Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD Convention?

ADHD Convention?2011-02-21T22:37:33+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other ADHD Convention?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

(move this if need be)

I’v had an inspiration. Can we have an ADHD convention? Smaller ones for each state/province in Canada and USA. Larger ones for the USA or Canada , locations like Vegas or Central Coast of CA, USA, a paradise as some locals and non-locals call it. ;)

It would be fun having group of us talking in circle at our usual lightning speed, all of us able to keep up with one another. A large number of us all in one place that would be really interesting. Learn the latest treatments, coping strategies, lectures, workshops, and many other events to attend in our style of learning. Singles and couples events to attend. We’ll need low cost entry fees, since lots of us aren’t in good financial shape. Meeting online is good, but in-person can be better.

Anyone else want to explore the idea? I’v not heard anything about this kind of event in the USA.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

most of us would be a day late and a dollar short but other then that it would be great and a lot of fun . mybe when they get the live chat up and running then we can do it with a web cam. look at me talking about stuff I know nothing about except the buz words. lol.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m in Toronto Ontario Canada and would love to attend!

Even just a meetup to sit around and yak!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

That is a great idea. Id be happy with a small support group in Bellevue, WA for the short term.

I also got a good laugh as I thought about 50K ADD/ADHD peeps in one place with all of our timers going off, and our phone reminders talking to us. and how insane the wait staff would be at the end of three days of herding us cats.

BTW, I’d be one of the first to sign up.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

An adhd convention would be great!! I like the idea of smaller ones as well as big ones. I also like the low-cost idea!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

>how insane the wait staff would be at the end of three days of herding us cats.

We would drive them crazy. Wouldn’t we? :D Imagine it, an audience nearly all ADHD. Seeing us trying to sit through a lecture. Seeing all of us zipping from booth to booth at light speed. A group of ADHD persons, conversation going at warp. ADHD people all standing in line. It would be an amazing experience and really funny to see ourselves mirrored. Also, we have to take into account our ADHD for any activities. The traditional activities at conventions would have be structured differently.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it is a great idea!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a lovely idea with one fatal flaw: Someone has to organize it.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Yeah but it wouldn’t matter if it was totally disorganized since half the people would be late, god knows how many would forget to show up, and pretty well everyone will have forgotten the agenda back in their hotel room. Not to mention our memory issues would have us saying “when was I at a convention?” anyway by two days after it was over :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL, this is hysterical! GREAT idea!!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

>This is a lovely idea with one fatal flaw: Someone has to organize it.

Letting an ADHD person structure it would be a bad idea. However, a group of ADHD for the creative ideas would be great. They come up with the more unconventional ideas. Then let the “normal” people structure it according to our strengths and weakness. As to being late, it’s in our nature so we have to work with that, making a more loose schedule. Like I said, a traditional convention won’t work. Making sure people get there, lots of reminders in email and other ways up to the day of the event.

Also, I watched the PBS video, how I found this site. I was laughing at mirror image of myself. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have organizied things I get hyper focused and get the job done at speed… If I like the idea I put on an artshow and plus I was in Judo and we had to do fun raising…. We don’t need to tell normal people that we can’t do it… I think it would be great with the compter everything is easier to arrange….. Each group can do a start up fund for this… Plus We can make it fun… We got all the information we need with the smaller groups about our systems and work things out there …Then have a weekend convetion and have a dance stand up comic’s we wouldn’t last listening to someone telling us what our systems and life stragies…. That wouldn’t work……

1… The one topic that would be good is job creations. Being our own Boss’s

2… A dance one evening stand up comedian fun stuff,Plus there are alot of people on this site that can play and have one huge jam seccion…that is what people do around here. I know people plus we would get people that do it for free because they want the pactice of playing for an aduince.

3….And visit the surrounding area’s that you visit with a charter bus…

4…. Get a few people to speak that do have ADHD and what they did to over come the opticals

5…. You look at what is going on during that weekend in your area and have free events we have alot here in Nova Scotia…

6… You have the blue festival that is held at the water front The tall ships that come

Alot can be free… We have to stop looking at our selves has faliure’s… We are not….

Each place would hold a convention and if your book in advance you can get things cheaper…

I know we could work at putting ones on in different place’s and we could validate that we can do this and being with people that are up for fun it would be a blast…. how about the first one here in Halifax Nova Scotia ….. In 2012 in the summer….

There is ways of free adiverstiments… Between face book creating awarness about ADHD in Adults…. Maybe it would make the puplic more aware….I know I can do a thing on Job creation….But we will show up because it will be fun… I got the Dr’s appointment mix up it was a week later I showed up… But never for got to show up to a good time music and having fun…Anything I was truly interested in Never forgot…. But it needs to be fun most of us have a rough life and few freinds.. It would be nice to be with people that thought like you.. Give me your thoughts on this we can just start out small and see how it goes… But I know I can do this…. I have done this in the past and I like things to be good and cheap… I can hold a fund raise with the arts I know alot of artist that might donate a piece of work and have a action on it….. There are many ways to raise money….let me know what you think, Clamdigger

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I made some sentence stucture mistake But I was running low on my battery and didn’t have enough time to reread my stuff..that I wrote…Clamdigger

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Love the idea… Networking and meeting people like me that do not think Im lazy or stupid!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

We all know what need in a convention. I suppose it should be run by ADHD people with great skills in organizing. As long as we cross check one another and make sure things get done. Don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m great at flying by the seat of my pants, improvising. I’v been planning to goto the improv in LA do the comedy routine I have. So, this would be good place also to try it out. Live theater also comes to mind for an event.

In addition, after all the educational stuff is done, lets have some fun as a reward! I was thinking have a video gaming contest, maybe some door prizes. Use one of those giant screens to see us gaming. I love to try a co-op on a level for Crysis, Oblivion live, and others with some fellow ADHD. By our nature, were really good at video games.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)