Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Adderall & Vyvanse: Tongue soreness

Adderall & Vyvanse: Tongue soreness2012-11-05T16:54:48+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Side Effects General Adderall & Vyvanse: Tongue soreness

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took Adderall (non XR) and then tried Vyvanse.

I had side effects on both that do not seem to appear on the standard menu of side effects for these two:

-Constant tongue & mouth movement , including a tendancy to suck at the tongue

-Raw, sore tongue (probably from the sucking and mouth movement listed above) to the point that it constantly feels similar to what it feels like when you drink too hot of a liquid and scald your tongue.

-Altered sense of taste (now that one might be on the standard Side FX listing- I can’t recall) but it probably comes, again, as a result of the first Side effect in this list.

Just curious if anybody else experienced these with these particular meds as most if not all are mentioned as typical side effects of these drugs.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a former drug addict I can tell with almost 100% confidence your on too high of a dose for you. That would happen to me when I was

smoking crack or coke, or did all of my Ritalin in a 24 hour period. Try going down some and see how it works for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

This sounds like drug-induced tardive dyskinesia (wise advice from Muffin). Can I ask what dose of each you were on, and whether this only happened when you switched drugs? How long have you been on Vyvanse? Are you still getting the tongue symptoms?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry- been away for awhile (I work in a pre-press group and the holidays are always hectic).

@ bjacobson30 and Fabulous- Interestingly, I started on a 10mg twice a day dose of the Adderall. The side effects were slight but manageable BUT it had no effect on my ADHD at all. My doctor recommended bumping the dosage up to 20mg twice a day. The effect on my ADHD was phenomenal (even my wife noticed it) but then the side effects I mentioned above really kicked in. I gave it two months with the hope that the side effects might be transitory and would subside after awhile. No such luck. I asked my doctor if it would be okay if I tried splitting some of the pills and try approximately 15mg twice a day. The effect on my ADHD was so/so but the side effects persisted. I finally had to give it up. My doctor briefly put me on Vyvanse (30mg once a day) which I didn’t really want to do because of the expense (my insurance is High-Deductable that only pays a co-pay after the deductable is met- in other words- it SUCKS!) but after a week, I began to develop the same problems I had with the Adderall so I had to give it up as well (my son takes Vyvanse and has had great results with it and no problems-lucky for him).
    I should also note that as a child I took Ritalin (because that’s all there was in the ‘Cave Days’ of ADHD treatment). I developed serious problems with a blinking/breathing tic on that med (I don’t know what dosage I was taking then).
    Based on this, my doctor and I have come to the conclusion that I just cannot physically handle stimulant drugs.
    Tried Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion) at a couple of different dosages. Lower dosage (175mg 1xday) was useless. We bumped it up to 300mg 1 x day and after a month of taking Bupropion, I saw no improvement in my ADHD but my tinnitus went crazy (a known side effect) so my doctor is easing me off Bupropion at this time (you can’t just stop taking it ‘cold turkey’).
    We were going to try Straterra but my eyes nearly popped out of my head when the Pharmacist told me how much it was going to cost (even taking it for a year, still would not meet my deductable- yeah my insurance is THAT bad).

I liked the effect that the stimulants had on my ADHD itself- but I can’t take them.

I feel as if I am at the end of my pharmaceutical rope.

Anybody else here have a similar story. Did you ever find anything that really worked?

I’m wondering if re-introducing a much lower dosage of a stimulant such as Adderall and taking a med such as Clonidine or Guanfacine might work? Have there been any studies on that type of therapy?

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Have you tried Concerta?

While it is a stimulant (methylphenidate, the same as in Ritalin), it’s  in a unique, osmotic delivery system that gradually ramps up the dose over several hours, instead of giving it to you all at once, and then slowly fades it away.

Its manufacturer also has a Patient Assistance Plan, to pay the difference between what your insurance pays (if any).  It’s free to join.  Just ask your pharmacist about it.  Thanks to my insurance, and this Plan, my Concerta doesn’t cost me a thing.

Given your extreme sensitivity to stimulants, your doctor might want to start you on the lowest possible dose, and then move up to the second-lowest dose.  The aim is to find the lowest dose that works for you.

Of course, this is just a thought.  You should discuss it with your doctor and pharmacist!

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

I take 5 mg of Focalin XR once a day. I don’t know the cost, although I’m about to find out because I’ve shifted to a deductible-based insurance too (yuck). When needed, I take a 2.5 mg “Focalin” (non-XR), which is generic and pretty cheap, I think. I experimented with 10 mg “Focalin” (non-XR generic) and it gave me a lot of dry mouth and some jittery hyper feeling.

Stimulants may not be for you, but there are a lot of differences between each type. Having experimented with both the XR and non-XR versions of Focalin (also tried Vyvanse), for me there was a big improvement with the XR.

I haven’t tried Concerta, but if you can get a discount, I’d say give it a whirl.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Adderall is dehydrating. That could be why you have issues with your tongue. Definitely drink tons of water while taking it.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Anti-depressants are also very dehydrating, especially because some of them really make you sweat.

REPORT ABUSE

craigs

I have had the same experience on Dexadrine and Concerta.  My perception is that the medication is magnifying a tendancy to mouth fidgit.  I guess rather than tapping toes, fidgiting on chairs some of us grind our teeth and suck on our tongues.

REPORT ABUSE

jlee3

I tried Vyvanse at a low dose earlier this year and about a six-eight weeks in, I had a tongue inflammation after a spicy dish that lasted for more than a month, and it took a while before I finally attributed it to the vyvanse.  Mostly because I did not want to believe that the solution to my ADD and my inability to focus, might be the cause of such a painful issue. I lost sleep, I lost my appetite, I became moody.   I switched to low dose Concerta about a month ago and am now having the same problems.  The symptoms seem to be any combination of the following at any time: super sensitivity to spicy foods, slight swelling, irritated buds, dry mouth, burning mouth, and funny taste in my mouth.  Oral hygiene is not  pleasant during this, but afterwards the tongue issue is slightly better since the teeth are clean.  I find myself moving my tongue incessantly – but I am attributing that to the irritation more than anything else.  I am going to back college and taking a heavy load so my big concern is which is worse: – the tongue irritation or the inability to focus?  I honestly cannot answer that question and I am regretting signing up for this semester without getting this solved first.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I suck on my tongue all the time while on Vyvanse. I end up getting a serrated tongue! Looks neat! But it does hurt. If im really focusing I suck on my tongue even more. Gum solved it! I chew sugar free gum all the time. Plus my mouth always gets super dry as another side effect of the med… gum helps that too! I have lowered my dose and find I still suck on my tongue. Ah well.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I just have to say it is possible to quit Bupropion ‘cold turkey’. I do it all the time when I forget to take my meds for a few days, or weeks. The only time I ever notice it really working is when I start it again and get a rush for the first couple of days.  As for helping with the ADD though, it sucks. I spend half my day just trying to get focused and the other half trying to remember what I wanted to focus on.

I haven’t had experience with any of these other ones. My doctor is old school and Ritalin is all he knows. And then he just up and decided to take me off of it because one time I said I wasn’t sure how much of a difference it was making. Never tried to adjust the dosage or anything. Just cut me off.  And now won’t give me anything.

REPORT ABUSE

djchad818

Your answer is Nadolol, 20mg/day, as an adjunct to the Adderall/Vyvanse. Nadolol is a beta blocker, generally used in higher doses to treat hypertension. It tones down the side effects of the stimulants. I should think someone besides me has done this.

REPORT ABUSE

betterlife

I have only been using vyvanse sinse this past summer. I was diagnosed with ADD. I just started having this terrible side effect about 2 months ago. I am to the point I cant sleep and I am extremely irritated due to the pain. I am hungry but it hurts so bad to eat. My dr is wanting me to see if it goes away by stopping vyvanse. For years I have been so depressed and sinse I started vyvanse I finally feel normal. What other options will I have? I cant go back feeling the way I used to.

REPORT ABUSE

arnezi

Hi, since I’ve been taking Vyvanse I’ve been getting sores on my tongue as well. I think It might be dehydration, or an allergy but the pain is unbearable. I started putting a table spoon of coconut oil in my mouth and swishing it for about 10 minutes and it takes the pain completely away. I do this 2 times aday. But the sores do not go away until I stop taking it.. Any advice..

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)