professional for diagnosis.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Whew – I came back to re-read to see if I myself had offended or come off too strong – that impulsive bit……….

Your first paragraph – yeah, been there! I stick to a job about 7 years, then things catch up with me and I either need to move on, or find the employer wishing I’d move on.

While I’m there, I’m typically at or near the top, advancing faster than anyone else…….. but that fades with time……..

And luckily my wife puts up with me. Oddly she’s very protective of me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

billd wrote: “45 minutes later was still talking, but was so far off the original topic no one could recall what it was”

I do this in the course of a few minute conversation. It’s embarassing to go off on a tangent based on what someone said, but then completely forget why or what the topic or question was.

I think I need a hardwired button on the side of my head that I can push that will eject a copy of my current thoughts, like a fax machine. Then I can refer to that in a conversation before I start so I can stay on track.

My husband, if sitting beside me, will kick my leg to remind me that I’m going off on a tangent (if he’s not daydreaming), otherwise I have no clue that it’s happening until I get to the “what was I talking about before this?” stage.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

And BTW, they are always interesting stores that I tell, just not on topic.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tangents aren’t all bad. On the plus side, some of the most interesting conversations I’ve had had nothing to do with the original subject.

Sometimes I do it all in my head. I talking about one thing, my mind jumps 5 topics over, and I come out with some odd, seemingly off-topic comments. I try to backtrack and explain to my wife why pork loin reminded me to ask about her mother, if only to get out of trouble:

Outside my head: Her: “Ooh, I’d like a nice juicy piece of pork loin.”

Me: “Yeah…So, how’s you’re mom doing.”

Inside my head: “Ooh, I’d like a nice juicy piece of pork loin”–barbecue–got to clean the barbecue–shed–bugs in the shed–squirrels in the attic–that time I broke her mom’s attic door–“How’s you’re mom doing.”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pete, that sounds a lot like some of my meditation sittings.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Ha – I can relate for sure to all of the above!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)