Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Workplace. Effects of the GermanWing Tragedy

Workplace. Effects of the GermanWing Tragedy2015-03-27T15:54:51+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Workplace. Effects of the GermanWing Tragedy

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hullupoika

With the news today that the co-pilot of the horrible airplane tragedy hid his medical issues, most likely mental health issues, is going to probably have long term and detrimental effects for anyone taking meds like most of us do.

My job required that I report all prescription medications I was taking.  When I was put on Zoloft for depression, the security people strongly suggested I take 12 weeks off through the Family Medical Leave Act.  They let me go back to work after those 12 weeks, but not before intéviewing my doctor and counselor.  So much for the Medical Privacy Act.

I returned to my job, but it became overwhelming in anout 6 weeks.  I had a pretty serious physical and mental meltdown from the stress and never-ending work days that we had been experiencing for several years.

I was diagnosed with PTSD and a whole bunch of related issues.  I was put on long term disability, with a maximum of 24 months.  Thankfully, I was 64 years old at the time.  I was able to retire when I turned 66.  I would not have been able to return to my old job because of the meds I was on at that time, which includes Xanax.. Reporting that I was put on Ritalin would have severed any chance of returning.

Had this happened a year or two earlier I don’t know what I would have done.  It would have ended a 40 year career and left me without income or insurance.

Unfortunately, I believe this most recent tragedy is going to affect a lot of people.

I’m certainly not the only one who has faced these issues.  But, it certainly does discourage people from wanting to report anything considered “metal illness.”

REPORT ABUSE

iknewsomething

That is quite disturbing. I am sorry you where getting help for a condition and then your job made you feel that somehow thats wrong. They were responsible for burning you out with the never ending work days but at least they gave you some time off. Why can’t we have our vacations when we need them, why cant we have enough people on the schedule so you dont get burned out. I believe you save money in the long run. I like the european idea of a month of paid vacation.

Hope your better now.

It sucks that you can’t keep your medical  records private. I hope the plane crash actuallymakes people more aware that we have to connect with our fellow employees more and lose the stigma of mental illness. surely people will keep it a secret if there are repurcussions,

I am lucky I do not have that issue right now. I am happy to finally get a diagnoses. Now I can make a plan to improve my life and know where the trouble parts are.

Best

W

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)