Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Will medication work for me?

Will medication work for me?2010-11-27T20:42:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Will medication work for me?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Danielle

I was recently diagnosed with ADD and postpartum anxiety. Celexa made my anxiety worse, prozac made me hostile and aggressive and lorazapem caused depression with daily, uncontrollable weeping. I am really nervous to take anything new, especially for the ADD, because of my negative reaction to medication. Is a reaction like mine common in those with ADD?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ADD can cause symptoms of anxiety and depression.

I went through a phase of anxiety-induced depression, which in turn was caused by ADHD-induced anxiety :-p

I found that stimulant medication (Ritalin) actually calmed me. It seriously reduced my anxiety and, in turn, my depression.

If your depression and anxiety are caused by ADHD, antidepressants will not help because they are not dealing with the real cause of your symptoms. Furthermore, stimulants like Ritalin are fast-acting and the short-acting versions are only in your system for a few hours, so you will know within half an hour whether they work for you, and if they don’t you won’t have to wait an extended period for them to wear off.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anxiety has many origins and not just physiological. I would begin by exploring alternative interventions: psychotherapy, meditation, exercise, diet etc. You are clearly medication sensitive. Nimthiriel’s suggestion is correct in that if the driving reason you are anxious is because of unresolved ADHD, then this needs to be looked at. But whatever you try start as low as you can and go up really slowly. Let you body get used to it.

Always speak to your doctor or before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)