Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Would like to hear Concerta success stories.

Would like to hear Concerta success stories.2013-05-29T11:07:44+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Would like to hear Concerta success stories.

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sugar_Shane

It’s so hard to find any good stories on the internet about adhd medication. Does anyone have some to share?

Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Sugar_Shane, many of us here have been helped a lot by meds.

But, remember, meds are NEVER one-size-fits-all, so what works for one person won’t necessarily work for you.

They also are not a “magic bullet”.  They won’t suddenly give you a sense of time (which is one of the biggest things that ADDers lack), and they won’t suddenly change your personality, so you become a super-achiever.

All they’ll do is help you to create and stick to the habits that will help you to function better.  But you still need to create and follow those habits.

For unbiased, factual, current information about Medications, I suggest you watch the “Medications” videos, in the Videos section:  http://totallyadd.com/medications

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Don’t worry if you have to try a number of medications before you find the best one for you. I tried a few things, ended up on Concerta because it didn’t have side-effects (at first) and increased overall mental clarity. After a while, I increased the dosage because I thought the increase would give me a bigger boost, but it didn’t – it just increased side effects and made me feel exhausted. So I went back down. It helps but it doesn’t help as much as I’d like. (Also, it’s prohibitively expensive, and every time I try to get a prescription filled, it is emotionally exhausting to be treated like a potential criminal.)

I wonder if other people have the experience of a drug that worked for them not working after a while.

REPORT ABUSE

Sugar_Shane

So is stimulant “tolerance” a myth or fact?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Sugar_Shane, these are questions for your pharmacist and your doctor.  They have the necessary training, expertise, and access to product monographs.  We on this Forum only have our own personal experience, and each person’s experience will vary.  So the answer to your question is, “It depends.”

Do watch those “Medications” videos in the Videos section.  They are very thorough, and will give you a lot of information.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

Hi People,

I use Concerta and find it works when I work with it. I have to take it before 10:00 am and I absolutely have to eat a meal. On the days I miss taking my med’s on time I take a standard 5 mg Ritalin, this has been working for me.

When I told my doctor that I had been using my “left-over” Ritalin to carry me on the days I missed my Concerta, he thought it was a good idea, and wrote a companion prescription of standard Ritalin for me. Good thing I was down to 3.

I did have an adjustment period because it didn’t “fix” me but I found that if I wanted to do something, or had to, it was a little easier to find ways to work with my timing. I have a lot of alarms, many are ignored but I know what is supposed to be going on when the alarm goes off. Even my sister liked my 6 pm alarm making sure I think about getting something to eat. They are working better with the repetition. I get annoyed but I remind myself that is why I set it, to annoy me into doing what I wanted to do at that time of day.

I too tried to up my dosage, well the doctor thought it was a good idea. Nope! I have to take the 27’s. The side effects were more than I could get used to, and I would avoid taking it, which is no help either.

I think Concerta is a success for me, at least at the moment. But I have to say the true best medicine for me has been the forums here on TotallyADD.

Your doctor and your pharmacy really are the best source of information when it comes to the med’s. But make sure you write down every little problem you have, as well as every benefit, that’s how they tailor your med’s to your particular symptoms.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)