Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Would like to connect with others

Would like to connect with others2011-05-22T19:21:54+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Would like to connect with others

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would like to connect with others who are diagnosed and unmedicated due to lack of insurance. Also interested in natural options. I have limited time available to chat, but will check in as able. My child is also diagnosed (child does have medication, which works, but I really hate giving my kid medication…I do it, but I’m always looking for better options like more natural remedies), and I’m convinced its genetic. The DSM even states it has an extremely high heritability rate.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just saw ADD and loving it. well part of it. the hockey game is on another channel and i have laundry to do and have to go to work tonight…. hang on, power play.

glad i can type without looking at the keys…

oh yeah… 5 on 3.

GOAL!!!

ok, i want to watch the rest of the show, as it was really funny, fast enough to hold my attention… well, for a few minutes… is there a way i can watch the rest of it later? I saw it was produced in 2009. is it online or on this site somewhere?

please email me. After years of denying it, there is no question I have it.

thanks Rick Green and Patrick for doing this.

I’m looking forward to finding some help to learn how to succeed where I want in life.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kristen,

I’m a 29 year-old student without insurance and was just recently diagnosed with ADHD although I’ve known for a long time I’ve had it. Before being diagnosed I researched helpful tips such as diet (healthy diet with low sugar & high protein), exercise, and tips about structure and organization to help me succeed with school & life. Lately it hasn’t been enough to get by, so I sought out treatment. I found that generic ritalin- methylphenidate- is about $15 a month at Costco, so that is a very inexpensive option I’m using that perhaps could work for you. I’ve definitely read about & seen the genetic component. I have two relatives with ADHD as well. I just recently read that kids who are medicated have a much higher rate of avoiding substance abuse when they reach their teen years. Of course, I understand that treatment options are very individual and what works best for one is different for another. Looking back, I wish I would have started medication sooner. Either way, I think your child is very lucky to have a parent who is aware of what is going on and understands what living with ADD is like.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have 3 boys. Our middle one was just diagnosed by his doc. Starting an evaluation at school. He is eight. Not sure if I have it however, the more that I learn about it, the more I think I do! Starting to see it in others too. Initially did not want to medicate my son but he is falling way behind in school and seems like nothing is sinking in. I am told that when administered correctly, it really can help to take meds… Let the journey begin I guess. My fears are the possible side effects- nightmares, loss of appetite, sleep disorders,stomache ache and headaches. My hope is that I worry too much and this is the early diagnosis and help that he needs. After the school district evaluation, we probably will start the meds. Kind of a sad thing for me. He is a great kid. Do these meds really stunt their growth? I have heard that parents take them off of it in the summer months so they can grow. God, it seems so last resort!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

JM……if i may suggest read, read, read….educate yourself. Eight years old….hmmm grade (3)…..early days, I found grade three hard too. I am 61and ADD, and I have know for hmmm….. 30-ish years…at least!!! I have a great life, I had a very successful career and otherwise too. My kids (28) and (30) are both successful both well adjusted and healthy in every way. I think a lot of that has to do with our house being an ADD positive house……meaning ADD is viewed as a gift, with amazing attributes, not a curse.

I hear what seems in people (new to ADD) to be fear, dread and panic….I think…whoooooa. ADD is really a difference in the way one’s brain process(s) information. The majority processes one way (Linear)….. our brain processes another (Randon/Visionary). There are inherent issues in both, and distinct advantages to both….the largest disadvantage for us is the majority 90+ percent of the population process(s) the other way, Linear. There are many many posts and threads on this site that talk to that too.

As with any segment of society we have folks who visit here (ADD folks) who are wildly successful in anyway you want to define success, and there are others who struggle painfully with their lives. Same as any other segment really. So, if as I suggested, before pushing the ‘Alarm” button and establishing a “defect” a mindset in yourself or your child may I suggest you read, read read educating yourself on the subject…….and hang around…..chat a little. I don’t come here because my life is full of strife, I come here to chat with other people…….ADD people…..my people.

As I said previously, both my children (well they are adults now) are very successful, and well adjusted. One has a Bachelor of English University degree and is working on a second degree the other is an apprenticing tradesman. They both are doing well!!! So….whoooa….before you get too far into the Oh My Gawd…thing, be aware, there are many many people who are ADD and excel and excel wildly actually.

having said all that…there are two basic camps here…people who struggle and curse ADD and then there are what I call the “Gifties”. I am a “Gifty’……my ADD and the perspective and vision it provides me made me very very successful. Yes it s road less traveled, and I definitely have heard a different drum…but…I would not want to be a Linear minded person…..ever. So….have a look over posts and threads….not just the ones fraught with pain but the other ones too…….the successful folks, lawyers, software gurus, writers chemists, doctors………..have a look. You just might be surprised

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)