Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADHD, working memory, and words. A battleground.

ADHD, working memory, and words. A battleground.2011-09-11T09:11:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? ADHD, working memory, and words. A battleground.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I struggle with recalling words and it’s infuriatingly difficult. Often, I shy away from conversations because I know inevitably I’ll hit that point when I want to express a thought- the thought is there as well as the specific word I want to use – but fail because I hit that familiar mental block. My mind will go totally blank and I can’t seem to recall anything: names, dates, titles to books, an author’s name, a specific word I’m sure I know, but can’t access…. This has been a source of depression for most of my teenage and all of my adult life. This inability to recall what I know is in my mind prevents me from creating meaningful relationships and I am insecure because of it. I fear my inability to keep up in conversations; I’m insecure and terrified by the fact that I can’t always contribute intelligently to a conversation or discussion because I won’t remember/recall the article/book/song/lesson/name/place/event/etc. I read about or learned somehow, not long ago.

A feeling of anxiety and heat begins to travel down my body when I’m in these situations; I feel prickly all over. It’s as if my mind has been put on pause. Pressure builds in the space between my eyes, and I feel removed from myself slightly. Inside I’m praying something will give and magically click back into place, opening the mental dam again. It never happens that way, though.

I’m sure what I’ve described are symptoms of social anxiety that are brought on by my trouble with working memory.

I struggle in the area I love the most. Language.

I want to write, but can’t. I look onto the page or screen and my mind goes blank. I begin a line and my mind goes blank. Somehow, against the odds, I’m off to a decent start– then my mind goes blank. I struggle accessing my vocabulary and allowing the words to emerge. Fluidity is an issue as well. Concerning writing, nothing feels fluid to me. My memory does not allow it. It is absolutely line-by-line and word-by-word; Love turns into resentment.

I’ve put a lot of emphasis on words in particular, but my sentiment goes beyond words alone. This concerns every aspect of my working memory. From reading to remembering to storing to recalling and everything else. For me, however, words are important and near to my heart so I’ve given them the most attention here.

I would like to know two things from this community:

1. Does anyone struggle in this way, and if so, please share your thoughts.

2. Has medication helped your working memory?

Thanks,

Nathan

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Working memory is very much part of having ADHD, so you’re not alone. Some of the things I’ve done to help improve my memory include a couple of apps from iTunes such as Smart Hand’s Memory Training and a completely silly one for kids called Memory Pro.

Smart Hand’s flashes a series of numbers from 0 to 9 in a random order and locations on the display for several seconds, then you attempt to repeat the sequence within several seconds. Frustrating at first, but I find it helps.

The second one, as I said, is completely silly, but consists of matching pairs of cute animal icons by selecting any two of 24 tiles. I’m sure there are others you can download from iTunes.

The current thinking about thisis a concept called neuroplasticity, meaning the brain can change structurally and functionally when worked, much like constant exercise improves muscle tone. It allows the brain to create new links or re-establish older, less used ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

There are several computer-based memory training tools of which Cogmed is one.

http://www.cogmed.com/

But there are several other similar programs on-line. There is some controversy about the results claimed by Cogmed and it is expensive, but it was recommended to me by my psychologist.

I also do Soduku puzzles on my iPhone also.

My research into working memory seems to indicate these types of memory tools requires using them up to 20 times a day. I haven’t actually done the 20 times per day, but I have noticed that even with casual use, there seems to be an overall improve.

I also work with words and here’s a couple of tips I use to overcome not recalling the correct word when needed. Just write anything on the page, even if it’s not the word you want, you can look into that later. Or leave that space blank and fill in the word later when you do recollect it. The important thing, I think, is to get the idea down without interrupting the flow. Much like spelling, don’t get hung up on perfection at this point.

Another technique I use is Mind Mapping. That helps you get the ideas down quickly while they’re in your head.

http://www.mindmapping.com/

I also do crossword puzzles and it’s amazing how that improved your vocabulary and ability to recall words as required, not to mention the neuroplasticity thing.

Then there is “Toastmasters Interantional” that I have also been thinking about. And in speaking with several co-workers who’ve done it, they said helped them not only speak better, but have learned techniques to think on their feet when giving speeches, I think that may be beneficial to writers such as us.

http://www.toastmasters.org/

Hope this helps…and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

I find my working memory capacity is above average, but my ability to quickly manipulate (i.e. remove non-relevant items) my working memory sucks.

For example I excel at tests like this:

http://cognitivefun.net/test/10

And fail miserably at tests like this:

http://cognitivefun.net/test/4

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

@caper I failed the cogntivefun.net/test/4 mainly because the pictures did not go away fast enough, or I double clicked, and just plain forgot the pictures. I did better with three then I did with two.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)