Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Writing ADD/ADHD Resumes

Writing ADD/ADHD Resumes2011-02-07T00:59:16+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Bend The Workplace To You Writing ADD/ADHD Resumes

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, here is my conundrum… I am already bored with writing my resume…. AGAIN… So, again I am going to make an attempt at writing it correctly this time… How in the world can I write my resume to help get me a job that is better suited for me?

Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had mine done at a job depot place. see if you can find one near you, if not focus on what makes you a great employee. use descriptive words.

Look at the description of the job you want and tell them how you can meet their expectations.

use words like “team player”, “able to work independently.” tell them what skills you used in previous jobs.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hear ya. Trying to figure out the same thing. Been trying to settle down to write the resume for like 3 weeks now……. just trying to figure out the starting block. Just can’t seem to figure out what to write this time ’round. Best of luck…

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Daniel,

If you are married, your wife could be a great resource. If not, a friend.

I work on lists, so write lists to help you with the steps.

Next, look at a company near you who typically hires people with your skill set. Make an appointment with one of the managers. Don’t know one? No problem. Join Linkedin. Find someone. Make an appointment with them and let them know “I am not looking for a job, nor am I expecting you to find me a job. I am looking for advice on how to write an effective resume, that highlights my exceptional skills at <insert your career here>”

Most people want to help other people. Some people are jerks. You don’t want to work for them anyway. Come to the interview with your resume as it is or as good as you can get it. Go over it, and ask this person questions about the field. At the end of the interview (you are the one conducting it) ask this person to give you a couple referrals they have. These would be hiring managers of companies you want to work at, or who hire people with your skills.

At the interview, have a page with your strengths as a bulleted list. Explain to your new contact, these are the strengths you want to highlight and ask their advice on how to change your resume to do that.

Reinforce, the fact you are NOT going to ask them for a job, but ask them for advice with your job search. It takes the pressure off of them. They don’t have to find you a job, they just have to find someone who is helpful.

Write thank you notes and stay in contact with them.

I did this for several months, and after the last interview, the manager said “How would you like to work for this company?” I almost swallowed my tongue. I replied “Sir, That would be wonderful, can we meet some other time, to discuss it?”

The worst thing that can happen is this: Your network of contacts increases HUGELY. Your resume gets polished and critiqued. Your interview skills get practiced.

The best thing that can happen: You get a job.

This works for me, because all (Heh! Yea. all) is take good notes at the interviews and ask good questions. I find, I am more focused at interviews, because there aren’t many distractions…. OMG I had one interview where one of those stupid sea planes was landing in Lake Union. I pointed it out to the interviewer as a “how do you guys get any work done around here with that going on outside your window?” They weren’t impressed. Chalk one up for impulsive.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i just did a jobfinders course, and was told that you should tweak your resume for every job single you apply to, and keep a copy of that version- along with the job ad you replied to, in a page of a big binder by the phone at home (so you know what you said, or can refer to it, when they phone you).

apparently thats because nowadays resumes are usually scanned by computer software that matches words on the resume with keywords that meet the requirements on the advert- if they say they want someone who is ‘highly adaptable, flexible, and good at juggling staplers’, your resume needs to have you listed as ‘a flexible, highly adaptable person, with excellent juggling skills’ or the software won’t pick you out.

i wouldn’t go to a resume writing place, cos employers can smell that sort of resume a mile away, and it won’t ‘look or feel’ like you, or really be yours- its easy to get caught out if they use words or sentance structure, or portray a person that just doesn’t match the you they meet at interveiw.

instead, i’d go to a community employment centre type place where they help people with that sort of stuff for free- cos the government pays them to, and get all the free help and support they have on offer- most do workshops that cover accompanying letters, interveiw practice, networking skills, etc- and they tend to be pretty savvy about the job market/most recent careers stuff- cos they have a vested interest in getting you into a job (the success stats that support their funding) as aposed to having a vested interest in taking your personal money out of your pocket right then and there for making you a shiny ‘cut and paste’ document.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I forgot something… How do you know you are getting better at interviewing, and your resume is good to go? You start getting job offers instead of referrals. Is this a great world or what?!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

you can also call a few days after the interview and ask the employer if you can come in for a chat to get some verbal feedback on your reference too. sending a ‘thankyou’ email or card the day after the interveiw is cunning too- can win you a tie. :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)