Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Another article in the Star…and more ignorant comments, and some sensible ones

Another article in the Star…and more ignorant comments, and some sensible ones2013-02-06T16:13:41+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Adults Another article in the Star…and more ignorant comments, and some sensible ones

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Fabulous

I cringe when I read statements that try to capture it and end up sounding ridiculous.

In response to a crisis, she became massively overwhelmed and found herself spinning and going from room to room in her apartment and not quite knowing what she should be doing next … Thus, a friend suspected she had ADHD? Anyone could react that way to a parent’s death.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Exactly!

It’s not the symptoms themselves that constitute ADHD; it’s how much they impact the different areas of your life; how long you’ve had them; and whether or not they can be attributed to some other cause.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

I read this article the other day and, while I feel sorry for her and I ‘m glad she is better now,  wondered if we were talking about the same ADHD. I know it presents differently for females than males, so maybe I’m missing something here?

My first thought was “Well, we all feel like this when there is a significant emotional event”. Does that make it an automatic ADHD diagnosis in this case? She didn’t have a sense of her life derailing prior to this. Did her doctor (what credentials do they have to accurately make this diagnosis?) do any of the background research to find if she even had this as a child? Where’s the evidence?

I could think of few other conditions that mimic ADHD, such as anxiety for example, and was this investigated? Responding to stimulant medication will for for just about anybody.

And, of course, she writing a book about her experience.

Not a very well written article, I think. Kinda a “fluff” piece, really. But it’s this kind of journalism that just adds to the pool of the skepticism about ADHD because it reinforces the idea that everyone has ADHD at some point in there lives, so why does that make ADHD a disorder?

Anyone else feel this way?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)