Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

53 just diagnosed a couple questions..

53 just diagnosed a couple questions..2011-03-05T05:11:29+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? 53 just diagnosed a couple questions..

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lindstr7 –

Yes the nervousousness and tensensee has subsided completely now, and I think how I feel is what some people might call “normal”. Once I decreased the dosage to 5 mg at a time lots of things changed, all for the better – I am way more calm and I am able to focus, sit still and I have even been thinking about regimented exercise, that’s really odd for me… 😉

I am still drinking quite a bit of water and I think that is helping too with side affects. I still get a little rush first thing in the morning and I have to keep myself from hyper-focusing which is one of my ADHD problems. I can hyper-focus hours away…

With what you are describing as things you are doing – you might want to talk to your MD about possible anxiety in additon to the ADHD? I found that taking a small dose of Lorazepam (.5 mg) one time a day helped in the first week of Adderal but – I am very blessed – Not only do I have ADHD, I have anxiety and panic along with PTSD… So with that maybe I needed it for one of the other disroders…

Hope this helps –

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Quiz- Yes that is great news. I’m going in Tuesday hoping to get started on the meds. I’m also wondering if any of you have teenage children and how this condition has affected them. My daughter is 16 and her grades are terrible and always have been really.

My question is: Nature vs. Nurture. Could my behavior all these years have affected her development or is it a chemical or gene thing. I know no one knows this for sure, but if any of you have any experience with this I’d appreciate hearing from you. I told her that I was going to go see the doctor about this and she started wondering if SHE had ADD. I loathe the idea of her going on meds at 16 but am I depriving her of her full potential? Should I wait to see how I do on the meds and see if getting it together and being more focused at home makes a difference for her (nurture)? It just kills me inside to think that my behavior is stifling her true potential. ANyone? Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Ok this response is a bit late but if it helps any,

I would say if your daughter is open to exploring the possibility of her having ADD then I’d say go for it. If it turns out to be that she is ADD then it may save her a lot of struggles in the long run. I know for me that although I managed to get through school ok in the end, it would have been a lot easier had I known then what I know now.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

As for ADD and the nature vs nurture thing….From experience I would say perhaps my disorganization deprived my kids of a more regimented life, but that didn’t make them terrible at math! So I think a person who is going to catch on at school will catch on regardless of the parent’s ADD. One of my kids turned out to have a learning disability which I thought was ADD. As it turned out it was me who had ADD and she had something totally different! The other daughter thinks it’s all silly and won’t get tested despite my suggesting she do. Like me, she can pull things off when she wants too so just thinks she’s lazy.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)