Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Would it be rude to ask my boss?…

Would it be rude to ask my boss?…2013-04-01T21:52:50+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Other Would it be rude to ask my boss?…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

phoenixmagicgirl

My boss, like me has A.D.D. as his employee would it be rude /unprofessional/improper for me to ask him if he’s on medication for A.D.D.? Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

IMO that’s a pretty personal question.  I wouldn’t ask unless you are VERY good friends.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I agree, Amy.

PheonixMagicGirl, partly it depends on why you want to know? If it’s curiousity, don’t ask. That’s improper.

If you’re wanting information or advice, I would approach it laterally.

Start by asking permission to discuss it. (A key first step.)

“Boss, can I ask you something about A.D.D.?”

(Make it about your ADD, not his.)

Mention you have A.D.D., if he/she doesn’t already know, and explain that you’re thinking about medication, but you have concerns. (If you’re on medication already, then explain what your concerns are.)

Ask if your boss knows anything or has heard anything one way or the other.

Keep it theoretical. Share your concerns and discuss why you’re having trouble getting the answers you want. Let your boss be able to shrug and go, “I don’t know,” or open up, “Well actually, I have found…”

If you’re wanting to discuss it with your boss to gently introduce the idea that medication has worked for you and you think he/she might benefit, I’d leave it. At some point medication may come up and you can share your positive experience. But know that not everyone has positive experiences.

Does that help?

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

I’m in total agreement with @Rick, for what that’s worth. It’s a touchy subject for many people for many reasons, plus it might create an intimacy that your boss may be uncomfortable with.

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

@Rick I would like to know party for my own curiosity and partly because if he doesn’t take any medication, maybe I could suggest  names of medications…Yes your explanation does help.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

My experience has been that sharing my own story, when it’s appropriate, allows people some space to talk about their own stuff. Sometimes it’s just something they suspect they have. Or a family member has. Or a bad experience they have. Or simply that they don’t believe it’s real (and then I smile and nod and say, “That’s exactly what I thought. A bunch of bull made up by big Pharma.” And then I explain a bit of what I’ve learned.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)