Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Because we all know that A.D.D. is just so bloody hilarious…

Because we all know that A.D.D. is just so bloody hilarious…2011-04-26T02:24:15+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Most Hostile/Ignorant Thing I've Heard Because we all know that A.D.D. is just so bloody hilarious…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I found this casting notice on Mandy.com: http://www.mandy.com/1/cast3.cfm?v=43272748

Evidently, a future cinematic bright light (dim bulb) in Humber’s Film program has chosen to make a short film about a private investigator who has severe A.D.D. According to this future Cecil B. DeMille (whose name is Ben Mackle), “The humour may be considered a little offensive and misogynistic, but it is all in good fun.”

Yeah, and a bunch of angry letters to the head of Humber’s Film program, expressing extreme disgust that young Mackle sees fit to mock something so debilitating, and about which he clearly knows nothing, may also be considered a little offensive, but to us, A.D.D. is no joke.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Well it’s supposed to be a comedic parody of a film noir detective film ( whatever that is), so won’t the test really be on how clever a parody it is? In effect, the ADD could be secondary. If it’s funny then does it really matter? If not, it’s a bomb and no one will want to watch it anyway. Let’s face it, all someone needs to do is read some of our posts on this site about what we’ve done or forgotten and then they’ll have real fodder for dark comedy :-)

REPORT ABUSE

jasman

I have always wanted to be funny. With ADD I am as successful at being funny as I am at anything else. So when I saw the posting on Mandy, I was very interested in the role. Maybe I could be funny if someone else did the writing. Too old for the part, darn. I have done a few student films and “offensive, misogynistic” are some of the things the students are learning NOT to do. By doing them. That’s college for you.

Larynxa, please indulge me another point of view: This misguided naive student may be a fellow ADD’er, new to managing his gift. And he may be expressing himself in a clumsy way that may be familiar to a few of us.

Let’s all go and see it when it comes out. If we can’t laugh at ourselves, we are at risk of taking offensive when others do.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Personally, I do not believe one should attempt any type of story without fully understanding the subject. Would “Monk” be as successful as it was if the show’s writers and producers did not understand and attempt to communicate Adrian’s discomfort with the world and its causes?

But that’s besides the point. There’s already been two comedy series featuring detectives/crimefighters that couldn’t notice things right in front of them – Get Smart and Inspector Gadget. While I would not say that either of these characters were meant to be ADD, they were like many comedic male leads, totally clueless. Unlike Adrian Monk, they did not succeed because of their “gifts,” but in spite of them.

So while this future fimmaker may believe they have hit upon the next goldmine, trust me, there’s nothing new to see here.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)