Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Car parks are a nightmare!

Car parks are a nightmare!2011-08-11T12:55:01+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs Car parks are a nightmare!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

laddybug3

I hit the house and almost hit a tree. I try to park away from cars and I only had my license for a week. I don’t like driving with so many cars. Oh, and I parked so I could pulled forward and not gone in reverse it didn’t work.

Drove in the rain yesterday and every part of me was shaking as I turned into the parking lot until I turned off the car. My parking was really good though. Oh, and I parked in anther parking lot because the parking lot was full of cars and it just stressed me out so much. However, I had a stuff animal and I would talk to it and tell it what I was feeling and afraid of then laugh waiting for a response that never came.

I noticed that I shake uncontrollably when in reverse or parking lots. It is a surprise that I got my license at all. Of course everyone that has driven with me claims I am a good driver.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just wanted to say that I have driven an manual (standard) transmission for the past 40 years. I find that i enjoy driving more, I find automatics boring and lead me more to distraction. I often wondered if folks with ADHD were more likely to enjoy driving a “stick”. It seems that it can go either way. I used to like to drive fast, but now I know I just don’t like to be behind anyone. Yes, I would rather drive out of my way, rather than be stuck in traffic. My only problem with this is I can get lost in a brown bag. So I would sit in traffic…something my sons had to endure. Now I have a GPS, which I note, that sometimes I ignore the instructions? What is that about?

REPORT ABUSE

caper

lakelly, I had an aha moment when reading your post. I prefer manual transmisstion too, but currently drive an automatic. I often go on automatic pilot thinking about things other than my driving (I agree driving itself is boring). I think you are right that since driving a manual requires more work it is easier to pay attention to your driving.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, what reinforcement. Thanks caper.

However, I never felt that driving a “stick” was more work. It is just so enjoyable.

I have fantasies of driving on the autobahn with a vintage convertible Porche and just letting it rip. Wow what an exciting vision. One I have been able to think about over and over again.( I always told my sons that I wanted one, but with only one seat) It took them awhile, but they “get it” now!

Unfortunately, I have heard they have restrictions on the autobahn speed now, True? I don;t know. BUT, the fantasy of having a vintage Convertible Porche, is just that, a fantasy.

Wouldn’t it be cool if I could provide some VCP to rent, for folks who share the fantasy! Wow, if only I had the money I might have my next career move. Whooo, that was fun, thanks caper.

lakelly

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also see myself in this thread I have driving problems mainly just staying focused on the road and paying attention to the traffic around me. I frequently forget to check my blind spot before merging and get honked at frequently. I have also been into car accidents I was never hurt but I totaled 2 cars.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really hate reversing out of car parks. I can deal with the car manouvering without a hitch, but there are so many things to be aware of besides the driving – how close are the cars either side, is there somebody walking behind or alongside my car, is there a car driving past, is there a car pulling out of the car park opposite to mine, is one of the cars either side of me moving, is there a shopping trolley or other obstacle in the way….and of course this can all change in an instant and the whole lot has to be checked over and over again as I’m reversing. I have had so many close calls (thank goodness for other people’s car horns!!), and quite a few minor prangs (into trees, poles, and other scenery) that I am paranoid and take it really slow and carefully.

I also dislike stop-start traffic, enjoy country driving, and drive too fast and impatiently. I am lucky I drive a small car, or else my fuel consumption would be through the roof! I drive a manual (stick shift) as I like the control it gives me, and I think having something to concentrate on keeps me focussed. I think I would zone out much more if I drove an automatic.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I think that’s it- automated responses or not – your body has to coordinate the clutch action with shifting if you don’t want to tear things up.

You might not know it or be thinking about it at the time – but it requires attention where an automatic is mindless. You simply aim and push a pedal.

I love my automatics – my truck is automatic and backing and wrestling around a 20′ car trailer with a car on board would not be fun at all if the truck was a stick – but the fun car, the little Eagle, is a 5 speed – a joy to run. My classic/show car is auto, It is easier to load on the trailer, etc. due to that, but if I get another like it, it would be a stick

I HATE city driving – start and stop. I insisted on the backup camera and parking assist sonar on my new truck. Mostly the reasons listed above, especially by krazykat (aren’t all cats crazy, though?)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In support of cats, I find them fascinating creatures, as pets and in the wild. They are inquisitive, playful, and know when they need to “get away”.

They remind me of myself…..did I mention intelligent? :]

Hey, you guys are great, I just realized I mis-spelled my fantasy car, Porshe, thanks for not beating me up for that, my dad would have had a field day with me on that one! He hated cats…hmmmm….

REPORT ABUSE

billd

mis-spelling – another ADD sign……..

I have a cat fault – I can recall being young, perhaps 3 or 4 and my parents had a candle that was a black cat standing as if human (you know like a cartoon character, but pretty realistic) and they decided to light it one day to show how nice it was.

I cried my eyes out and it still hits me thinking about that darned candle – it WAS a cat after-all.

And when I read about animal abuse (cats, dogs, horses) in the news, it’s a good thing my mama taught me right and wrong, and I’d probably find out where they lived, go there and well……… you’d be reading about ME then. I’d probably do to them what they did to the animal.

But then we’ve drifted off-topic. Sounds like an ADD’er speech. 45 minutes about a 5 minute topic, but only 2 minutes of it was on-topic, eh?

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I totally get crying over the candle – I am at the total mercy of my emotions. And I am bonkers about cats. I went to the shelter years ago to get a kitten and got 5 cats of various ages. I’d have ended up with 12 if my ex hadn’t put his foot down! I only have 2 of them left now – a mix who plays fetch and a Bombay who follows me everywhere.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0ByH2fK4o&feature=player_embedded

Sorry for the indulgence. I hope I’m allowed to post links on here. It’s just a daft cat video but it made me smile!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Hey, we’re mostly ADD/ADHD here – a little diversion is cool HA!

I freak at the thought of someone hurting a kitten or cat. I can’t go to the ARL (animal rescue league) or just browse and I want to save them all. Ended up adopting Pickle from the ARL, then going and buying 2 Tonkinese kittens – to give Yawnie, our older (6) kitty someone to keep him company after Shadow and Punkin had to be put to sleep (old age and illness, Punky was 19, Shadow was 15 and had a tumor around the intestine)

If I even THINK I see a dead cat along the highway, I almost have nightmares.

The Tonks love fetch (as did Punkin – he’d play catch, football, you name it) The Tonkinese also love to ride on shoulders and drape around your neck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since we have already digressed I am going to attempt,again, to post a video from you tube that would melt anyone’s heart…stay tuned i keep messing up, but i am determined! and if i can’t figure it out my youngest son will be able to assist me later. It is so frustrating…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here it is, i think…..if it is not a cat and a dolphin I messed up. the link I have is in Japanese or Chinese…hope it works http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCKSN1SlM9ug%26feature%3Dautoshare&h=AAQDLrj1TAQB_FBTFsCrRbrlZ1XU8HTlTMxkydEnzY0OgUAi…

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Where’s the *Like* button? There are so many answers here that I’m *Like*!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)