Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Chronically missing stairs and losing balance

Chronically missing stairs and losing balance2011-07-01T04:29:45+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs Chronically missing stairs and losing balance

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone else chronically miss the last or second to last stair? It’s like my brain is getting ready to transition from stairs to flat, and I misjudge how far the stair is. I’ve nearly killed myself (and others) doing this, so I take the elevator now.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I fall upstairs all the time. I tentatively place my foot down when I feel I am coming to the last stair because I have fallen up or down the stairs a lot. I also always seem to stumble in the crack of sidewalks and fall off curbs. My doctor told me that I have poor situational balance. I completely lose sight of where I am and misjudge distances. My friends also scolded me a lot growing up of walking on them or bumping into them. I could never walk in a straight line, I always tended to end up walking into them. In the winter especially I spend a lot of time falling on the ice. I also have turned my ankle dozens of times just by putting my feet down wrong. When driving I tend to ride the inner line of the lane.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

me too, maybe its because we are all in a hurry.or are we all just not watching were we are going. or am i the only one that is always in a hurry.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

me too, maybe its because we are all in a hurry.or are we all just not watching were we are going. or am i the only one that is always in a hurry. i was going to post this and my computer said slow down you move to fast.lol

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

me too, maybe its because we are all in a hurry.or are we all just not watching were we are going. or am i the only one that is always in a hurry. i was going to post this and my computer said slow down you move to fast.lol. still in to much of a hurry sorry.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess we found another “feature” of ADD. @curlymoe, I’ve had a high ankle sprain for 10 years now; chronic. I like to say I injured it in an argument with a flight of stairs. (Of course, the ADD means icing it properly was not really possible: “has it been 20 minutes yet? Am I doing this right? Why do we say right to mean correct? Why not left? Is it political? And why is it called politics? Doesn’t poly mean many? So is it a lot of tics? So politics is a bunch of blood sucking creatures! hahahah—why is my leg cold?)

I’ve been walking more carefully now, and focusing on where I put my foot. I too kept walking awkwardly, running into people. It’s gotten better in just a few days. I think knowing that it’s the ADD helps to manage it–I don’t feel helpless anymore.

Oh, and the timer on the iPhone is a godsend.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m always in a hurry and do it all the time. Usually escape with just embarrassment, but once broke my leg in the ankle. Of course it’s never the same again. Grrrr…..

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

When I was 8 months pregnant with Pigheaded I was going to get groceries, missed the bottom 2 steps and ended up severely spraining my ankle. I was then having to hop up and down the stairs to look after 4 year old Pigpen and so was hobbling up and down stairs and having to take her to daycare. The only thing that made the ankle better was the fluid they forced through me when I had a c-section with Pigheaded. Suddenly for the first time in weeks it didn’t hurt. 8)

REPORT ABUSE

faeirynuff

my 3 year old was taken away from me monday .. child protection agency believe im a drunk because for last 18 months of approx 50 ‘UNPLANNED VISITs’ :ive nearly always been staggering about tripping over things and slurring my words .even tho im diagnosed aadd .. they think my doc talks bull.. wen he tells them its normal especially under stress even tho he is their consultant spsychatrist in psychotherapy .. .. no shit

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I don’t know whether it is a lot more common, in reality, for Social Services to take more of an interest in us and our kids. When mine were little they always came sniffing around. When Pigpen was older and we went asking them for help they were less then helpful. They finally decided that the best thing was if she left home and went to live with her grandfather because he was 2000 miles away from the trouble she was in. They had no programs for teen girls in Alberta, lots of programs for teen boys. A lot of ADD and ADHD people I know have a lot of Social workers coming around. You should insist that they administer a drug test instead of just accusing you. I trip over my own feet. Good luck dealing with these people. Most of them come from troubled backgrounds themselves so they often see the boogie man where none exists, and then they work with true abusers for months and years longer then these children should be there.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

There are several reasons for this for me:

* ADHD – I lose concentration of what I’m doing (up or down stairs, I daydream) I often miss steps

* My vision – bifocals don’t help!

* My Meniere’s – pretty severe at times, I can fall down on a level floor. I’m on meds for that, and had to take some therapy sessions to teach my brain how to compensate. Looking down the aisles in a store can make me dizzy.

*This bloody @#%$@#$ strattera! Man this stuff is nasty!

Let’s see – split knee cap in half

Broken little toes at least 3 times

got hand in table saw, nearly lost index finger and thumb on left hand (I’m left handed)

several car accidents (one with broken collar bone)

torn bicep tendon (ripped it off the bone – yeah, my left arm again)

Is it me, or ADHD? Mom always said i was a very clumsy kid.

Now something to make you feel a bit better – my cat Yawnie loves to race us up and down stairs. One day I made a move to the stairs leading to the main floor but changed my mind. Yawnie got a good head start 15 feet behind me, ran to the stairs at full tilt, made the first two, missed the next, flipped and slammed his head into the next step, flew into the next with his back, and fell back down limp and twisted. He was out for a few seconds. He literally bruised a kidney, smacked his back and suffered head trauma.

So if a CAT, the sleek talented athlete of the animal world can do such things………. don’t feel badly if you miss a step or two.

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

I never even considered this before! Although I don’t chronically miss steps now I am very paranoid about the top step. As a kid I remember numerous sprained ankles, twisted knees, torn cartilage. Now that i think about it in 7th grade i misjudged a step and ended up taking 3 at time going down and sprained my ankle. I was always coming up with new bruises and not remembering where I got them. I broke a finger and sprained the one next to it because I insisted on running down a just waxed hallway at a school and landed on my hand. I cut a finger to the bone trying to cut stuff off a ring that I had used to keep the ring from falling off. I stood on a folding chair to fix a party decoration at my brother’s wedding and had the chair fold up on my foot and broke a bone. I am always burning myself when I cook. I hate to cook. I don’t sprain ankles anymore because I walk with a cane now but I still burn myself all the time when I cook.

A couple of years ago I tried to separate two extension cords with a pair of scissors WHILE THEY WERE STILL PLUGGED IN! My daughter witnessed that one. Fortunately the scissors had a plastic handle so it was just sparks and a damaged pair of scissors but to this day I keep telling myself I know better than to do that. I know there are many other incidents of clumsy, downright dangerous behavior that I can’t recall at the moment.

I just never linked this to my ADD before.

Should I be linking this with ADD?

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

@faeirynuff do you have legal help? This sounds like a legal issue. I may have a solution for you if you dont already have a lawyer but I want to check with the site managers to see if its ok to post this information.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I think inattention to detail is definitely connected to ADD as well as doing things without fully thinking through the consequences. We are always in such a hurry to complete the job we rarely think logically through the steps to get the job done. A plugged in extension cord being cut could potentially have killed you or at least seriously hurt you. Looking back you see the error of this but at the time didn’t it just seem expedient to get it done. We also get distracted so we reach for something without even thinking about it, or grab it with a cloth that isn’t appropriate for the task.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

It’s in the possible symptoms list here on this site – as well as several others related to ADD/ADHD and job performance, etc.

Being accident prone, more than typical car accidents – yeah, it’s in there….. ;-)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)