Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Biphentine?

Biphentine?2010-03-02T19:34:30+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Biphentin Biphentine?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are just starting on this med? Wonder if anyone has feedback?

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

My son swears by it. He is 22 and at university. He said it is very even in it’s effect and makes a huge difference in his ability to get his homework done, follow his profs and lectures, and get started on homework or assignments.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Biphentin people. No e at the end.

uses MLR (multilayer release) technology, kind of like an onion skin where the peels come off over time. All the beads are the same and you can sprinkle it on yogurt if you don’t like swallowing pills.

This is only available in Canada for those of you in the rest of the world wondering what the heck this is.

REPORT ABUSE

April

I have rec’ a clinical diagnosis of ADD. It has been suggested that I start with Atteral. I googled the contraindicators — I find them extremely scary. Is there anything I can do naturally or is there a less scary drug out there.

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

April- when you have some time watch some of the informational videos on the totallyadd.com WEBsite. Dr Jain and the team have put together a great package explaining ADD, how it affects people, and treatment strategies.

He stresses that, although some people go on the meds long term, for a lot of ADDers medications are a powerful short term tool that help you “reprogram” your life, routine and behaviours in ADD-friendly terms. Once these all important basic routines become ingrained, the brain should carry them out the same way, almost in an “auto pilot” mode when the meds are stopped.

Like all medications, those for ADD have side effects and contra-indications. In the end, it becomes sort of a “cost benefit” analysis. ie what are the potential problems/hazards of the medication and how do those comapre to the benefits?

The ADD meds typically fall into 2 groups: stimulant based, and non-stimulant based.

The stimulant-based treatments like Ritalin, Dexedrine, Biphentin, Adderal, etc have enjoyed incredible success in ADD treatment but have also gotten a pretty bad rap in the media. There is a LOT of misinformation on the internet about them. This WEBsite as well as the http://www.caddra.ca and http://www.caddac.ca WEBsites offer a great place to start informaing yourself with medically correct, non-biased information about the different meds available.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

April,

Turbo is right, I have been on Adderal for about six months now and truthfully it makes all the difference in the world. What I found is if you take the time to read the contraindications of medications they will scare the heck out of you. It is time for a “reality check” If the contra-indications were the norm then why is it that stimulent medications so widely used? The answer is they work and usually are well tolerated. Contraindications cover extreme circumstances that are NOT the norm but under extreme situations have occured.

Medications such as Adderal target specific rececptors in the ADD brain and help it to “settle down” so that you can function more predictably and to your satisfaction; as Dr. Jain has said before stimulent based medications have been given a bad rap over the years their effectiveness is well documented since the 1930s.

All I can say is try it and then decide for yourself. Adderal works for me maybe it will work for you. Believe me when I say, not treating ADD is far scarier than the medication because of the amount of control you have in your life is far less.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are a methylphendiate lover, Biphentin would be the rough equivalent of Adderall XR.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there anywhere I can read up on biphentin? My ADD psych told me to research this and Concerta before seeing him again at the end of the summer (formal diagnosis then). The descriptions for each drug on this forum that are pinned to the top of each section all sound the same to me, in terms of side effects. How can I find out more about how they work with ADDers? What’s different between the two and why would one be preferable to the other?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

For what it’s worth no_dopamine,

I tried Biphentin and and at 40mg was totally wired. I tried Concerta and the first two weeks seemed fine but then ended up feeling anxious, had trouble sleeping but decided to stick with it to see if it would go away. About a month later noticed I had totally gone back to my old habits of procrastination and what not. So in effect it didn’t work for me. I now switched back Ritalin and am starting to catch up on the mess ( figuratively speaking) I’ve made!

However, I think in the end you just have to try one since everyone reacts differently.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nellie,

Thanks, that helps. I think we’re around the same age too (I’m halfway to 56).

I found this article from an Oakville Ontario add doc which was helpful: http://www.addadhdblog.com/biphentin-the-newest-addadhd-medication-in-canada/#b212a

It sounds like it might be good for me vs Concerta since I have the most trouble getting started in the morning. I have had big-time sleep issues (sleep study coming up) so I don’t want to mess that up. Right now I am experimenting with 10 mg Ritalin 3x/day. The ADD psych suggested I keep a log and see how I feel at each stage (before taking, mid-dose at 2 hrs, coming off at 4 hrs, etc) and see how it goes, then try adding 5 mg, etc.

At 10 mg I feel pretty good and I only get tired in the evening, which helps me want to go to bed. Have been having good night’s sleep except waking up around 6 am to go to bathroom, it’s light out by then, so maybe I need light-blocking shades in my bedroom to sleep in until 7 or 7:30 am. Maybe I should get up at 6 am but I haven’t done that in years since I’ve been my own boss :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can find specific information on Biphentin here:

http://www.caddra.ca/cms4/pdfs/caddraGuidelines2011Document7B_MedInfo.pdf

or also check out the Sponsored Video Section of our site:

http://totallyadd.com/sponsored-video-4-discussion-with-your-doctor

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My son 8 yr old son is on Biphentin . We saw an improvement in focus on 10mg but now that the doctor has put him on 20mg his attitude is quite beligerent and sometimes rude. This is not who he is normally , not sure if this could be due to the increase in the dose.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our 8 year old son is also on Biphentin (2 weeks now) and we have noticed similar issues (sometimes rude, mood swings, anxious) so we are thinking a dosage problem. He is on the 30 mg dose and was on 36 mg Concerta which worked well on his ability to focus but would be awake until sometimes 10pm. We will give it another week (once he is back at school) and see if things settle down with a better routine.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 8 year old daughter is on 20mg on Biphentin and I have noticed a huge difference in her concentration. It has not affected her appetite or sleep at all and she has had no changes in her personality.

REPORT ABUSE

caper

My doc mentioned biphentin, but the price close to Concerta. I’m on 3 Apo MPH-SR (20mg)/day now, and I can focus better on boring tasks vs. 54mg Concerta & it costs less than 1/3 the price. I’m taking 2 in the am & 1 at noon, but it doesn’t last long enough into the evening. Next appointment I’m going to get him to up my prescription to 4/day so I can take 2 when I get up, 1 ~4hrs later & 1 ~8hrs later.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)