Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Wrongfully Terminated

Wrongfully Terminated2011-03-08T21:12:18+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace The Law/Employment Wrongfully Terminated

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was a flight dispatcher with a major US airline for 18 years until I was wrongfully terminated in January of 2008 after testing positive for amphetamine during a “random” DOT drug test. 3 months before my termination I had passed my annual competency check with the reviewer writing on my review form that I was a very competent dispatcher and that my many years of experience were quite evident during my review. My primary care physician had certified twice to the airline that my use of Adderall would not adversely affect my job performance. I had been diagnosed with ADD in June of 2003, and was taking prescribed Adderall to manage my symptoms. The medical review officer didn’t feel that taking Adderall for ADD was a legitimate medical reason, so she reported my test as positive which resulted in my immediate termination and the FAA exerting its emergency revocation authority (which is normally reserved for suspected cases of “drug kingpin activity”) to revoke my aircraft dispatchers license. Before that, the airline had subjected me to an improper mental exam after I had revealed my ADD status in a totally unrelated court document that I had filed in a cause of mandamus against Indiana Adult Protective Services in the state of Indiana. This mandatory mental exam was due to perceived “liability issues” that the airline felt could arise due to my disclosure. I filed a complaint with the EEOC in March of 2008 and finally received a “right to sue” letter from the EEOC in March of 2010 and filed my lawsuit against the airline in July of 2010. I have been unable to find an attorney to represent my in my wrongful termination/discrimination lawsuit. I have tried the AZ Center for Disability Law and Community Legal Services but neither has the resources to help me. I can not afford to use the AZ BAR Association referral service again because it charges $40.00 per referral. I have been able to manage my case pro se up until this point, but the next steps are the scheduling conference and jury trial, and I desperately need to find legal help on a contingency basis before then. I don’t know where else to turn. Do you know of any attorneys in Phoenix, AZ who would be able to help me?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just joined this site but would very much like to talk to you about your plight. I realize that your post is a year old. Please get in touch with me. Best of luck to you. Ken

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)