Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall increasing forgetfullness

Adderall increasing forgetfullness2010-12-03T02:13:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall increasing forgetfullness

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Danielle

At the beginning of the week I started taking 5 mgs of adderall twice a day for inattentive add. I’ve always been forgetful and I’ve always lost things (keys, wallet, cell phone etc) but since starting the medication the forgetfullness is different. When I go to look for my cell phone I have NO idea what I did with. Before the medication I would at least be able to back track. I am also now forgetting safety things like closing our safety gate on the stairs to keep my 8 mth safe. I’ve only done this once (since starting adderall) but now I can’t stop thinking about it. I’m so afraid I’ll forget again.

Have others taking adderrall noticed a simliar side effect? Will it decrease once my body adjusts to the medication. I almost feel like this may be a deal breaker for me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I assume you are on Adderall not Adderall XR.Are you feeling more anxious on the medication?

REPORT ABUSE

Barrister14
    Participant

I haven’t found the Adderall (starting the XR version for other reasons later this month)to cause an increase or change in my short term memory. Almost the opposite because I’ve found that I concentrate better when I first place some object somewhere or schedule some upcoming chore. So, it usually comes pretty quickly to mind when I try to recall it. Its been a Godsend to me, after so many years, to be able to actually concentrate and “stop the rollercoaster.” And I was a big skeptic of using a stimulant for ADD before I read about it, talked to my Dr. and tried it. To me, giving a stimulant to someone with ADD/ADHD would seem to adding fuel to an uncontrolled fire! But, after trying the medication, the “fire” that I would miss (really, my “creativity”) is still there but its now controlled and better directed.

REPORT ABUSE

Danielle

To Dr J: I am experiencing some heightened anxiety especially when I first take the medication and then when it starts to wear off and I am taking Adderall, not Adderal XR

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adderall goes in very fast and comes out just as fast. You might need to look at ways of dealing with the anxiety like lorazepam to chill it out. Take the two together and it can be ok. But first, you want to make sure the Adderall is actually helping. You might also want to consider going on the longer acting form, Vyvanse which is not so strong uptake in the beginning and smoother and longer.

Always speak to your doctor or before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Barrister14
    Participant

I agree with Dr. J. In my case (and that’s all I’m talking about), the instant acting Adderall does act quickly. To temper the anxiety (also diagnosed), Serax (oxazepam) was prescibed. It works for me. But my ADD/ADHD symptoms (problems) and diagnosis covers more than “inattentive add”, as you originally wrote. So, I’m not the best patient to say what works best on the medication side. It does work for me, thank goodness.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a very common combo too- Serax which is the weakest of the benzo’s and very easy on the liver.

REPORT ABUSE

Danielle

Unfortunately my body doesn’t respond well to antidepressant/anxiety type medication. I’ve tried prozac, celexa and lorazapem and all have had negative effects (increased anxiety, hostility, anger and depression). I will ask my doctor about xl at my f/u and check if its covered by insurance. I do feel the medication is working. I am managing my house better, I’m not wandering from room to room wondering where to start, my house doesn’t look like a bomb went off whenever I leave the house with kids for errands and I don’t feel as overwhelmed. I also am able to do my daily mundane tasks without obsessing over how much I DON’T want to do them…I just do them and that’s it. I feel more productive and involved. I’ve been having a really hard time holding my baby and feeding her because the second I start feeding her I feel restless and need it to be over. Since taking the medication I feel calm and focused enough where I can enjoy holding and cuddling and feeding her and it’s wonderful.

I don’t like the anxiety I feel nor do I like how I feel like “I’m on something” during these times of anxiety. I also feel like during the times I feel anxious I get a little hostile, impatient and a little sad. I’m going to stick with it for a little while because I need something to get me over this hump. My goal is to change my diet, cleanse and exercise I just haven’t been able to get to this point and I feel like adderall can help me get there.

Dr J: do you think the memory changes are due to anxiety?

I appreciate the feedback and this forum!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had taken Ritalin from 1989 to 2007, after I finished my engineering degree…God send Ritalin was! But the side affects did take a toll on my body. I saw my family doc and he was willing to work with me on trying Adderall or whatever else would work for me. Ritalin was great but Adderall was amazing. The the really negative side affects that came with the Ritalin were gone. All the positives I received from Ritalin, I got from Adderall. However, my wife does say that I am a little bit more short fused than I was on Ritalin, I say that it is my graduate advisor…haha :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As “Ajkengineer” points out, some people respond to one particular medication but “Danielle” it is clear that the anxiety is the issue. Memory can be affected by anxiety and also the benzo’s. They may cause antrograde and retrograde amnesia. But, it is really about finding the right balance. I like the fact that you are feeling more calm and focused. But the anxiety effects may be more psychological (the way you have described it). You might want to look at this through therapy. There appears to be control issues that you are dealing with that may be a throw back to your upbringing. Remember meds can’t do everything.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wait, does Adderall cause issues with REM Sleep? And if so, would that effect our memory?

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I’m now on Adderall XR (generic). Started Saturday AM – this is Monday AM.

I haven’t slept since taking it – can’t sleep. I just lay there trying hard to sleep. I might have gotten in 2 hours total since Saturday AM.

I’m getting “scared” about the impact of missing 2 nights worth of sleep.

I’d say I’m still very forgetful – but it seems that it’s easier to TRY to remember…….. I just don’t know!

I wonder – can I still drink COFFEE while taking 20mg Adderall XR generic?????????????

I have low to medium BP, SLOW heart rate at about 60 (these stats prior to taking any drugs for ADHD)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My own experience in recently trying 5mg Adderall XR in the morning and recently 10mg ( note it is still early days) is that I am having problems grabbing names from the air, and occasionally forget where I am in the middle of a conversation. I’m hoping this is a temporary side effect. It can be embarrasing – say on a first date (makes me feel old and unintelligent when I cannot recall things.) What I do know about memory however is that it can be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I have had troubles sleeping as well but feel like there are multiple factors to this. For the latter, reading before bed helps slow my mind down – as opposed to any kind of tech or TV. Also letting the Adderall run its course and staying away from caffeine after lunch helps. – This does bring up a question though – coffee feels good but tends to make my thoughts a bit more scattershot. Is caffeine something I should be looking to give up. Does it add to or take away from the effects of the Adderoll. I gather it does not work the same way medicinal stimulants do.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Correct – caffeine is a totally different animal in how it works.

I’ve been told to stay away from it after lunch, and honestly, all weekend, all I had was soda (pop) like 7Up, etc. with no caffeine, and I had NO coffee at all all weekend. So I can’t blame it on that combo.

I’d like to hear more from an expert………….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My first 3 or 4 days of 2omg Adderall XR I also had severe insomnia. I only slept a couple of hours each day. I personally recommend some benedryl before bedtime and some white noise like a fan. I’m now sleeping about 6 hours a night and some days I take a short nap too. (I get up at 3 am for work) My main symptom right now is grinding my teeth. I do it unconsciously and today pretty constantly. I’ve only been on the meds for 2 weeks so far, so I’m still adjusting.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)