Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Any Guitar Players, ADD is an up hill battle

Any Guitar Players, ADD is an up hill battle2011-03-09T21:07:55+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Any Guitar Players, ADD is an up hill battle

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have studied Music and Guitar theory for years, I just recently got diagnosed with ADD, it makes it hard for me to learn anything with bad undiagnosed ADD for my whole life.

I’m 38, love Music, I have struggled with guitar for years. Any advice for this Add person? Thanks so much.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should try playing by ear 27years old brief lessons, just stuck with it an I am no front woman but I am a passable singer songwriter. 😆

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I played guitar and piano for decades. (Even earned my living at it for awhile.) But practicing was hard. Not because I couldn’t pay attention — but it seemed that the harder I tried the worse I got. Go figure. I tired practicing for long periods of time and then for short periods of time. I learned. I never got great at it but I got better. I am not sure how, but I do know that what worked on one day would not necessarily work the next day. My problem was working with other musicians. I do not work or play well with others. LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much, for both of your responses, I understand quite a bit about music including octaves, the 7 major modes, music intrerverls.

I do, understand it, just applying it, BlackADHDer, have not got ear training yet, that’s next.

I have always had a lot of doubt about myself when it comes to learning I’m not stupid or slow its just been ingrained in me since I can remember I have had Add all my life and just got diagnosed less than a year ago.

I guess I’m looking for a little inspiration, Bobbie40N, I would love one day to just be good enough to play in a Lounge band on weekends rocking out on 70’s 80’s music.

That would make me that happiest guy in the world.

Everyone on this site have been so nice and accepting, Thanks again, Ed

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001482361951

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ed2020, I’ve been playing guitar for over forty years. I left off for a while, but now I’m practicing again, and I’m seeing some growth. My practicing is very much likeBobbie40N’s, however, I’m having an easier time playing guitar with other musicians. Not so with piano! I picked it up later in life and it’s driving me crazy. Progress is really slow, not only because of what Bobbie40N describes, but distractability plays a part in it, especially when I’, playing in front of people. Aughh!! All I can say is, if you love it stay with it and there’s a good chance you’ll end up in that band. I would love to read some comments and suggestions from other musicians. This is something I’ve wanted to ask about for some time.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve played guitar for about more than 45 years and haven’t gotten past strumming chords. Just like mrsharrypotter, I get easily distracted and forget the words to most songs I sing. I’ve also been a member of a theatre group for more than 30 years and, although I love performing, I get nervous, forget lines and have had extreme difficulty with the few lead roles I’ve landed. I used to tap dance, but find I have trouble even focusing long enough to remember combinations. So frustrating!

REPORT ABUSE

Ishkabod

I learned Guitar in High school and was able to tune out everything else while playing. This enabled me to perfect a song that none of the other students who had been playing and were always better than me was able to play. I never have been able to play chords. No matter how hard i tried and i tried for a whole year i never could get my fingers to move the way i wanted them to. single notes on the other hand well… i excell at that. Songs and singing well unelss i have something to follow i always mess up or miss whole sections or repeat what i allready sung. That and i can’t tune a guitar without my handy tuner to save my life. My brother got soo annoyed with me in guitar class because he had to tune my guitar for me or else everyone including him would end up hearing the untuned guitar that never bothered me….

Basicly everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and I admire you for your dedication. If you keep it up distractions or not you wil succeed. ADD is something i’ve been diagnosed with for over 20 years. It wasn’t well understood but I know if you pay attention to the strengths it gives you and find those little tricks that help with the weaknesses you can live a really successful life.

Good luck

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a whole lot to everyone who responded to my post I see bits and pieces of myself in all of you. All of you inspire me so much.

I also really like the Piano if my theory is correct Piano is a pattern based instrument too. Based on interverials, all the chords are the same as guitar.

The Piano has seven octaves and the guitar has four if I got it right.

I love music so much its just the focus, and applying it to the guitar fretboard.

You are all truly my hero’s, maybe one day we can stand shoulder to shoulder and jam one day =if I can get myself together.

thanks again. Ed

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’ve read that people with ADHD often find single-note instruments much easier to play than those that involve chords. Which explains why I had a hell of a time trying to learn piano and guitar.

I think the issue is that, with chords, you’re trying to do several things at once: read the music, figure out the chord, and finger the chord with your left hand, while doing something else with your other hand. In the case of a keyboard instrument, you’re doing all that chord stuff with your left hand, while playing the melody (more chords!) with your right.

That’s a lot of processes to juggle at once. And then, just try adding singing!

I played clarinet when I was in grades 7 & 8, and I remember it was very easy for me. I think it was because it involved only playing single notes, not chords, and both hands worked together for the fingering. In fact, the hardest parts were figuring out how to make the reed vibrate (because you have to blow into it a certain way), and getting the breathing right.

Singing, on the other hand, has always come very easily to me. Except singing a harmony line. I have a hell of a time picking that line out of the blend and hanging onto it, which is why I always sing either solo or soprano line.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ed 2020…..yup I’m a lead and slide player and harp player, got my own giging Blues Band. Here is my take…mine only…… music and music theory are all well and good but sitting studying paint and paint techniques will never make me a Master!!! I had a friend who studied bass and studies hard…..couldn’t actually play…..nuthin!!!! Never did. Could preach it all day long.

Time on the strings…nothing replaces it. Sure you can learn couple of scales to get started….. namely the blues scale & minor pentatonic scale and the simple bar chord forms there are really two, the rest are mostly subtle variations on that, you can learn them later That bit of information that will get you almost 90% of rock and roll, blues and pop music out there. Play simple learn theory as you go. I can’t read a note!!!!

If you want to play rock, blues, pop…..not jazz or classical music……don’t worry about theory or modes or all the scales and reading music. Learn to play the 2 scales blind, learn to make and change the chords until it’s second nature. Learn the neck and all the notes on it…over time not first. Hours and hours. It is more fun to do that than learn dry theory and a bunch of useless major chords and strange fingerings you will never play. Listen to how other guitar players do solos, small bits of solos not the whole damn thing then try and copy bits. It will happen. Check out Marty Schwartz free lessons on youtube….there are lots of good instructors free on youtube.

Hint: Practice the – one chord – four chord – and five chord pattern…. in a 12 bar format. If you don’t know what that is the internet will show you that…use these key search words…. simple 12 bar pattern for guitar. It will come up will dozens of sites…all will tell you the same thing. More than enough and simple enough to get you going. Fun!!!

The are sites that will show you tablature…where to place your fingers for almost any song. Type tablature and the song name it will come up with the sites…..get it on. Question is do you have the heart…. are you driven to play???? If you find the answer is yes……….go….do it….play!!!!! It will happen for you. I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS…….!!!!!! Thanks Mr(s) Lennon & McCartney.

Any more questions…. don’t hesitate…. I love to share.

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Opps Ed2020… just a couple more things…. I use an electronic tuner….. can’t tune by ear …so what??? Get a set of light strings 9s are likely the lightest…easy on the fingers until your calouses develop. Use a really soft pick and gradually move to a stiffer one…over time it will make life easier.

Don’t worry about your ear… it will come like learning a strange language, just have fun. The tablature sites will show you the “musical key” the song is played in and your ear will develop. Most or many artists are ADD or ADHD it is one of the great parts of the gift….. same as actors!!!

I play for hours….and hours…….and hours…….and hours………and……

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! It’s great that so many of you are enjoying making music.

I am realizing (again) how fortunate I was to grow-up with a piano in my home. It was an old crappy piano but my mom taught me to read music when I was really little — probably before I started school. Piano is a lot easier when you grow-up playing (I’ve been told) because the hands develop into it. I am not sure what that means exactly, but motor memory is powerful and the sooner you start the better.

Ed, I hope you have fun playing. I quit performing when it stopped being fun. Lugging around the equipment stinks. LOL

If you like to sing, you could learn just three chords and play hundreds (I am not kidding) of songs. They may not be your favorite songs but you need to know hundreds if you want to get work in a club. Think about it – you will work from 9 PM until 2 AM. (And then you load the equipment up and go home.) There are a whole lot of opportunities to play — especially for free — if you want to get some experience. Just learn a 20 songs and go volunteer at a nursing home or something. It is a good experience and the folks really appreciate it. I did that for years before I ever got a paying gig. And it’s okay to take out cheat sheets on such occasions. I would type up the lyrics and chords and put my sheets up on a music stand. Eventually I memorized the song. When you’ve played a song about 500 times, it sinks in and you play by rote and nothing (not even a bar fight) will throw you off. It was, for me, a matter of repetition.

Good luck with it and have fun!

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

Ed2020, toofat is rock solid right on the money here, and I believe he has given you the answer.

You don’t need theory, you need string time. There’s music in that box, just waiting for you to let it out. It won’t happen tomorrow, it will happen only (ever) right now. Pick up the axe and make some sound. Pick it up. If you like what you hear, do that some more. If you don’t, then change it up. Your fingers will learn by themselves what needs to happen.

We’re ADD… don’t overthink it. Let the music out of the box zen style. Don’t think, do. Try YouTube. Find the music that works for you and then clear your head and let your fingers find the way. Music isn’t an engineering feat, it’s in your heart and you just need to let it out.

You’ve got to make up your mind whether you want to be a technical musician, or learn to play the guitar. The first will require years of lessons. The latter can start tonight.

Grab that axe… Make music! Do!

Here’s a guy, that likely spent a good many years of now-time with his guitar. I’ll bet he isn’t using sheet music. He’s learned to connect his heart to his fingers to his ears. I think he’s got some potential:

Best of luck, and many callouses! I dragged an acoustic classical all over the east coast on my back. By the time I got back to the mountain west, I had some music to play. Still do, 40 years later.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is great advice from toofat! I’d like to post a quote I keep up over my piano where I can see it when I practice. “I may have to try, try and try again with no results for a thousand times before I get even the inkling of a result, but if I don’t try, it may never happen.” Jill Bolte Taylor.

Also, from “The Legend of Bagger Vance”, “Don’t see it s a dragon you have to slay” and, “Seek it with your hands”.

Above all, enjoy it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is amazing, toofat, I am aware of the 1, 1V, V Chord progressions thanks I will remember to add that in. I have lots of equipment just bought one of those Fretlight guitars last year.

Time to start shredding the fingers, thanks so much everyone feel free to join my Facebook you are all like family to me thanks again. Toofat, maybe one day I will have my own band too, is their anything better than that?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)