Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

About the Toronto ADD Workshop…

About the Toronto ADD Workshop…2010-02-28T12:57:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other About the Toronto ADD Workshop…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ADDled

Wow!

Who knew that learning about a disability could be this much fun? I want the thank Rick, Patrick and Dr. J for the extreme effort required for this seminar. As we all know well enough, having ADD impairs our executive functioning, but after seeing yesterday’s presentation, I can appreciate the obstacles that had to be overcome to put on a three hour show. That would be a daunting task (I think) for a non ADDer on it’s own merit.

I thought I knew a lot about ADD before, but now I know a lot more.

For those of us on the forum, I was hoping for an opportunity to meet with all of you. I guess the lack of executive functioning stopped us from organizing a meet and greet after the show…..

It was good to be in a place with that many non-judgemental people and to actually put faces on my fellow travellers.

To Rick, Patrick and Dr J.: thank you, thank you and thank you

REPORT ABUSE

allovertheplace

I agree. It was great! The best feeling was walking out afterwards and not feeling like my ADD was anything to be ashamed about. How awesome!!!! Thank you so much for doing this work and sharing your experiences; it is making a huge difference in my life.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

You are welcome!

Ah yes, the lack of shame! Liberating, isn’t it?

What did other people think?

What did you get out of it?

What was the most valuable part of the workshop?

Were there sections that made more of a difference?

Other sections that you could have done without?

Stuff you wished we’d covered?

I can tell you, we have already set up a number of workshops with small groups in the next few months, which will be posted under the events page, but we’re going to be doing this again at the Science Centre as soon as we can arrange it.

Jennifer told me that after we sold out there were people outside the theatre in tears, because they couldn’t get in. I know we tend to do things last minute, but please, book early. If we see it’s going to be sold out, we can add a second workshop.

R

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

First and foremost, thank you! It is so difficult to access useful information about adult ADHD and now you are addressing this whole situation.

Re:The emotional Journey…

This isn’t a journey, its an out-of-control roller coaster ride which speeds up, slows down, spins you off the tracks and then settles into a pleasant ride, all without any warning. What I really appreciated were Rick’s very thoughtful comments about moving past the self-damning that follows the diagnosis. I have lately been asking myself, will I ever stop attoning for my sins? So far, that was always answered with a, “no”. I will be attoning forever. Now perhaps, that can change.

I have just recently started anger management work with a therapist and something good came out of the very first session. We were talking about core values and I pointed out that I didn’t think I had any (growing up with an undiagnosed adhd mother who had suffered other issues, too, was not fun). He responded to the contrary. He pointed out how I loved and valued being creative, experiencing and encouraging discovery and exploration…. very positive attributes. I had done these all my life but never thought of them that way. It was a big move forward for me – and it came in a way that helped in a gentle, easily-digested way. To say that I will be continuing with this work would be an understatement.

My point in offering all of this? Even at my advanced age (almost 60) I am appreciating learning more about myself so that I may life the rest of my life with a better, happier, more positive sense of myself. It doesn’t mean the adhd will go away – it is mine for life. And in some ways I like that – I call it “An extraordinary gift that exacts an excrutiating cost.” So – we learn to deal with the cost and love the benefits. The roller coaster does not have to run forever. I haven’t found that on-off switch yet, but I am getting closer to an alternative – the on -slow down switch. Hey, its a start!

cheers, and thanks again for doing all of this.

Peter

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had already posted this on the “I just found out …. ” forum, but I think maybe it belongs here…….

Well……I’m STARTING to feel understood. I read Rick’s article in the Star on Friday, and going through some of his life stories and anecdotes, I realized, OMG, that sounds so much like me!! I went to the seminar at the Science Center and it was a revelation. I realized that so many of these problems and feelings that I had have a cause, and better yet, a treatment.

I’ve struggled with jobs all my life, never lasting at one for long, and never really succeeding. I know I’m smarter and better at many things than some of my much more successful peers when I can focus, but I can only maintain that for a few months or a year or so and then I lose interest. I’m now out of work again, and having difficulty finding something because my resume is all over the place, even with a professional degree and 20+ years of work experience. I have no major assets, no savings, and no retirement plan. My personal life is also a mess as I have had many problems maintaining relationships and friendships. My GF, God love her, is at the end of her rope because she just can’t understand some of the things I do.

I have so much more hope after this weekend because now I can see a way out, a plan, a goal.

The thing that amazes me is that it’s taken this long to make this discovery. I’m 48, have seen many psychologists, made a few therapists rich, been treated for clinical depression, and NOT ONE of these professionals have ever suggested my being tested for ADD. The little I’ve read so far makes me sure that I am of the inattentive sub-type, almost all of the classic signs are there.

I’ve called my GP today for a referral for an ADD test. Despite the frustration of realizing that the 30+ years of struggling and failure didn’t have to be, I feel a kind of giddy excitement at the thought of being able to actually live up to my potential. :)

I have to thank Rick, Dr, J, Patrick, and everyone involved with the seminar and this site for finally getting me started on the right track. You all rock!

Cheers

Griff

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Hi, Rick!

I want know how the heck Steve Smith put up with you two guys while working on the “The Red Green Show”?

Seriously though, from what I have read ADD people have a higher level of intelligence than most of the population. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people with ADD score higher than average intelligence. I think something like that could boost our self esteem because we need all the help we can get with that.

It was very helpful when you spoke about your personal experiences and solutions in dealing with ADD. You can read all the self-help books in the world, but if you can’t frame it in such a way to make it work for you, you’re really no further ahead. But by listening to a real, live ADDer who has overcome some of the obstacles we all face makes all the difference, I think.

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

It’s an interesting question about intelligence.

I’ve read that 50% of Gifted Kids have ADHD. Which of course brings up the ongoing debate as to whether it’s abnormal and a disorder or just part of the human spectrum. But when you look at statistics like people with ADHD are Nine Times more likely to end up in jail compared to their non-ADHD peers, it sure seems like a disorder. We can’t even do crime properly!

Of course, as I say in my Rant about Statistics, just cause 50% of Gifted kids have ADHD that doesn’t mean 50% of ADHD kids are Gifted.

It doesn’t work that way. Like, just because 1 out of thirty players on the Pittsburgh Penguins are named Sydney, doesn’t mean that one out of every thirty people named Sydney play for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

And your comment about reading and learning, but not making the changes, is a good one. At the start I read every book I could, which was good, but I did very few of the recommended practices. All the information in the world is useful, but at some point what’s going to make a real difference is designating a place for your keys, wallet and phone. Then starting to exercise. Getting one agenda and using it. And so on.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great site, and information. But I recieved in an e-mail that there was going to be a fundraiser in Calgary:

Calgary Learning Centre Fundraiser

Thursday, March 25th

Calgary, Alberta

More details coming soon!

What happened to this? I was hoping I would get to see and chat with others like myself, but it seems that this has been cancelled, is this correct?

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

Great news! We are doing another workshop at the Science Centre. It’s a repeat (With changes and additions) of the last event. For those who missed it, or were there and wished they’d brought everyone they know, mark it on your calendar. And to get the good price break, book now. It’s on the EVENTS page.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just have to say that that video you posted on your workshop thing is great but frustrating at the same time. I feel and live all those things…Need for excitement, never get anything done, been told I’ve had amazing potential that is definitely unfulfilled, terrible financial mess, lots on the go…nothing fully finished, grand ideas, take risks (usually impulsively), gift of the gab, no savings! etc. It’s frustrating to watch because I think will this ever end??? There are people out here going through the same struggles who have been going through this for many years as well, some older then me. I’m looking forward to going to these workshops and thank you for creating such an honest video. I look forward to feeling more grounded, at ease, and less frustrated in my life!!!! I’m generally floating outside my body, not fully present, wishing I was somewhere else. Or wishing this would all just go away. This site is such a great addition to my life and I feel so grateful. Have a great week everyone!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Donna Jean

Carpool

Does anyone do any carpooling to these events? I live in Guelph and I do not drive but I would pay for gas if I anyone was interested.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)