Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall Questions

Adderall Questions2010-01-15T02:53:21+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Adderall Questions

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

BAM123
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive

TheBishop72 wrote….

“I’ve just been Rx’d Adderal XR 20mg/day. I’ll be interested to see the difference. One MAJOR difference I noticed immediately was the price!! $108 for 30 pills???? good Lord! Compare that with $18 for Ritalin! Yikes. “

Hi The Bishop72.

Try Costco. I was diagnosed last week, and got a 30 day suppy of Adderall XR, 10mg for $77.45

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

bishop is in canada. not many stores, there… but it wouldn’t hurt to try man.

where the heck is bishop? he hasn’t been on here in a while. :(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Veronica,

I’m in Canada too. Maybe the 20mg is more expensive than the 10mg?

All I know is that Costco is cheaper for all my family’s perscriptions, than any drug store I’ve tried.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

ALRIGHTY so, i’ve been on 20mg of adderall xr now for almost 2 months. and i need some assistance with a few more details.

at first my doc had me on it 2 x’s a day. i would take it first thing when i woke, then i would take it mid-dayish… it would last me through till i had to complete my chores for the day at home. then this last time i went they were concerned with my weight loss so he prescribed it for once a day instead.

well, hubby and i both have noticed a difference in my ability to complete tasks once i get home.

i’ve scheduled an appt to check my blood levels for any vitamin deficiencies and to talk to him about the dosage. should i ask to be bumped up to 25 or 30 mg, or ask to be placed on the twice a day thing?

i have noticed that my appetite has returned to full on EAT mode since i switched to once a day, but i’m not getting that umph factor even when i try taking it at different times of the day. or choosing to eat before i take it. or right after i take it.

i feel as though the meds fade and then i fade and just get lost in the thoughts again.

i’ve been utilizing my time goals and am still completing tasks, but it is beginning to take more effort. i can’t really tell if it’s the med’s dosage amount or number of times i’m taking it now.

does anyone share this experience?

any help would be loverly. thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adderall IR is not available in Canada only Adderall XR incidently.

I am loving the comments people are making to help you Veronica and I am waiting to hear how your story turns out.

Might want to use some type of rating scale to determine medication effect and side effect profiling, by the way, rather than a subjective feeling because after time we can’t remember baseline.

Here is a typical side effect scale:

http://www.caddra.ca/cms4/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=143&lang=en

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

Dr. J.

Adderall IR is not available in Canada only Adderall XR incidently.

I am loving the comments people are making to help you Veronica and I am waiting to hear how your story turns out.

Might want to use some type of rating scale to determine medication effect and side effect profiling, by the way, rather than a subjective feeling because after time we can’t remember baseline.

Here is a typical side effect scale:

http://www.caddra.ca/cms4/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=143&lang=en

oh man! thank you, Dr. J!! this is totally going to be helpful when i go see my doc next month for my follow-up appt.

so far, he decided to place me back on XR twice a day. so, we’ll see how that goes. he’s super concerned about my weight, so he has instructed me to get “everyone on board” with the fact that if i lose any more i’ll disappear. hahahaha. now i have the guys at work reminding me to eat and hubby and the kids remind me at home. so far, so good.

as far as the therapist. she’s nice. and helpful in getting what is ADHD, ENFP, and just a daunting of mundane tasks that everyone goes through. my next 2 goals are 1)controlling my impulsivity with money and 2) communicating and/strategizing a better way to approach me on things i’ve totally dropped the ball on (with regards to people outside of work). my hubby and family suffer when they feel they can’t approach me on things, b/c i become too sensitive. any ideas on that? perhaps i should start another thread in the forums for it.

any hoots, that’s my update so far. thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Does anyone take a break from their Adderall use. It definetly helps me – I take Adderall XR – I was prescibed 10 mill a day. I took it every day for a few months and then I switched to every other day. Now I try and take it once or twice a week tops. I function better with it but just being aware of my ADD condition helps me from getting off track a lot. I think if I took it every day during the work week it would help me be more productive but I do not like the potential prblems like HBP.

I have heard that many doctors say that Adderall is not a long tewrm solution and it should be a stepping stone to contolling symptoms with other means and should be not taking long term. Any thoughts on either long term use or taking breaks from meds thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BAM123:

I took 10 mil of XR for a few months and then 15 mil in the morning for a few months every day for about a year. LOVED IT. I got so much accomplished, slept better, waited my turn to talk… but then I discovered that it was putting little holes in my bladder (Interstitial Cystitis). VERY painful and more distracting than ADD. I don’t think the total blame was simply the length of time I took it but probably more in how I took it. I drank one cup of coffee in the morning with the med, sometimes on an empty stomach then forgot to drink more water throughout the day. I never was a big drinker of anything but my morning coffee, but if I had it to do again, I’d drink plenty of water and less or no coffee. I’m almost completely recovered and my urologist recommended Concerta, which is more “bladder friendly”. I can’t wait… I do ok with therapy and coaching and other techniques I’ve learned over the years, but the meds surely gave me the edge to achieve greater things.

Oh, I would, on occasion take a break once in awhile. I always felt that it was “still working”… I remained focused for a couple of days, but not as much as if I’d take it daily. One of the things I also like about Adderall XR is that it was an “as needed” kind of med. You don’t need to “build up”. After the IC diagnosis, I had to quit cold turkey. I had some withdrawal symptoms but not nearly as many as when I stopped drinking coffee cold turkey! Boy, was I miserable to be around… even to myself.

The only other side effects were a bit of a racing heart… but my blood pressure has always been on the lower side so it just came up to “normal”.

REPORT ABUSE

Orion

Hey all. I am considering switching to Adderall. Reason is.. I recently became unemployed and wont have insurance for a little while and need a cheaper alternative. I am currently taking Vyvanse and really love it. But it will cost $175.00 for 30 day supply without insurance !! I have heard a lot about Adderall being a close relative to Vyvanse with same base ingredients and a lot cheaper. Anyone know more about this? I’m in the states and it does appear that meds here are a lot more expensive than Canada. One thing for sure is I do not want to stop taking meds right now. I am really getting the focus and clarity from meds, that I need for job hunting. Anyone ?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Hey, Rick … you reading this?

How’s about a rant on the price of our meds?”

“(And aren’t the Americans always complaining because our meds are so much CHEAPER??? What gives?)”

– I, TOO WOULD LIKE A RANT. I PAID $394 FOR A MONTH’S SUPPLY OF ADDERALL XR. I’M IN “THE STATES.” “GENERIC WAS NOT AVAILABLE.” PLEASE. PLEASE. RANT. PLEASE. PLEASE. RANT. (ETC) HELLLOOOOO . . .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

smftwo..

$394.00 for 30 day supply of ADDERALL XR in the usa? May i ask the dosage?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

njadd- 5 mg caps/60 caps. will it cost even MORE with the dose increasing??? do you have any advise?? i think $394/mo (for my initial dose and increasing slowly) is ALOT. (right?!?) i’m not able to find anything on-line about generic. and i’m not able to find any manufacturer coupons. ANY ADVISE!!??? thanks. (i’m writing to my reps and senators next- if i can’t find the information or assistance i need!!)

REPORT ABUSE

Barrister14
    Participant

Orion, Adderall may be a good switch. Just take as prescribed. I was prescribed most everything else before, but Adderall seems to work best., including job hunting (which I’m doing too). Its probably not as good as Dexedrine but it is much, much “cleaner” feeling than Ritalin. You might lose your appetite at first (I used that time to substitute yogurt, granola, healthy stuff, all of which caused me to lose weight–that I needed, but over time your regular appetite comes back). And I’m in the states and Adderall isn’t expensive in my neck of the woods. Taken as prescribed, its pretty smooth but if you’ve got anxiety it can sometimes add to the problem. That’s why on my next psych appt. I’m going to ask for Dexedrine or Vyanase .

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

I switched from Concerta (didn’t work along with nasty side effects) to Adderall. Startign to see some improvement and have already been on the phone with Dr to start figuring out the right dosage.

I find that if I take Adderall XR when I first get up (5:30am) it really only lasts me until just after lunch time (12:30 or so). I know it is supposed to be long lasting (10-12 hrs) and have read that the higher the dose you go the longer it lasts?

Would like to see if anyone out there has taken the XR twice daily, or any other medication as a boost near the end. My only fear is the sleep aspect, however I am also on Elavil (and have been for years) which tends to make you sleepy.

It is so awesome to start to begin to see a little bit of improvement in my focus, and would love to not have to drop off in the afternoon.

I should also mention that I am in Canada and Adderall IR is not available…

Thanks so much!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)