Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADDeep Sleep Question: Audiobooks and eBooks acceptable?

ADDeep Sleep Question: Audiobooks and eBooks acceptable?2013-07-04T13:06:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community ADDeep Sleep Question: Audiobooks and eBooks acceptable?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Grant Crowell

I have a question about the TotallyADDeep Sleep video I purchased. For the tips, Dr. Umesh Jain (sp?) says to shut of all electronic devices 1 hour before sleep; and to read a book if I need something to do and help tire the brain. So, what about e-books on a tablet device or audio books? Is that an exception? Obviously that’s what most people already have. I happen to have a lot of Kindle books on my iPad/iPhone, and a good number of podcasts and audiobooks.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

To my shame I haven’t watched the sleep video yet……but I guess it’s to do with the visual aspects of the computer. So a back-lit display is bad because it triggers brain chemicals that say “don’t sleep”. So a Kindle is better for bed-time reading than an iPod (which is back lit).

Computer games are extra bad because you have the back lit stuff going on with stimulation too.

Audio books are good. I listen to one at bed time and set the timer to switch it off after a specific time.

Of course all this might be complete do doos ……just what I think……

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Grantastic, I think it’s more to do with the blue-tinted light on electronic display screens stopping your brain from producing melatonin.  So I’d lean more towards regular books.  Or audiobooks, because you can listen to them softly in the dark, and just drift off to sleep.

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve listened to recordings of radio comedies & dramas, in bed at night, to help me drift off.  Back then, it was half-hour tapes in my ghetto-blaster.  Today, it’s my choice of hundreds of shows on my docked iPod.  The docking station has a “Sleep” timer, so the iPod shuts off after an hour…though I’m usually asleep long before that!

REPORT ABUSE

Galadriel724
    Participant

I just bought a Kindle- the one that is $50 for a refurb, has no touchscreen and isn’t backlit. Mainly because I have an iphone and a laptop and am tired of using them to read. My sister has one and I like it. I need a lamp on to see the screen if it’s dark. It is about the same brightness as a paperback book.
    It is totally safe for reading in bed. I didn’t buy it for that reason, but am damn glad I have it now that I have watched the sleep video. Also, it does work on wifi, only needs to be charged once a week or so. I highly recommend it.
    I had forgetten how quickly I used to fall asleep reading.

I have wondered the same thing about the audiobooks. In my case I only have ones that are interesting enough to keep my brain busy while I do dishes and boring stuff, so I wouldn’t use them to try to go to sleep.

REPORT ABUSE

Grant Crowell

Thanks so much, everyone! I even got Rick Green to chime in on this one on his Facebook post. I’m now realizing that just having any print reading material tends to work best, and audio books are a very strong #2. I have to remember that I’m supposed to drift off to sleep first, not try to be spending the time processing so much data in my head at that time (so I can process data much better the next day!)

REPORT ABUSE

Grant Crowell

Oh yes, and a big thanks to Larynxa for her suggestions and shared experiences. I made the mistake of falling asleep with the TV on when I was a bachelor. I need to invest in a sleep timer for my own iPod device, and use it for white noise when I want to relax and read.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

iPhone free app http://www.dreamonapp.com/ records sleep patterns.  You may find it of interest.  Too lazy to write more, go to the web site to find out what their app does.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

@Galadriel724

I like Attention Talk Radio when I’m doing the boring stuff, like dishes, or any info. rich story, or talk show. Regular stories that turn on the projector in my mind make me want to jump right in the story and get involved. But they will put me to sleep if I’m laying down. Really anything that keeps my mind busy will let me fall asleep. Unless I’m sitting up. Reading works faster though.

I loved the Harry Potter series, there were many times I’d have to listen to the same CD 2 or 3 nights in a row because I fell asleep before it was over.

I started using the sleep timer on the TV, any time I turned it on. I was always getting sucked in to whatever was on, boring or not. So the second thing I do after turning on the TV is set the sleep timer. Then I change the channel after that, or surf til I find what I’m looking for. Generally it’s a half hour or an hour for the news. If it’s a show or two, I want to watch I’ll calculate the time ’til their over and set the sleep timer as close to it as I can, and still see everything.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Grantastic, if you get an iPod docking station that’s also a clock-radio, it’ll have a built-in Sleep timer.  I found a nice little iHome model, a couple of years ago, for $30 at Winners (Marshall’s).  It’s quite small and can run on batteries, making it great for travel.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Isn’t it that listening to audiobooks and other audio materials can hardly trigger sleep? My understanding is, it doesn’t in fact tire your brain but it develops bran waves to be more active and do not gives you better sleep. Besides the use of devices that release radio frequencies also not a good one for brain. Myself, I am using actual books to read instead, reading is in fact is best to develop sleep. It initially tires your eyes until your brain slowly resting. So, reading physical book is my personal preference.

Regards.
    Garry of http://www.digitekprinting.com/.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)