Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Yup, it's ADD alright, textbook case

Yup, it's ADD alright, textbook case2011-06-16T18:18:21+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? Yup, it's ADD alright, textbook case

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just got back from my assessment appointment with my husband. I have to have a sleep study so that we can see how much that is contributing before he does the final report to my doctor but yes, it’s ADD, and he says I’m a textbook case.

He made suggestions to both of us (he figures my husband has it too, he self-diagnosed), such as getting our sleep cycle in order, getting up and having breakfast every morning, etc. He just got back from Berlin where he met someone who is studying sleep and ADD, and he says that being on the computer late at night is very bad, the light from the computer monitor goes right to the back of the retina (TV doesn’t), and it messes with the melatonin production that is what helps us feel sleepy. I had somehow figured out that I needed to get off the computer earlier but now I have a good reason why.

He also said we both need to have about 1.5 hours of exercise PER DAY. Holy cow, how am I going to fit THAT into my crazy busy schedule?

He gave me the names of two meds to investigate:

Biphentin

Concerta

and a lengthy reading list …… yikes!

I’m also going back on my husband’s Ritalin until I see him again as it is definitely helping with my sleep issues. I can sleep most of the night now, and if I do get up, I can go back to sleep fairly quickly. Just need to get some room darkening shades for the bedroom as I do tend to wake up with the sun coming up in the morning and that’s too early for me!

So I am very happy that I’ve pretty much got a diagnosis, it’s a pain in the bottom waiting for the sleep study and I can’t get back to see him until September, but now we’re moving ahead in a positive direction. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, and my husband just got the diagnosis from his sleep study today – severe sleep apnea and severe restless leg syndrome. CPAP recommended. Going to be hard to get him to comply with treatment but we’ve heard from a friend that not using the CPAP when you need one can lead to heart attack and death (his friend died). So that’s motivation of a sort.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

DH and I stopped sleeping together 5 years ago. I don’t sleep and it allows him to sleep through the night. So if your sleep study comes back negative then you may want to investigate separate beds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, curlymoe. He’s already sleeping on a camp cot downstairs (for the past week). He snores so loudly that he needs to be in another room even when I’m wearing earplugs. I wish I had something that could measure the db so I could show him what it’s like.

Even on the Ritalin, I wake up a bit, but I’m starting a log to see exactly what’s happening. The ADD psych suggested the same thing for my ritalin trials, since I asked him whether or not I could up the dosage until we get a written report and treatment plan. He’s completely ok with me taking it, just suggests I try the 10 mg for awhile and record how I feel at various times, after 2 hours, after 4 hours, etc. then maybe try 15 mg, max they used to prescribe was 25 mg 3x day. So I need to start being my own lab rat, I guess!

When we get our house cleaned out, we’re going to put in a daybed.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had no idea that light from the computer monitor affects so much. I used to sit a lot in front of computer late in night and realized a few problems in me too.

I have study sleep and have heard a lot about the effects of light on the sleep but could never realize that it is my computer screen that is affecting my sleep quality.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Oy! That must be why I look up from the computer screen and it’s 10pm and it feels like 4pm to me and I’m like Maaaaaaan, I’m not ready to shut down and go to bed! I’ve still got lot more thinking to do! And I was even thinking about maybe cleaning out my closet! Plus I’m hungry.

So, yeah, being on the internets just before bed is a no no.

Also, probably that three hour nap I take when I get home from work. 😯

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)