Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Yep, its a journey

Yep, its a journey2011-03-12T18:36:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Yep, its a journey

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

This could go in “I’m new” or in some medication area, though here seems more appropriate. So, hi everyone, thanks for this great forum, and for making me feel like I want to contribute.

I was first diagnosed in the mid 90’s, had a bad experiance with a buch of stuff, and dropped the whole idea of add. About 18 months ago, after life had been taking a turn for the worst, I asked my Dr to refer me to someone for an adult ADHD assesment. It took over a year for it to happen. This time the interviews were more comprehensive and feel like they have a better idea of who I am. And yes, ADHD was the diagnossis again, with some depression spread out over my life as a result.

So, a week ago I got my first presciption for Concerta. I was amazed at how excited I was and how much anticipation I ascribed to taking this pill. Was this really going to start fixing my problems? Was I going to be able to think clearly, arrange my thoughts, and not get distracted? There was so much emontional baggage tied to the taking of one pill. And so it started. Well, as it turns out, Concerta is not the medication for me. The last week has been hell and after about 5 days I stopped taking Concerta. In many ways all of my symptoms became worse. There were times of better focus and attention, but generally it was all a manic hell.

Because of all the anticipation associated with the first pill, there was the associated let down when it didn’t work for me. Maybe there is no hope for me? Maybe I just have to get on with life as it is and I wont acheive the things I have dreamt of? Self-esteem takes yet another hit. It’s a crappy place to be and I know many of you will know what I am talking about. That is were this forum has been really helpful. I have read many of the accounts in the medications section, and from your sharing I am still hopefull about finding the right drug for me. So, thanks for that!

Today I have started on Vyvanse and have my fingers crossed. I took it about 2 hours ago and it seems to be doing ok. Still not sure what is the left over fog of the Concerta and what is the effects of the Vyvanase, but hopefully it will become clearer with time. No “aha” moment for me as some have reported. We are all differnt. Mind you, this is the second long email/post I have written this morning so maybe we are onto a good thing. Next I have to get onto stuff I “must” do rather than I would “like” to do, so we will see how that works out. :-)

So I picked the screen name survialist because thats where I feel I am at the moment – surviving. And really, thats what I have been doing for a lot of my life, finding ways to survive in a world that does not take kindly to the ADD brain. Thanks for making this a safe shelter to visit before heading out into the storm again.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Well said. Don’t give up!! These are the big steps.

And yes, once you do get onto one or two of those things you “must” do—and you see yourself following through, and you enjoy the gratification of the visible results—you’ll know you’re on solid ground and this will all be so worth it. You’ll be more self-propelled, and you’ll be able to just concentrate on the road ahead instead of always wondering if you’ve taken the right turn or whether you should quit.

Here’s hoping Vyvanse is your med.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ditto – “well said”. You’re definitely not alone in this crazy process. It’s such a process, isn’t it? I’m on my second medication for a trial period. It’s day 3 and I’ve just taken 30mg of Dextrostat. It seems to being doing something, I just don’t know what yet. I tried Ritalin first and it didn’t have any impact. We’re going to try Adderall next. I’ve read some here and elsewhere that others with ADHD Inattentive Type have had good experiences with Adderall. I’m hopeful that one of these two will work. I’ll look forward to reading what works for you too. Hang in there :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks folks – day two is nearing its end and the whole emotional side is way better. Focus has been better on some of the “must do” things, but I would not say “life changing” at this stage. Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the week brings.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just know you are not alone. I am also looking for the “life changing experience” or even the “aha” moment.

Keep going, we cant get where we want to be without adversity!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)