Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….

A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….2011-10-25T09:05:40+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Scattybird
    Participant

WOFH Pete WOFH!

:P

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

LOL! ukay, I get’s the pikcher. Thanks for fillin me in Scatty lady. Sorry bout callin you “brother” Scattty on some other thread. Justa lil brain fart, I wonder if brain farts can be considered a symptom of ADHD? :-D no need to answer…

Hippo’s! yep, they have those suspicious looking “We’re up to something, we don’t trust you humans as far as we can hurl you” look in their eyes, huh? Good luck on your giraffe idea/mission should you choose to accept it. Pete, remember, giraffes don’t make good ninja’s okay? too much neck to break, n they can only run in slow motion. Huh”?. Your posts are fun to read.

So, about this lovely lady I’ve met.

This is sometimes the best part of any romance relationship, the interest, the intrigue, the mystery. And then there’s my imagination!… oh boy, oh man, oh jeeze… It may turn out to be nothin. Gotta keep that in mind. Nah, too boring huh? ***grin***

I wrote this last nite. Most of it’s on the cutting room floor, but it’s as short. Thanks for the support gangstars. And the good support at the “ASK JIMI”

thread. I’ll honor the great advice by following it as well as I’m able.

Peace!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I had an opposite reaction recently that I thought was worth mentioning.

Someone I have met a few times in a work capacity remarked that I always seem so organised so when she sees me doing things that are clearly ADD she is really surprised. Yet every time I’ve met her I’ve done something so completely ADD that her comment took me by surprise.

By that I include – breaking my pen and getting ink all over my blouse, leaving the blouse soaking in the hotel sink and going home without it, leaving my coat at another venue and going home without that, losing my paperwork, leaving my stuff in someone else’s car boot because I’d parked in the wrong place and had to walk a mile to get back to my car etc etc!

I think maybe what she’s seeing as ‘organised’ is me working very fast, dashing around with a serious look on my face (thinking, ‘where the hell am I supposed to be right now?’ probably!)

Whatever it is, I like it and I’m glad she sees me like that as it’s a refreshing first for me!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Robbo

No wories about calling me ‘brother’. I reckon it doesn’t matter either way – brother, sister – all the same to kindred spirits. I like motorbikes and rock music some days and Mozart and flowers on others. But so do you. You mentioned your motorbike accident in a different post Robbo. A really crap thing to have happened but you seem pretty brave about it. That made me think since most of my motoring mishaps have been on my bike. Guess they are dangerous but I like the thrill. I did buy myself a very small car to limit my speedy tendencies. You must feel really p****d off about it. Anyway brother, is your new avatar you? If so you’re a nice looking bloke so have confidence with your lady friend.

I know what you mean by the chase being good. That is where the thrill is, the anticipation and the challenge. The reality is often tedious but I am a bit of a cynic. I am a romantic at heart but not sure I like the idea of committment! Just a coward really but I envy those that have found their soul mate.

Tiddler – sometimes one can compensate for the ADD by being hyper organised. Maybe that is what your friend sees?

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I wish that was true, Scattybird! I’m the least organised person out of everyone I’ve ever met!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Haha – but you obviously don’t show it Tiddler so that’s good! Some people at work think I am organised but they don’t see the long hours involved in trying to get something done! Your third paragraph made me laugh in your last post.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks Scatty, sis/bro.

Kindred Spirit sounds the best.

Bikes are great, I don’t trip on it much. ADHD has made dealing with it a bit harder. But this ADD mind of mine can be my worst enemy. I’m getting better at dealing with it too. If I had to choose, I’d rather be paralyzed than have ADHD. No lie.

Because of this web site, n the places it’s led me. I can deal with both fairly well now. But that can change just like the weather. “when you’re traveling at the speed of light, don’t trip” I think I made that up. But I’ll bet some famous person already said it.

I think we’re all capable of being very organized. For me, it seems I’ve always been much better at keeping organized at work. Even managed a handful of times in restaurants. First a pizza place, later I was a sues chef. There’s a clear difference between how organized I can be at home and at work. I’ve been fired for being late. Fired for having too quick of a temper when I was 19 and became assistant Mgr. at a Togo’s (excellent sandwich shop). Later when I managed a pizza place. I did great. Accept for the paperwork. I got in trouble with the Bank because my bank deposits were wrong more than just a couple times. So I can’t count. But I could keep the place “looking” organized, neat n clean. The inside of my brain is a different story.

My apartment is sanitary, clean. But very cluttered. Sometimes it gets very organized n I’m in heaven for a short time. Then I start forgetting to put stuff away when I’m finished… it stacks up… mizery begins to snowball… you guys know the rest of that continuing saga.

Junk mail… Crap!, don’t get me started huh?

>>> I think maybe what she’s seeing as ‘organised’ is me working very fast, dashing around with a serious look on my face (thinking, ‘where the hell am I supposed to be right now?’ probably!) <<<< We kinda “look” organized when we’re in that sorta hyperfocused, desperately keeping from looking as confused are we actually are mode. I dunno. Maybe that’s just my perspective. We can sometimes forget to give ourselves a break. Or even some credit!. You deserve some Credit Tidler, I betcha that’s all your co-worker was doing. :o)

Here’s a pat on the back,

***Pat Pat Pat*** Good Job!!!

OOps almost forgot.

Yep, that’s me. My “deep thoughts” pose, ***snicker** it was my lady friends idea. We had fun. (not the “new” lady friend, good friend though)

11:56 pm 2/21/12 pst

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Robbo

Your comment above “If I had to choose, I’d rather be paralyzed than have ADHD. No lie” is a really powerful thing to say. I am surprised, but I can’t imagine being paralyzed. To me that would be so difficult – respect to you Robbo!

I guess ADD is just who I am so I have got used to it. On saying that I am still getting used to the diagnosis. Think I am going throught the denial stage but not really because I wouldn’t like to be without my meds now. Maybe I am lucky because I don’t have it really bad but it’s bad enough.

I am lucky where I work too because I can get away with being late so as long as I make up the time it’s usually OK. I almost got into serious trouble for losing my temper at work but fortunately the knives came down on the other person first. Lucky escape!!

I guess if I had to deal with something else big in my life the ADD would make it very hard.

Anyway….. They are the cards we have so we need to play the best hand we can. I wouldn’t put any bets on my hand though!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A perfect stranger knew just by looking at me…

Yes, I get that. I had a teaching colleague who I had crossed paths with maybe just twice in a one year period (I taught 1st grade, she taught 8th grade on a staff of 65 teachers). She pulled me aside and wanted to know if she could ask me a personal question. Sure, no problem. I was sure she was going to ask me how I had lost weight.

No, she wanted to know if I had gone on a med for ADHD and what was its name. Apparently, she first met me unmedicated and noticed the dramatic change on the post-med me. Her meds weren`t working anymore and she was hoping I had the name of a new wonder drug she could ask her doctor to put her on.

BTW, my meds didnt cause me to lose any weight and havent affected my appetite at all. Drat!

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I think I’m still in a little denial about finding out the medication my doctor decided to let my try is not covered. And I can’t afford it. I’m a little freaked but didn’t have my hopes up.

Thanks for the compliment. Sitting down all the time was the hardest part. But don’t get me started… ACK! (I wrote a long post, but it’s camping on my desktop. May never get posted.

I need to focus on positives. I do very much appreciate the encouragement. It is true too. ADHD is a fate I’m still not sure I’ve fully accepted. Much worst than getting hit by a truck from behind while sitting on a bike at a red light. (flying 97 feet) I got my shoulders, my arms n hands. Anyone wanna trade brains? lol.

worse things have happened.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Wow zsazsa, that really made me stop and think. I wonder how much others judge me n how many times they are right. How many times they are wrong? I like it when people are honest with me. Sounds like you have a great teaching colleague. I’ve had a lot of experience with people being very wrong about me. The thing that gives me pause is the fact that most people don’t actually tell us what they see. Or even worse, talk about us assuming they are right about us when they’re not. I need to be careful with all the fears running around in my head.

It’s so dang obvious with most of us when we’re hyper, but more often than not, painfully misunderstood. I sometimes find out about gossip that goes around about me and it really sucks. It’s great when people have a good experience though, you’ve given me some hope. I need to figure out some other solution to my newest curve ball, the meds I can’t afford. It’s out there.

I’m “out there”, lot’s of us are “out there” on our way back though.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It wasn’t a perfect stranger but a few of my coworkers were surprised I’d not been diagnosed until last year. When I told the one guy he was like: it’s about f-ing time. (sorry for swearing) I’m much calmer now on the meds and have done much better on our yearly tests so far at work. Not perfect but better.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Quote : “Somebody once asked me if I were on speed. When I said “no,” she seemed surprised: “Are you sure? Then what ARE you on?”

I’m inattentive type, but when I hyper focus….. I had a couple of new electrical apprentices ask me that when I was showing them how to wire residential. Although I have mainly run large projects, I still love to rough in (electrical) new residential apartments and condos. I get totally hyper focused. It’s very fast work and to be efficient, you need have the whole thing planned out in your head. I even plan where I am going to place the ladder each time I move it, so I can minimize ladder moves and maximize the number of operations each time I go up it. Anyway, I had forgotten the two apprentices watching and was completely in the zone, When I remembered they were there and I stopped, one of them just said “are you on drugs or something”. This was long before I knew I was ADD.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)