Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Chronically missing stairs and losing balance

Chronically missing stairs and losing balance2011-07-01T04:29:45+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs Chronically missing stairs and losing balance

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Curlymoe115

Got a new job, (working for an employment agency, more flexible and tolerant) and the things they get me to do is scary. I had to carry 2 boxes down a long narrow flight of stairs. So I used my elbow to judge when I got to the bottom so I wouldn’t stumble on the last stair. I made it, but it was a pretty harrowing experience.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OMG! I am so glad I found this forum. I am so clumsy in all the ways described. I also have had several concussions, some serious lasting months from falling. One example: twisted ankle on curb, tried to catch myself on pole next to me ina the basement. Ended up falling forward and smacking forhead on the curb. Knocked myself out. sprained ankle, bruised knee and shin.It was horrible.

That was 8 years ago.

I think that I am always looking two steps ahead instead of focusing on what I am doing in the moment.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh by th way I have had several concussions. Last year I also had a big one. I was lifting a heavy object, over my head, Lost my grip and it wopped me on the side of my head and jaw. That time I was really injured. Lost peripheral vision, had apasia, and had headaches and inability to remember things. I am back at work but every ADHD symptom is worse. I am always worried that I am going to piss off someone so much that I will lose my job, and that is stressing me out a lot. I have made it 7 years there. But I am exhausted just trying to keep up.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think many of us can relate! You know your ADD/ADHD when you regularly trip UP the stairs, bump into walls that have always been there, desks, parked cars while walking, trees, other people etc.etc.etc :) Being clumsy is sometimes part and parcel of the package…we are no ballerinas that’s for sure! Then again, the same clumsy people sometimes have fantastic hand-eye coordination…we are fascinating, don’t you think?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Often! And I still remember the time that happened on my first day of high school in front of a big group!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t miss stairs necessarily but I do find I’m “clumsy”. I just about always have bruises or cuts, and nearly always manage to burn myself when cooking from just not paying attention and trying to get things done quickly. I’ve also missed curbs or steps down. I’m extra careful with stairs since I rolled down stairs when I was five and shattered a vase. (It was my brother’s fault for showing me how they could be sneaky and watch tv by leaning out over the stairs.)

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

I fall upstairs a lot. I fall off the sidewalk, or just plain fall down while I’m walking. I walk into door frames and protruding corners of furniture. I drop and spill things. If I have to carry multiple objects, I do it awkwardly. My sense of the space around me or of how objects move and interact is not that great. No problem at all with fine motor skills, like writing or drawing – but clumsy when it comes to running, throwing, riding a bike. Poor sense of balance. I can accurately guess the size of a fixed space by looking at it, such as part of a room, which I’ve confirmed by measuring – but I can’t parallel park. When I’ve tried exercise classes in which the instructor faced the room, I couldn’t watch them and move the same arm or leg – can’t reverse my position in my mind. I’d have to be standing behind someone to copy their movements. I can’t follow the directions to fold anything in a complicated way unless I see it dozens of times – as in doing origami or making clothes look nice on a shelf. I can’t wrap a gift without it looking like a kid did it. Weird, huh? The problem seems mostly to be in navigating through space. If I can rely on visual cues, I do a lot better.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Reading these comments (as always!) is like watching the movie of my life!

I am always losing arguments with stairs, doorways, flat ground… Yeah, I fall a LOT. I constanly have at least 1 bruise of unidentified origin. Right now, there’s a bruise on one arm and on a leg, and a scratch on an arm…no clue where any of them came from.

My crowning glory was the day I ‘tripped’ over a wet tissue in a parking lot…yeah…

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

A few years ago, during a visit to my parents’ house, I decided to jump from the 3rd step down to the landing, as I’d done when I was a child.

Unfortunately, I forgot that I’ve grown a couple of feet taller since then. I was reminded of this inconvenient fact when my head connected sharply with the ceiling, and I saw stars for a few minutes.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I still have a dent in my sin from falling up the stairs, was forever falling down the stairs when I was a kid. My last episode of almost falling (granted I’m sick with the flu and kind of dizzy) was about an hour ago. Aside fro scaring the cat all is ok.

I also cut myself a lot when I’m chopping veggies etc.

REPORT ABUSE

zeldakit
    Participant

I’m always in a hurry even when there is no reason to hurry. I do everything at Warp Speed. I was changing light bulbs in my bedroom and of course used a three step ladder. It’s very heavy, made of metal. What did I do? I ran up the first two steps and my foot caught under the third step and it threw me forward and down into the rail on the top (I guess you could say). I smashed my chin and split it open. I was too embarrassed to have to explain to ppl what happened because someone was sure to inquire so I didn’t make too many outings until it healed up. I’m very creative but couldn’t think of anything that could legitimately explain what happened other than what really happened!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)