Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD Heredity

ADD Heredity2011-09-29T20:43:24+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

After my third son and then myself were diagnosed with ADD, I started comparing the differences between members of my blood kin with the disorder and those without. The first and most obvious was that it is inherited, and passes from the father to roughly half his sons. Second is that we have only about one daughter for every four boys; I have five sons and one girl; my dad had four sons and one daughter; my grandfather had three sons, no daughters, and his father had five sons and two daughters. Third is that their daughters almost all exhibit mental illnesses. My only sister is paranoid schizophrenic and my only daughter has SEVERE bi-polar disorder with violent outbursts. At least one of my grandfather’s sisters was committed to a psychiatric hospital, where she later died. Has anyone else noticed this sort of trend?

REPORT ABUSE

billd

That it’s hereditary is already pretty well established, even the doctors look for that when diagnosing – at least for me, they asked about kids and parents. The co-morbidity is also pretty well establishes, and again, with me, they have been testing for all these other things, too.

In my case –

My mother exhibited symptoms of ADHD as long as I’ve known her, AND was hospitalized for depression. My mother now has severe memory issues, but the doctors say it is *NOT Alzheimer’s*.

Her brother is a patient at a care facility – diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Their father, my grandfather, lived life FAST. They moved a LOT – Grandmother finally just left the dishes and such packed as she knew they’d be moving again soon. their final home they did stay in for several years, but I suspect lack of money forced that – they were very poor. He died at about 56, the doctors said he had the body of an 80 year old. He was a horse trader of sorts – and kept “stuff”. (VERY heavy smoker, too)

I have two sons – one has some symptoms, but is not ADHD – in fact, he’s moving VERY fast up the corporate ladder at one of the largest media companies in the country. He’s an idea person, artistic and has a degree in graphic design, minoring in marketing.

My other son is VERY ADHD and has had several other “problems”, addiction to girls, relationship issues, and is VERY VERY clever, so smart and clever, it’s cost him his ability to return to this country. A couple of agencies here would love to know how he accomplished certain things. He’s a brilliant scammer and con artist, second to none. when on ADHD meds, he’s level-headed and a good thinker and really great guy, nice as can be, a bit charming.

When he was young, his “stories” had no end, and when he started one topic, 45 minutes later he was still talking, and had changed topics a dozen times at least. But his stories did keep you listening.

Then there’s me in the middle………. VERY VERY ADHD, combined sub-type.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of my ADD sons is a scammer, too. In fact he is a sociopath and, unusually for a ADD,

has no conscience at all. We are all combined subtype, also.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

His brother has called him a sociopath. I guess I never really thought of him that way, but there is a pattern.

Luckily, he’s kind to small animals, loves cats and dogs, etc. I’d REALLY be upset otherwise.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My scammer son is the same way; he loves animals and small children and they him, but has done amazingly evil things to others and shows no remorse whatsoever.

REPORT ABUSE

nanaimo

I linked this video in another thread but I think both of you will find it very interesting:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3d1SwUXMc0

15 minutes into the lecture he talks about the difference between ADHD and ADHD combined with ODD. In short, it’s a very bad combination and 1 in 5 children with both will in fact be clinically psychopathic.

45 minutes in, he talks about ADHD, heritability and genetics in a good amount of detail.

I hope you find it helpful!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)