Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….

A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….2011-10-25T09:05:40+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I started my new job I had only been there a couple of days and hadn’t met the owner yet cuz he was out of town. The day I met him he came up to me and introduced himself and told me that he watches all his new employee’s on the camera the first time they are left alone. He straight up asked me, “Are you ADHD or something?” I was shocked, caught off guard, and embarrassed. I told him I did have and why he would that and he told me that I cant sit still but he thinks its great and if I ever needed anything just to ask. It turned out to work out really well for me!

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

My friend knew, but I had forgotten about the ADD part. So at one point of my life, I totally forgot I had ADD. Mainly because I was off the medicine and did not have a social worker helping me. My high school, had social workers to work with a bunch teens with ADD. It was a good idea, however none of us knew we had, until years later. A girl from the group told me she was put back on medicine because of college.

My mom told me that I still have it, but seemed to have a good grip on it. She has a doctor’s name incase I ever needed or referred to a doctors. How ever, last year I was not covered on health care. Now that I am now I can make an appointment but of course I am coping with changes.

Some people just noticed things.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

It’s funny, when I got the diagnosis people who knew me dismissed it. “You’re successful, what are you talking about?” This was in the middle of my divorce. Some success! Anyway, when people know what ADHD is, they seem better able to recognize it. But then I find, the more I get it handled, the less obvious it is. Even to me. Of course, that can change faster than the weather. Last week I was hugely productive, whereas this week… not so much. Or that’s how it feels to me.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Somebody once asked me if I were on speed. When I said “no,” she seemed surprised: “Are you sure? Then what ARE you on?”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience has been “it takes one to know one”. A couple of my friends had asked me question about what medication I was on for my ADHD before I was ever diagnosed. Both of these people are ADHD and saw the same in me. While other friends and co-workers just assumed I was a little scatter brained.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently went to a tax accountant to help me with some prior year issues. We were half way through our meeting and the woman asked me if I had ADHD. It turned out she had some graduate training in special education and picked up on my rapid speech and some other symptoms.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a question: What makes a perfect stranger?

By definition, if you know nothing about them, how can you assume they are perfect!

WOFH

Pete x

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hello Pete

Nice thinking! How are you?

Just to stay on topic to prove I can without Rit (haha) someone at work told someone else she thought I had ADHD and others used to call me ‘Ritalin kid’ when I wandered off topic. If only they knew how right they were.

:P

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m good thank you Miss Scatty, just got back from Geneva. The ice around the lake was mind blowing..

On topic:

All off my work companions tell me im way to hyper, wander off topic and that i should drink less coffee, ummm yeah ok lol…

They should perhaps see me without stimulants sometime :p

WOFH

Pete xx

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Pete

Glad you’re OK. Geneva! I am envious. Guess there were no hippos in the lake if it was iced over. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

>>>Just a question: What makes a perfect stranger?

By definition, if you know nothing about them, how can you assume they are perfect! <<<

That’s easy, with me it’s usually because I saw it on the news.

***smerk***

What does WOFH stand for? eYm curious.

“for every silly question there is a silly answer”

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

>>> Anyway, when people know what ADHD is, they seem better able to recognize it. But then I find, the more I get it handled, the less obvious it is. Even to me. Of course, that can change faster than the weather> <<<

I can relate, it’s a bummer being moody on top of the hypo-mania motor-mouth clown act. Sometimes I magically can be patient, quiet and have good manners, even sit still!. Then, it’s withdrawn, lone wolf mode. I have a fun “therapist” mode my daughter likes to make fun of. She’s a real ham, I wonder where she get’s that?

I want to help people become more aware about ADHD, and especially the fact that there are no “typical” ADHD cases. I can let it go when people dismiss the whole idea. It’s sometimes too complicated for me to explain anyway, depending on my mood of course. Especially to a person who’s already made up their mind. I find it difficult to “let it go” and let people be wrong. It’s better to be happy than right, but I don’t stay happy.

Most of all, the fact that I’m barely a toddler in the process of recovering/accepting my diagnosis, helps me accept peoples ignorance. I have strong tendencies to be precocious though. Boing Boing Boing… (me n the walls) and another stampede of yeah butts run through my brain.

I don’t know if you’re moody like I am Rick, and all you gals/guys. I’m not sure if the way my symptoms change from day to day is part of the ADHD, or possibly bi-polar, or some other moodiness, or multi-personality problem. A friend (co-worker actually) used to joke around with me and say “when I show up for work, I always wonder which of the many faces of Robbo I’ll be working with today”, he seemed to like me anyway, I never forgot that friendly diagnosis. I couldn’t deny any of his observation. I wonder how many related disorders we develop over the years just from having undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed ADHD? It’s so dang scary and risky seeing a psychiatrist, they’re all so darn human. There are so many different problems people can have. I want to be like I was when I was 5, just grab a blanket, maybe find a pillow, go hide n snooze, my oldest escape mechanism. I don’t like it when people can read me and expose my struggle, or pain so simply, so easily. A young pastor at a church I used to go to looked at me one day and somehow could see that I was beyond miserable, he used the word “tormented” It was awful being so transparent. It catches me by surprise because it’s such a rare event. It rocks my world when that happens. How dare anyone judge me and be right!

What haunts me that I don’t have much hope of getting rid of is my desire for the novelty of new hobbies, experiences, discovery, and new, more interesting ways to have fun. Extreme sports!. I recently met a drop dead beautiful woman and the chemistry is so powerful it feels truly dangerous. She just grins at me, and I can tell she’s just as interested in me… I wonder if it’s all just my imagination. Of course I’m gonna keep flirting with her and talking to her. But it’s dumb to bring the mess of me into a romantic relationship. I don’t know what I’m thinking… Oh that’s right, I wasn’t, I was just lost in her beautiful eyes.

I want life to be an action adventure movie with hair raising car chases, massive crash n burn scenes we miraculously survive, and endless sequels. She can be my co-star.

I’ve got this ADHD problem all figured out now, LOL, I need a more difficult problem to solve.. Funny one huh? I’m glad that’s justa buncha bulowny pilgrim! Oh I know! I’ll get into a relationship! yeah! my life isn’t complicated enough huh?

Life is a massive riddle. Maybe if I found all the answers I want, I would just die of boredom. Just drop dead from lack of stimulation.

Out of gas. This only took about 3 hours to write, edit, finish.

I’ve barfed my mind all over this web site again, huh?

AAACK, UURP! SSSpllash

burp…

ugh.

Sat night 9:30 2/18/12

PS I just got a fun idea! print this out and give it to my new lady friend, should I? hmmm. help! helpme helpme

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Robbo

Pete’s WOFH means ‘watch out for hippos’. You might have noticed he has a ‘thing’ about hippos. Good to have some crazy humour here.

Good luck with your lady friend. Put a positive spin on the ADHD with her – it makes you a deep but lively thinker kind of spin.

Women don’t want to hear the negatives – at least not at first.

Wow her with the positives about you Robbo – there are a lot of them.

:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Robbo

Imagine for a moment, a guy and gal. They date, book meals, once in a while become spontanious. They plan, they save, they plan again.. and again…and again… How dull is that sounding!

Some other people like spontanious, wacky, funny, wild, happy, crazy, passionate, clever, different. < I choose the latter. Im not quite sure where I am going with this, but shall just say. Be yourself, express your thoughts to her, explain you think different from most and ask her out.

Let her make up her mind, im sure she will choose you Robbo, go for it.

As you can tell I have to keep my replys pretty short or I tend to loose the thread. But expand a little on what I have written and I think you will get my point.

Good luck fella and tell her to “buckle up Dorithy, Kansas is going bye bye”x

WOFH

Pete xx

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Miss Scatty

It’s more than just a thing about hippos!

I have documents to prove they are secretly shipping mud holes to all the major citys on the globe. Washington, London, Belin! Im not quite sure what they are up too, but im in way to deep to get out now!

They have my name and are at this very moment watching me, so I will have to go undercover ( perhaps dressed as a giraffe ) to infiltrate their numbers and discover just what they have planned.

Wish me luck, I have to go now. I see them coming I SEE THEM COMING!

Pete does a quick ninja flip onto the computer table, shouts come and get some hippo boy and scuffles crab like to the open window before falling out and landing head first into a trash can, breaks wind and calls for his mummy!

NOTE TO SELF: being a super spy is hard work sometimes!

WOFH

Pete xx

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)