Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Writing a novel about hitchhiking around the world on $3 a day

Writing a novel about hitchhiking around the world on $3 a day2014-01-27T12:23:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Motivation/Staying on Track Writing a novel about hitchhiking around the world on $3 a day

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

blackdog

I like the idea of comparing writing the story to painting a picture. That makes sense to me. I think I could see the outline much more clearly that way.

I also like the idea of putting everything in a hat and picking one at random.

I don’t do that well with free association stuff. Which is kind of strange for someone with ADHD. I was better at it when I was a kid though. I’m too uptight now, too worried about the outcome. I have become too rigid in my thinking. So I should try some of those exercises.

I think what I am most afraid of is what other people will think.

I read a few excerpts from a “how to write” book in the library once when I was working there, a long time ago. One of the writers who contributed to it was Stephen King. I remember he said not to get hung up on details when you’re writing. If you don’t know the capital city of Uzbekistan just call it Adderville. You can look up the real name later.  If you don’t know how Bob got his motorcycle down the chimney just make something up and then figure out if it’s possible later. Unless it’s absolutely critical to the story that you know for a fact how that motorcycle was lowered down that chimney.

What that coach said reminds me of an incident I remember from high school. It was grade 10 English. I had to write and  I didn’t get it done by the deadline (of course) but got an extension because I had the flu. When I wasn’t done by the second date the teacher questioned me. I told him I was having trouble writing it. So he asked to see my notes. He looked them over and said “You’ve got plenty of material here. All you need to do is put it together”.

That statement was like a lightening bolt. I went home and looked at my notes again and everything just fell into place.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

* an essay

I had to write an essay. I don’t know if I talk too much but I do know that I need to sleep more. When I start making sloppy mistakes in my typing I am definitely too tired.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)