Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Cogmed working memory training

Cogmed working memory training2012-01-22T00:10:54+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Cogmed working memory training

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My boyfriend set me up with this website. He’s the computer geek. He said he purchased it. I’ll find out who the originator was and where it was purchased. My sincere apologies, for I didn’t mean any confusion. He’s traveling in Asia on business, but will see what he can do.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi SurferGirl – that would be good thank you.

It can’t be too difficult to change your avatar here because I managed to add my own photo and my computer skills are poor. I just upgraded from chalk and slate!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Scatty you’re a riot !

BTW, there must be some form of moderation on the blogs. I once made a comment on a blog post which had quite a few comments by other people already. Mine didn’t show up except if I logged in and it showed a comment along the lines of “your post is awaiting moderation.” Despite the fact that other people’s comments showed up mine took at least a month to be approved. I didn’t say anything provocative so not sure why.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Nellie -that’s because we put your name on the terrorist list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZisTrw5FU&feature=fvst

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

“Scatty you’re a riot !”

Oh dear nellie – maybe I should only post on here when my meds are in my bloodstream!!

😆

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

From what Barkley says about Executive Functions and externalized controls, is there anything to

show how successful Cogmed has been for people like us with ADHD?

I have seen their website .. seems to be a franchised skillset, but does it work?

Or is it like our drugs .. for some they work and others not so much?

Trying to control impulsiveness by knowing what hole i throw money in .. drugs arent working on me at all

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Rand I am sorry to hear the drugs don’t work. I find mine work better on some days than others and it seems to depend on whether I have remembered to be good to myself – like eating at proper mealtimes and going to bed on time. If I am tired and hungry they have to work harder.

I also noticed that they work better if I take them in the morning and then continue (am on short lived methylphenidate) through the day. If I wait until afternoon before I take one then the grumpy mindset is already there.

Everyone is different. I can’t do the cogmed stuff without the help of meds – well I can but it’s not so easy……. Not that it’s easy….. Ahaha.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Rand – from what I know, which isn’t much (but probably more than most), and what I have seen and heard on this site, etc. I would not invest my money in any program, expensive program, offering help or cure of ADHD. Certainly there would be some benefit, possibly huge benefit for some, but results are not guaranteed, nor do they seem to be lasting. Beware of what you may read to the contrary by other “members”, they may be a wolf indisguise.

Instead, I would look at cheaper alternatives such as luminosity, or one of the books on “brain exercised and health.” If these seem to help, it may be an indication that a program such as Cogmed may be of benefit. Other than that, I would think that, like meds, it may or may not work, depending on the particulars of your symptoms.

I think toofat had some great ideas he uses, several of which I have discovered on my own. They are on the thread: http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=2266#post-20616

The first and most obvious things to do are make sure you’re getting enough sleep, exercise, and healthy food. Then go from there.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Oh yeah I echo that. There are a lot of sharks out there. If it’s not done by a proper face to face coach then don’t. I have seen sites that almost promise to cure ADD. Yeah right like that can happen (said in sarcastic tone but maybe it’sjust disguised anger – see Dr J’s blog!).

If I try out stuff like that it’s usually just from something I read.

REPORT ABUSE

crystalsphinx
    Participant

I like your humor, scatty, I would be royally pissed if someone stole my avatar :? Don’t they have a life?

REPORT ABUSE

crystalsphinx
    Participant

:(Btw: I tried out the cogmed 2yrs ago when it first arrived in Canada. It’s really expensive and In my opinion it only worked in the short term, not long term. I was really disappointed . I know it isn’t a cure all but I hoped the memory work would have lasted more than 2years.

There’s always new things to look for and try…..

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)