Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD only exists in America…Former employer, Russian..

ADD only exists in America…Former employer, Russian..2011-04-07T23:19:35+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Most Hostile/Ignorant Thing I've Heard ADD only exists in America…Former employer, Russian..

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quite an ignorant comment from such a talented engineer and company owner.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

What a curious comment.

From an introduction to “A qualitative study of Australian GPs’ attitudes and practices in the diagnosis and management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).” Authors: K Shaw, I Wagnera, H Eastwood, and G Mitchell

“Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a behavioural syndrome where inattention and/or hyperactivity impair social, academic or occupational function. Although the aetiology is still largely unknown, there is less evidence to support social and environmental causes than those that are neurobiological or neurodevelopmental in nature. Genetic factors, neurotransmitter abnormalities, cerebral glucose metabolism anomalies and frontal lobe abnormalities have all been implicated as possible causes of ADHD.

Estimates of the prevalence of the disorder vary according to the sample population’s location, age and gender distribution, and the diagnostic criteria used to assess ADHD in different countries. Worldwide prevalence is estimated to be between 1.7 and 6.7%. The disorder is 4–9 times more common in boys than girls. Approximately 65.0% of these children will have one or more co-morbid psychiatric or disruptive behavioural disorder. If left untreated, the long-term prognosis is poor. Manuzza et al. described an 11-fold increase in ongoing ADHD symptoms, a 9-fold increase in antisocial personality disorder and criminal detention, and a 4-fold increase in the rate of drug abuse in unmedicated sufferers compared with medicated controls.

In many countries, the importance of primary care involvement with ADHD is increasing due to the rising numbers of patients who present with the disorder. (Various references redacted)

So Australians see it. And it appears a few Canadians do, as well. Ironically, I know a Ukrainian family that suffers terribly from it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, we also know what they say about homosexuality in Iran.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I heard the same stupid comment from a German (referring to it as an in-fashion fad disorder) . I compared it to the acceptance of alcoholism as a “real” disease and told him that maybe it is just being treated more honestly in America.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A recent Romanian arrival told me that she had never heard of so many people with cancer until she moved here to Canada. They just DIDN’T have cases of cancer back home in Romania (she told me this 10 years ago when she had just arrived here). Really? Cancer a rarity over there? Ah, yeah.

Same thing with ADD. Ah, yeah. *sighs*

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I´m new here in the Forum and my english is not the best. 😳

But I will give my best :-)

It is hard to have ADD in Germany. There are so many children and adults with ADD in Germany.

If you don´t belive me, visit the german ADD Forum for adults : www. adhs-chaoten.de

The Forum helped me a lot. My sun and my daughter are ADDers and since one monthe I have my own diagnosis

of ADD.

In germany a lot of people never heard about ADD bevore.

Anyway they heard about ritalin, and it is like you talk about illegal drugs.

The other problem for us in germany is, that you never talking about psychological problems in the public.

I working as a nursery nurse and I can see it daily how many “difficult” children are in the groups.

On this saturday I start my professional development to become a learningtherapist.

I dont belive that there exists a place in the world without ADD.

Regards from munich, germany

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)