Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Alienation and Hurtful Comments

Alienation and Hurtful Comments2011-09-16T16:12:45+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Cranky/Arguing/Frustrated Alienation and Hurtful Comments

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

It has been weeks since my last post. There is a reason for that,……unfortunately. Up until a few weeks ago, I (along with a few others who are now absent) were a very regular visitors to this site, enjoying a sense of community, not always found readily in the linear world. This (I thought) was a place away from that world, where it was safe to express opinion, joys, and experience, as well as anguish, struggles, and issues brought on by our difference…..?????

Myself…….I have always maintained a very positive outlook regarding my ADD and my life in particular, always looking to the “Up” side……or for the “Up” side. I never propose to tell others here, or anywhere, what is “universally true”….or what is “universally” right for them…..I share what is right for me, or what my life experience is, and I make every effort to preface all of my comments as such. Always “different but not less”…..is my perspective, I don’t see how that is harmful or unhealthy to me, or to others of my ilk….but???

My experience in the non-ADD world is, at times is….we are not always well received, and in order to be accepted…we must strive to be like them and share their vision, or risk alienation!! I also have experienced, there are an abundance of “linear folks” outside of our world that are quite willing to tell us (at every given opportunity) we are broken toys…….maybe because they don’t understand our vision, or our perception, or how we respond to their world……..what ever???

However……..it seems even here (a safe haven) we, or, I should say, “I”, am not safe from personal attacks and hurtful comments. I’m not sure why anyone would feel it is appropriate to post hurtful comments and engage in name calling, but… it happened. Recently in a post, I was told, …. I am a “classroom bully”, and have no regard for others feelings, or opinions. I was accused of having nothing but contempt for the medical profession or any professional for that matter!!! These comments came from a fellow site member, and could not be farther from the truth….but, there they were.

Finally…… within the same thread I was also chastised for questioning or “blasting with both barrels”… said “experts”. Well, I have to say…speaking out in this manner, I see as not only a right, but as a duty!! Blind faith following, and zealous silencing of others who speak out, in MY opinion… is dangerous. Those who promote that behavior, should be, from my perspective, anyway…… viewed skeptically. Anyway…I have waited a few weeks before posting this response…..and I post it with the hope that folks who frequent this site will make every effort to keep this…..a safe place to share, debate, and visit….without fear of malicious retribution from others within….haven’t we had enough of that from the outside???

thanks….

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Glad to see you back. I don’t know (or perhaps don’t remember) what happened, but I hope you stick around. I really value what you have to say. It’s been really helpful to me.

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

I’m glad to see you back as well! And I’m still wondering what happened to Pete Puma.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi toofat, glad you posted this and are back. I don’t read a lot of posts, so I didn’t see what you’re referring to. (and hopefully it wasn’t me!!!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your kind words T, Q, & No_…..your posts are very much appreciated. No_dope….no, no, nooo…. it wasn’t you at all…..nice of you check in though…….

Quizzical, to your question……I too wonder where Pete is??? I really miss him, particularly his wit and intellect……..he used to make me smile most days….great posts, and a very positive, kinda guy. I welcome positve into my life, always. Often I read P-Puma’s posts to my partner……she giggles. I/we can only hope he returns, and soon. :(

Thanks again folks……

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So glad you are back too!! i just found this site and your words have been helpful to me,the wife of an ADDer. I have read and re read many of your postings!! don’t let a few bad people make the rest of us suffer without you!!!

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

Toofat- I am sorry to hear that there is hateful comments on this site. A friend of my were talking recently about comments that are hateful. (We have blogs and lately she is having problems with hateful comments) The best thing we decided is to take it with a grain of salt. Meaning, if it bother us leave it and forget about, but I found out sometimes I over analyze things. I am so lucky that I have someone to talk to.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi toofat I have always enjoyed your insights and your passion. if I have spoken out of order I am truly sorry.I have been known to have a big mouth.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Hey toofat, glad you are back too. Just checked my old posts. don’t think it was me!

And was also wondering about Pete Puma. He seems to have dropped out 3 weeks ago, but all the posts seemed positive -I checked. maybe he’s on vacation?

I thought Trashman disappeared but according to the member profile he posted something a couple of days ago.

So I guess all present and accounted for. I think we all get used to “seeing” long time familiar, friendly ADD faces here ! And of course newcomers MOFOMOM61

Should we do the old Romper Room magic mirror thing?:-) I see no_dopamine, carrie, quizzical, sugargremlin,memzak,bild, dDpicelady,ladybug, Tiddler, toofat and…

OK look I have ADD, this is really hard, someone help me out…..:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not going to admit to knowing anything about Romper Room 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

no_dopamine: Romper Room: is that a new therapy for ADHDers who can’t sit still?

*blinking innocently, hoping everyone buys my ignorance*

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hahahahahaha…..romper, bomper, stromper, boo. Did all my friends having fun at play…..I see Tiddler and nellie, and laddybug and wolfshades, Trashman ……and…and………holy shit that’s too long ago, you clowns!!!! Gawd that’s 50 years ago……….what a riot!!!

No…. is the answer to all you good souls. None of you here have ever been anything but magnanimous in your posts, even in the heat of vigorous debate……your actually the reason I visit….but thanks for your concern.

I’ve let it go now, thanks, to you good souls……. Hey… maybe Pete’ll show up in the Romper Room mirror too eventually Nellie. Hahahah you kill me!!

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

C’mon toofat, it’s not thaaat long ago, Only like 40….ummm…five…..ish years ago :-) assuming I was 3 or 4 when I watched that. Christ I’m to young to be old!

And I had forgotten that bit she would say before looking into the mirror!

So did you guys watch the Friendly Giant and Mr. Dress Up too?

Wolfshades I’m laughing, I like the idea of a Romper Room therapy – could have used that as a kid! Now wouldn’t it be great if every waiting room or airplane had one?!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your just Sprout…..Nellie, those were re-runs you were watching, I’m sure….hahahahaha….. Our first TV was actually coal powered!!!

“The Friendly Giant….was a hoot…hey…anybody who kept a “special” rocking-chair for those who like to R-O-C-K….is ok in my books!!! :)

Mr. Dress-up…..agh!!! No….. actually I had homicidal thoughts about Finnigan….his puppet buddy!!!! :(

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Truth time: as a *very* young toddler, I remember Romper Room as a favourite show. Really liked the teacher who said she saw me, and wondered if it was true. The Friendly Giant was mesmerizing, and I remember watching him, rapt, every time he moved his hand down to the little room with the rocking chair. Fascinating how the young mind laps that stuff up like it’s real, isn’t it?

Didn’t like Mr. Dressup at *all*. Don’t know why either.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)