Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?

You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?2010-12-11T17:40:01+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi folks. I’ve been “lurking” in the forms for the past couple of days, trying to read as many of the posted comments as my attention span will allow me. I stumbled upon “ADD and Loving It” television show the other night and thankfully set it to record on the PVR. Little wonder I’ve always been a big fan of both Patrick McKenna and Rick Green and have always related to their unique sense of humour.

I am a 46 year old male, currently in the process of being formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist specializing in adult ADHD. Two years ago, I never even knew about the condition and, like many of us, learned of ADHD in an indirect way. At that time, we had pulled my then 17 year old son out of the public school system after his marks declined from a A average in the D range. The private school showed a keen interest in getting his marks up to where the had previously been and after a meeting with the staff during 1st semester, a teacher asked us if he had ever been tested for ADHD. I remember, turning to my wife (who’s coincidently is also a teacher) and asking, “what’s ADHD”?

Through the process of having him tested by a psychometrist and consulting with our family doctor, he was diagnosed with ADD – learning disability and put on concerta which helped boost his grades back up to 80%. He’s still struggles with his marks in university as he had myself discover about the condition we were born with.

You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy? Well, I never believed I was stupid, but perhaps a bit of a dough-head, like my father used to call me. I was generally an average student through public and high school, who’s teachers believed I worked only up to a fraction of my potential. “Tends to daydream”, “could do better if he put in more effort”, and “lacks fine motor control” were the norm for my report cards from about Grade Three on. I was able to put it together well enough to get accept to university but impulsively changes my major first week (to this day, I honestly don’t know what I was thinking). Struggling in a field of study I had no aptitude for, I dropped out half way through second year and moved back home, not sure what to do next.

Twenty-six years later, I feel that my life has been successful, despite all the bumps in the road along the way. Almost 22 years of marriage to the most wonderful person in the world, three fantastic kids, large home, cottage and a successful real estate practice. However, I still feel that there is something missing in my life and that’s what precipitated by seeking a professional diagnosis that will hopefully, help me “connect the dots” that remain elusive to this day.

Most days, my mind feels like a Ferrari….racing at 140 kilometres per hour, through a school zone! I “zone-out”, feel like I’m lost in the fog, act impulsively and struggle to keep myself organized and on task. Thankfully, I have excellent communication skills (especially orally), a charming and empathetic demeanor and a remarkable medium-long term memory (remembering people’s names is important in my business). I’ve also hired some excellent people to do the things I’m no good at doing (bookkeeping, paperwork. organization).

Until two years ago, I believed I was the only person on the planet that felt like I do. I am happy to know that I’m not alone in the struggles we experience from day to day and look forward to participating in these online forms and to my next appointment with my ADHD psychiatrist in January. Finding a medication that works for me, as well as implementing new strategies to help cope with my symptoms has me existed in anticipation for 2011.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Welcome to the “family,” Jim! Here’s to 2011.:)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here here! Welcome.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I, too am looking forward to a new me, and 2011. Not that there’s anything wrong with the old me, but seeing how I can possibly control what’s there, there’s excitement over the possibilities.

Crazy? Yeah, hope I always am! Lazy? No, not by intent anyway, and I do accomplish a lot, just, well, unfocused. Welcome to another “Brother”. ;-)

To quote a famous actress “I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jim. Thanks for sharing your life’s story. I am the Parent of 30 something with ADD and Dyslexia and reading this has helped me to better understand the challenges facing Adults with ADD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, folks…it’s much appreciated. I’m happy to have discovered the television show and this website and look forward to discovering all the resources contained within and participating in the forms as well.

Does anyone know of a ADD support group here in Central Ontario? I know there is one in Toronto but a bit too far for me being 2 hours north.

Jim

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)