Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

53 just diagnosed a couple questions..

53 just diagnosed a couple questions..2011-03-05T05:11:29+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? 53 just diagnosed a couple questions..

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 53 and I have just been diagnosed with mixed ADHD, today – after being diagnosed 25 years ago with depression. I have been on prozac all this time which of course (duh) has done nothing for the ADD which is now totally out of control – or rather has been out of control with anxiety to the point of hypomania. I have been seeing a Phys. working on things with her, and also a RN PMHNP for diagnosis and medication assessment. It has taken us nine weeks of some very intense work and other possible diagnosis to come to this diagnosis. I have to say I have watched several of the videos from Totally ADD.com and neary a one does not fit me to the T. I also took the virtual test and hum – 9 out of 9 on all of the areas… Yup run, run fast, far away, she is Total ADD!!!! :-)

I am currently taking 10 mg amitriptyline at night to stop the “monkey brain” in my head at least while I sleep, which I can do now. Amitriptyline was also used as part of the tools to diagnose me, apparently it works on helping with dopamine. I am having a lot of anxiety, to the point that is has disrupted my life. So for that I am meditating regularly in short sessions of 10 minutes or so through out the day and practicing “half smiles” and breathing from my diaphragm – all things I learned from this book: “I Want To Change My Life” by Dr. Steven M. Melemis. While the book does not go into ADD, the techniques Dr. Melemis takes you through step by step by step I think are a very valuable tool for anyone with ADD and I would highly recommend the book. I am not someone who enjoys reading, I hardly ever comprehend what I am reading but there were very few pages I had to read over for me missing content in this book. I felt like I was being read to rather than reading, good book! It took me 2 weeks to get through it though… <LOL>

So now we are going to look to what medication is going to work for me as an additional aid. Unfortunately adderall xr is out of my price range, even the generic which I think may even be off the market as Teva the mfg was closed by the FDA in 2010. So after this long preamble I have a few questions – Is anyone here taking Adderall IR and if so what might I expect symptom wise verses a slow release xr? Also how’s that working for you? I realize medications work differently for different people but having something to bench mark off of might be helpful for me. Remember I took prozac for 25 years and it was not working…. I believe the reason my provider wants to use Adderall over Ritalin is that it not only blocks the reuptake of the dopamine but also acts to increase its levels directly on a cellular level.

I will also be looking for a support group and a life coach, however right now I am just trying to wrap my head around the diagnosis

Thanks for being here for me!!

Quiz

I am 53 and I have just been diagnosed with mixed ADHD, today – after being diagnosed 25 years ago with depression. I have been on prozac all this time which of course (duh) has done nothing for the ADD which is now totally out of control – or rather has been out of control with anxiety to the point of hypomania. I have been seeing a Phys. working on things with her, and also a RN PMHNP for diagnosis and medication assessment. It has taken us nine weeks of some very intense work and other possible diagnosis to come to this diagnosis. I have to say I have watched several of the videos from Totally ADD.com and neary a one does not fit me to the T. I also took the virtual test and hum – 9 out of 9 on all of the areas… Yup run, run fast, far away, she is Total ADD!!!! :-)

I am currently taking 10 mg amitriptyline at night to stop the “monkey brain” in my head at least while I sleep, which I can do now. Amitriptyline was also used as part of the tools to diagnose me, apparently it works on helping with dopamine. I am having a lot of anxiety, to the point that is has disrupted my life. So for that I am meditating regularly in short sessions of 10 minutes or so through out the day and practicing “half smiles” and breathing from my diaphragm – all things I learned from this book: “I Want To Change My Life” by Dr. Steven M. Melemis. While the book does not go into ADD, the techniques Dr. Melemis takes you through step by step by step I think are a very valuable tool for anyone with ADD and I would highly recommend the book. I am not someone who enjoys reading, I hardly ever comprehend what I am reading but there were very few pages I had to read over for me missing content in this book. I felt like I was being read to rather than reading, good book! It took me 2 weeks to get through it though… <LOL>

So now we are going to look to what medication is going to work for me as an additional aid. Unfortunately adderall xr is out of my price range, even the generic which I think may even be off the market as Teva the mfg was closed by the FDA in 2010. So after this long preamble I have a few questions – Is anyone here taking Adderall IR and if so what might I expect symptom wise verses a slow release xr? Also how’s that working for you? I realize medications work differently for different people but having something to bench mark off of might be helpful for me. Remember I took prozac for 25 years and it was not working…. I believe the reason my provider wants to use Adderall over Ritalin is that it not only blocks the reuptake of the dopamine but also acts to increase its levels directly on a cellular level.

I will also be looking for a support group and a life coach, however right now I am just trying to wrap my head around the diagnosis

Thanks for being here for me!!

Quiz

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Be careful with the amitriptyline. A doctor put me on that for depression in the early 90s and I gained so much weight. Once she switched me to Prozac, I had no additional weight gain. I’m now on Zoloft and it hasn’t affected my weight at all either. In fact, I’ve been able to lose weight while on it (not related to the Zoloft, just not hindered by it).

I’m 51 and was just recently diagnosed. I’m on 10 mg of Ritalin 2 times per day and I’m liking it so far. I just wish the effects lasted a little longer.

I’m curious too about other meds that I could be taking. I have an appoint with my shrink next Monday and I would imagine that’s what we will be discussing.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the ADD club. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brentitude, I would almost bet your doctor will consider trying Concerta on a trial basis. Years ago, my son used ritalin and it was the same problem for him. It only lasts 4 hours at a time. Concerta? For me, I get about 9- 10 hours out of it. I use ‘regular’ ritalin for my evening hours if I really want or need focus for it.

Quiz, I once used amitriptyline but it was prescribed for helping me fall asleep at night and to help with what the doctor had thought was fibromyalgia. It didn’t help with either (especially since one of them wasn’t even fibro). Hopefully you’ll get some good results with your new meds since obviously treating you with prozac wasn’t hitting the root cause of your symptoms either.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, zsazsa (Dahling). :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brentitude & Zsazsa

Thanks for your support and tips. I will keep you posted as this adventure begins… I just watched the Webnair on holistic approach to ADD – I made my list and and looks like life is going to begin soon! So far so goo on the amitriptyline, no weight gain, in fact I have lost weight the past month or so that I have been off the prozac. I am also way less “depressed” <LOL>

Nite night,

Q

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great post. I have some comments on meds, but I am NO doctor and probably have some misconceptions about meds.

I was prescribed Elavil (amitriptyline) for a migraine problem which was really sinus headaches – thanks Mr. Doc for the thourough exam. In any case it removed my “migraines”, my sex life, my personality… yeah — bad for me. It made me so sleepy that there were no monkeys in my brain, or in my world. Gained about 15 pounds, being a big guy it wasn’t so noticable but still bad.

Adderal XR, by Teva. I just filled my Rx for this and the copay was my standard, which means I pay $31 or 15% of the cost, whichever is more! I think the retail is closer to $200. WOW – I hear that. So — they aren’t closed by the FDA now.

There aren’t any support groups near me, but these online forums serve up some of that help. I still like the real rooms o people type support groups, but these virtual ones are great too.

I have read the books on this site, and several from Dr. Hallowells site. All have helped immensley. I hope my comments have increased your info level. I hope they didn’t come off in a negative way!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

MT9er – no issues with your feed back at all, besides Thank you!! I will check on the Teva thing, my script was for 60 10 mg tabs and that was going to be 438.00 here, and no one could even find the generic. I will check with my “mail pahrm” option though. I hear you on the weight gain possiblities and I will heed that. I am only taking 10mg and it is at bed time when I am not tempted to eat. I don’t have much of an appitite anyway and have to just about force myself to eat in the mornings. New rule eat before coffee… :-)

I will also lookd for a support group – I am near Portland Oregon.

Thanks again,

Quiz

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

My experience with Adderal XR was that it left me feeling anxious at night and interfering with my sleep. I started on only 5mg/day but after not even 2 weeks I decided to go back on to the generic Ritalin at 10mg. 3x/day. I feel much better and while when I first started I thought the short lasting effect was well, too short I have changed my mind because I like that I can space out the dose to suit my day.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Nellie –

I jotted this down for comparison. I have only been on Adderall (not extended release) for 4 days and while I do see a way better day – the clarity is amazing, by nightfall I am as you describe, and my sleep last night was very light, I kept waking feeling like it was time to get up. That is not going to do. I need to not only have clarity but my body needs to feel rested too.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay. I’ve just jumped in with both feet here (Newly registered after watching ADD and Loving it on MPT the other day). When I was first diagnosed, the sustained release meds were still new and VERY expensive. I started on “regular” Ritalin. I felt the effects within 15 minutes. I was lucky. It was truly like turning on the lights. I’ve been on Concerta for the last 4 years.

I remember when I was a member on another forum that there was a lot of discussion regarding the anxiety crash from Adderall – folks switched to other meds with good result. It would appear, Quiz, that you are someone for whom Adderall isn’t a good fit.

It seems that doctors these days go straight to the sustained release medications, rather than using the short acting versions to first determine whether someone has ADD (do they still do that? “If meds help, then you’ve got ADD?”) and WHICH formulation is the best fit. Given that the short acting meds are much cheaper, it just makes sense.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone –

I so appreciate all the feed back! I have been on the Adderall SI – 10 mg for 6 days now and I do feel it is helping (a lot) but I am not happy with the side affects: Nervousness, dry mouth, tense shoulders, neck and jaw. Toward night time I must be having a drop off as I seem more prone to anxiety, and back to not being able to talk without lost thoughts and hesitations, which is one of my annoying ADD symptoms. I will be seeing my provider on Monday, and my thought was to see if she would be willing to try a course of Methylphenidate (generic Ritalin). So another question born from Lion lady observation that the Adderall SI probably is a poor fit for me (thanks for your note!) What experiences can any of you share with Ritalin SR vers Ritalin SI? I have very high deductible insurance, so I am looking for a generic if possible. Adderall XR even the generic is out of my price range at $409.00 for 90 day supply via my mail order insurance option with a 2800.00 deductible!

Also – what books have you found to be helpful for impulse management? Or general just good skill building books for adults with ADHD?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My doctor offered to try me on Adderall for a while, but it I didn’t notice any better results. I did have an “unsettled” feeling at the end of the day… I switched back to methylphenidate.

I haven’t found any books that help with impulse management. The best suggestion I can offer is to be aware of your impulse tendencies, so you can better handle situations that arise. I’d love to hear anybody else’s strategies.

P

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Quiz,

Quiz,

Books I really liked and found hepful

You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo

Women with ADHD by Sari Solden

Books by Dr. Ned Halwell

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay I think Adderall and I are beginning to get along – It has been two weeks today and I think I have settled on a livable dosage ( for now). 5 mg first thing in the morning and 5 mg about lunch time. The feeling of crispy is going away and as long and I drink a good amount of water during the day things seem to be leveling out. Sleep is becoming better so that is good too. Thanks for the book suggestions. I met with my Psy on Friday, she suggested the same books. So off we go more to read… Sure hope I can focus!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Quiz….Has the nervousousness and tenseness gotten better? I’m thinking of Adderall, but I can tend to be jittery ie, biting hang nails and inside of mouth, foot going 90 mph. I’m worried that these will worsen if I start to take adderall. Please let me know. Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)